Register now to get rid of these ads!

What if a crotch rocket & modified collided???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skipstitch, Sep 10, 2004.

1. skipstitch

skipstitch

Is it traditional... NOPE. But it did make for a few minutes thinkin' outside the box & wastin' Ink!!! Let's see, big CC air cooled mill, big & little superbike tires, and some exotic lookin' homespun rear swing axle set up.... THEN tie it all together with a '34 Ford inspired body.
    I can almost hear the Nasty exhaust note while I'm workin' thru the gears....

Attached Files:

2. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

3. skipstitch

skipstitch

It's on the "to build" list... after about 100 others!!! [​IMG]

Now all I gotta do is scrounge the local bike scrap yard for a crashed Kawasaki or two!!!

4. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That rules! How about a V-twin motor?

5. Spottty

Spottty
    from Calgary

There is a car in the UK that has 2 motorbike engines in it and its awd. Did 0-60 in 2.8 secs [​IMG]

You should totaly build it!! It would win every engineering award out there! (Not that trophys are what its about, just sayin)

6. skipstitch

skipstitch

A V-twin would be cool... just because it would sound better at idle!!! Hey Spotty, do you have pics of that car?

7. Spottty

Spottty
    from Calgary

8. Hip

Hip

Thats what i like to see skipstich, MORE CUSTOMS!!! I think the craze is finally turning away from pure hotrods (not that theres anything wrong with them at all) and leaning a little more now toward creative ability, and like i made it well known in my first post i lean way towards customs. Whether you take a vehicle and work the thing into something that is a mild custom like what should have actually come off the assembly line , or a balls out custom still oozing with taste, now thats what turns me on. Creativity my brothers, and everyones got their own interpitation which makes it even more interesting. Thats my 2-3...4 cents worth. [​IMG]

9. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

How about 2 stroke engines. Two 800 cc Polaris liquid cooled snowmobile engines worked over to easily crank over 200 horse each. Run them through the snowmobile cluches and belts to a jackshaft running to the rear diff and you have engines that can be dialed to stay right on the torque peak all the way down the 1/4 mile without ever shifting. A hand hammered aluminum body like your art work in a 1200 pound car and you would have a screamer.

10. Phil1934

Phil1934

My favorite part of the old R&C was the Thom Taylor sketch pads. (Although I still remember the Vega taillight one). Yet no one seems to customize pre '36 cars. I don't know if it's the cost versus potential loss of customer base, after all, when you do a custom, no matter how well, some people will not like it, or if it is a matter of old cars losing their hot rod edge. Even the Rat's glass/Alloway cars have a slickness to them that detracts from their hot rod appeal. And C to C and Down's don't even get on the meter. Hot Rod's latest mag said "Street rods must evolve or die." I agree, but the question becomes, which mods don't lose the edge or "it" with deferences to Dr, J. [​IMG]I think custom grilles or noses work, less crown to the roof, enlarged and raised wheelwells, custom headlights. I'd like to see a pre '33 with a narrowed track. Reduce the rear fenders to just the outside edge and move the fronts in to match, cut them off at the hood line and fabricate an inner fender panel like '33 to '35 have. Voila, a smaller car without a loss of interior space. What doesn't work for me is air vents other than louvers, hidden hinges and handles, the full on interiors with consoles, etc. Save that for late '30's and up.

11. rusty210

rusty210

Not at all the design you're talking about, but has a v-twin. I bet it would be fun to drive.

[​IMG]

12. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Looks like a modern version of a Morgan or Messerschmdt.

13. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I've got you're engine right here. It's not american but it is a V2. How about a supercharged Moto Guzzi. This thing rules.

Attached Files:

14. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

holy shiite, thats fuckin sick. carbed, or efi?

15. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Looks EFI. And it is sick. Way cool... Hmmmm maybe in an old El Dorado...

17. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I just sold my '75 850T cafe. It's shown in a tonti frame like mine. That would loads of fun. I sounds cool too. My 850T had straight pipes and sounded great. Cops weren't big fans of it though. Here's link to the site for more pics.

kick ass guzzi

18. Bugman

Bugman

Killer concept, and it wouldn't be to hard to pull off. Mini outlaw cars use cycle based drivelines. Get one of them, rework the frame, and make a new body. Then go pick on mustangs and cameros.

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yeah and Legends cars with the FJ1100 motor in them. They're supposed to be kept pretty close to stock, a local guy didn't like that idea. It was pretty sick, I had a roller for an FJ to use on the dyno, the engine made 234hp at the rear wheel. It was cool.... He couldn't race it though, damn rules... What happened to "run what ya brung" ?

20. Stitch....There is a T roadster that goes to Bonneville a lot that has a motorcycle engine in it. He uses it as a push car. I'll see if I can find a pic. He said it was a shaft driven bike and was easy to make a driveshaft for. I think he said the shift linkage was the hardest part.
    Looks cool!!
    Clark

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Are there any English rodders depraved enough to have tried a modern cycle engine swap in a Morgan three wheeler??
    Imagine being dragged along in that old wooden box behind a killer modern V twin...

22. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Modified Crotch, interesting.....

23. Skipstitch
    Lotta streamliners runnin' scooter mills on the salt.
    Tie a pair of big inch V-twins together and chain drive it and it will be trad with a twist.
    Gotta love it.

24. skipstitch

skipstitch

You know, I hadn't even given the "legends" cars or any of the streamliners much thought... But the driveline would be very simple to scrounge up around here. And it would be fun to run through the gears on a curvey back road...

An aluminum body would be trick... But for my skills, I'd have to drag out the 'glass & resin.

25. 62fairlane

62fairlane
    from Dayton, TN

hey I got an idead kinda on this topic...say you had a feather weight touring body or buket. keep it on the dinky T frame and run a big bike motor on it...just sit it sideways and run a shaft to teh rear end (how the lotus clone guys do it) I could see the weight be way low on something like that. the top end would kinda suck but would be a fun toy.

26. junk runner jr

junk runner jr

Skip I have been thinking along the lines of a high tech belly tank with a big six out of a newer Gold wing they even got reverse.

27. Rand Man

Rand Man

I've wanted to build something like this since I saw my first shaft drive motorcylce.

28. [ QUOTE ]
    I think he said the shift linkage was the hardest part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Motorcycle gearboxes are sequential shift,
    so you can use an aircraft push-pull cable to operate the shifter.

29. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    My favorite part of the old R&C was the Thom Taylor sketch pads. (Although I still remember the Vega taillight one). Yet no one seems to customize pre '36 cars. I don't know if it's the cost versus potential loss of customer base, after all, when you do a custom, no matter how well, some people will not like it, or if it is a matter of old cars losing their hot rod edge. Even the Rat's glass/Alloway cars have a slickness to them that detracts from their hot rod appeal. And C to C and Down's don't even get on the meter. Hot Rod's latest mag said "Street rods must evolve or die." I agree, but the question becomes, which mods don't lose the edge or "it" with deferences to Dr, J. [​IMG]I think custom grilles or noses work, less crown to the roof, enlarged and raised wheelwells, custom headlights. I'd like to see a pre '33 with a narrowed track. Reduce the rear fenders to just the outside edge and move the fronts in to match, cut them off at the hood line and fabricate an inner fender panel like '33 to '35 have. Voila, a smaller car without a loss of interior space. What doesn't work for me is air vents other than louvers, hidden hinges and handles, the full on interiors with consoles, etc. Save that for late '30's and up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than bringing up my name I barely know or understand what you are saying... Do you think Im not in favor of custom cars?
    I think of Thom Taylor as a newcomer to the restyling game and much prefer the designs of Tom Daniel from the early 60's.
    I've been toying with the idea of somehow building a rod utilizing the bare aluminum perimiter frame looke AND design ideas from "crotch rocket" bikes. It could be an extension of the exposed frame becoming part of the bodywork like on a '32 Ford, or a lot of '20s and some '30s race cars.
    I also have a three wheeler idea with maybe electric power with an on board utility generator keeping the batteries charged on long trips.
    Here's a 1/25th scale model I whipped up as a design idea a few years ago.

30. DrJ

DrJ