Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Will she make it to Bonneville??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I haven't driven my old A much in last year or so, and the ol' jalopy's got a few issues- tired motor, spitting oil, leaking tranny, loose bolts, and general abuse. Heck, I built this thing with used parts in my garage 6 years ago, with hand tools, and never looked back. I plan on taking the car back down to the frame and building it back up RIGHT over the winter. I don't feel the car is unsafe in terms of brakes or chassis, but there's good chance some ancillary part will give out, fall off, or stop functioning. What better way to begin the tear down than to try and kill it on a road trip? :D

[​IMG]

Baron von Mike and I are taking the roadster to Bonneville, leaving Saturday the 16th, and taking Hwy 50 out to Utah from the Bay Area. If you see us on the roadside, just make sure we're alive, and offer us some tools, eh?

[​IMG]

2. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Sounds like a great adventure in the making no matter what happens. I say go for it and have a blast Jay!

3. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

ill keep my eyes peeled, we are taking the same highway the same day....

4. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

oh and we'll have an empty trailer(if worst comes to worst) so youll make it..

5. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Good luck on the drive. We'll keep a eye out for you as well. We are driveing Sat. morning too. Come by the Old Crow pits and say hi.....Lucky

6. Greezy

Greezy

Whatever happens thats a road trip you wont regret. Besides you might find out the engine isnt tired its just bored...

7. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Keith and I are flying so I'll wave at you Jay if I see ya from 30,000 feet??? .... I joke!..... But really.

FLIP

8. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Thanks guys- We're looking forward to the adventure of the trip more than anything!

5wbomer- Hope we won't need your offer, but I do appreciate it.- Hope to meet you @ Bonneville.

Lucky-- See you in the pits!

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I dont know if she will make it or not..but I bet you will have a great time finding out

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

She'll make it.

11. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Wear a hat!

12. I always liked that roadster as it is, it will make it. I will look for it on the salt.

13. fef100

fef100

If it normally goes between oil changes, without any heavy work, I wouldn't worry about it. Take along your AAA card just in case.

14. blackout

blackout

Good for you. That's the spirit. Good luck and be safe. You and your car are fine. Watch out for the idiots. Cell phone, hand tools, fuses, insurance info.

15. The Safari would be a lot more cush -- but yeah, I get it. You and Mike have a blast, Jay. Good luck.

Dave

16. redbeard

redbeard

Man I wish I could go with you guys Jay.

My tired ass flathead made it when we went, I am sure you will make it.

Trip of a life time for me. Four hot rods, no support, just what you can fit in the rumble seat.

One thing I always think about when I am in the middle of nowhere and that worry starts
    to creep in. We are only asking these machines to do what they were designed to do, if it is rolling along and you don't abuse it, it usually keeps rolling along. A little prayer helps the piece of mind too, haahha.

Bottom line is have fun, it is a great road trip.

Living the dream

17. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

zing!

We had water pump troubles coming back from Salina, and it has less than 700 miles on a "new" unit. So don't count out the old stuff...

18. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

you wanna put some money on that? ;)

i've been up close and personal with that car :eek: :rolleyes: :p

19. LoSoto

LoSoto

Nothin like an adventure....good luck with it all and by the way AWESOME RIDE!!!!!

20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That's why they made dip sticks. Just keep her filled up. Don't neglect the trans and rear end levels.

There's no guarantee that your late model won't blow a sensor.

21. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Just take the pinup girl with you. If you break down, someone WILL stop and help.

22. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

good luck, i bet it will make it with no problem

23. best of luck yall ..

24. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Just a question, Strombergs97 and I will be leaving on Saturday morning also, but I had intended to take 80 out of Sacramento, is there a reason to 50 instead????????????

25. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

That pinup girl is my wife and she'll be home taking care of the baby! :D

26. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Hwy 50 goes through Austin, Nevada where the Alviso Roadsters guys have their pre-Bonne BBQ. We're staying the night there, and hitting the Salt by Sunday night.

We'll head back on Hwy 80 for the straight shot home, though.

27. LIMEY

LIMEY

We are driving from NY (only in a rental) should be there monday, look forward to seeing you guys again!

Kev.

28. bava17

bava17

hey jive,
    we too are taking the same trip/route. we are also taking 50 saturday morn to austin, staying the night and heading to wendover on sunday. we will be staying monday night and heading back (like you said, 80 for the trip home) sometime tuesday.
    we are camping at the Bend, same as last year.
    this year we will be driving my buddies white '05 Dodge 4WD crew cab with a camper on her. we are planning on leaving Escalon somewhere between about 4AM and 5AM sat morn to get to austin plenty early.
    we will have tools and supplies with us so if we spot you along the way, we'll for sure stop to lend a helping hand. i can give you my cell number too if you want it for extra insurance.
    good luck!
    steve

29. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Thanks Steve- I appreciate it! I just got back from out of the country and tonight is essentially my only night to prep the car, so I'm praying it all goes well.

If its cool, shoot me your cell # in a PM, just so I have it (peace of mind!).
    Looking forward to meeting you on the salt!

jay

30. bava17

bava17

Jay,
    i'll PM you.
    here is the truck we'll be driving.
    but, this year no rack and no trailer.
    will have a camper on top.
    steve

Attached Files: