Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Model A Custom Dashes - Would you show me yours?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goztrider, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I'm getting ready - soon - to add a under body tank and discontinue using the stock "A" dash/tank. As I'm getting ready, I'd like to see some ideas of how you used your Model A dash panel to fit what you wanted to add to it in the form of gauges, lights, or what have you.

Now, I'm not talking about having used a newer car dash that was modified to fit the inside of the A cowl and body. I'm talking regular flat panel type setups.

I've also seen them done in wood, with the panel fit behind the dash rail that rides in front of the tank itself, and those look pretty nice. Nice enough where I've contemplated doing that, probably out of solid oak or something nice like that.

Anyway, if you would, please show me what you've done with yours!

Thanks!

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

57 chebby.
    [​IMG]

Not realy what your after but it is cool.

3. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

i dont have a model a but i have a 1941 or 47 lincoln zepher dash that i always wanted to put in an A but il never have an A so id sell its just a shell with the speaker cover grill in the middle

4. Dave L

Dave L
    from Idaho

5. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Looking good guys! Lets see some more!

Anyone running a wood dash? I'm kind of halfway thinking of oak with a black stain and pinstriping on it with a classic layout on the driver's side and a locking glovebox on the passenger's side to hide the radio and hold the important papers.

Thoughts?

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Har to do wood and have it look better then just a flat lump of timber bolted on. You would need to do some serious wood work for it to be any good.

7. Dyce

Dyce

My Dad had a model a pickup with a flat oak wood dash. It was built in 1974. I loved that truck and put alot of miles on it. I have to say, as much as I loved that truck, the dash just didn't cut it. I agree with Doc, if you go with wood, you need to carve it into something preaty cool. Most of the expensive models came with a woodgrain dash, but man the old dash boards from the early 1960's on down had class. I used a 1940 Chevy dash in my coupster..... My personal favorite dashes the 1940 chevy and 1940 ford. Here is mine.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The old dashes are works of art.
    Jeff

8. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

The main reason I was thinking wood is because I know I can work with wood and I have access to the tools to make a dash neat and trim. I don't have access - that I know of - to the tools to fabricate one out of sheetmetal so that it wouldn't just be a 'flat sheet of steel' bolted in place. I know with wood I could do some interesting things - at least I think - that I couldn't do with sheetmetal. I looked at different replacement dashes on Ebay, and for the price, they just look like what everyone else has - if that makes sense. I also figured with the dark black stain and epoxy covered finish that the fact that it was wood may be hidden. Don't know if that's doable or not.

9. Rathbone

Rathbone

[​IMG]
    This is mine. I'm told it may be a 20's something Dodge. The 2 glove boxes are supposed to be chrome, but need refinished.

10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Guys we seem to have 2 threads running at the same time about modified model; A dash boards.

No big deal to me, but nice to check out both.
    Take a look at this one as well;

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 5.25pt; HEIGHT: 9.75pt" href="http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5&order=desc&page=6##" o:button="t" alt="25 Attachment(s)" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/hamb/misc/paperclip.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>I want to see pictures of cool dashboards in model A's</SPAN><o:p></o:p>
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251481<o:p></o:p>

11. gaschevy

gaschevy
    BANNED

12. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Yeah, there are 2 threads going right now, but the other is an old one that someone brought back up to the top. Some who responded to this thread didn't bother to read what I actualy wrote. As I asked for in the first post of THIS thread, I'm looking for the following specifically:

13. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Modified "A" dash to fit my 58 edsel dash w / sun gauges and pleats...

[​IMG]

14. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

evil....thats tits bro! damn !!!

15. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Thanks heres a shot with the upper panel as well
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. widow maker

widow maker
    from nj

nothing special..:cool:

Attached Files:

• 052.jpg
      052.jpg
      File size:
      60.5 KB
      Views:
  17. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

here's mine in my coupe...49 ford

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  18. jonnycola

jonnycola

Here's mine...

56 plymouth in a 31 coupe
    [​IMG]

19. Noland

Noland

53 ford truck It looks Alright
    [​IMG]

20. The trouble with a flat wood dash panel, is that it's always gonna look like a 70's T bucket, to me anyways, because at least 1/2 of the buckets from that era had flat wooden dashes.

21. Rockabillybassman is right.

Just do like me and fill in the stocker, then cut some holes for gauges.

[​IMG]

22. ratster

ratster

here's the one in my Essex

[​IMG]

23. Abomb

Abomb

Sheetmetal, made at home.....was going to roll some beads in it, but traded the car before I got to it.

[​IMG]

24. HotrodBoy

HotrodBoy

Put a 34 Chevy dash in my 30 tudor the curve along the top and the width are a near perfect match. I'm using the origional tank and there is enough room to fit some gauges between the chevy dast and the tank. th echevy dash has a nice swage across the top and a bit of a recess to it, keping the 30s styling but just a bit different to the 32 Ford style.

25. skwurl

skwurl

I just got one of these for my aA. was debating on whether I wanted to use it or not. You should made me want to. looks great man. I love the symmetry of these dashes

26. its_a_nick

its_a_nick
    from Sweden