Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage trailer that the top is a boat?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 31, 2008.

1. A friend of mine found a odd sounding trailer an he says that the top of it is removable boat,,,I don't think I have ever seen one,,,anyone know anything about them?,,Photos? HRP

2. cadillac dave

cadillac dave

i remember one at carlisle pa. it was a 52-54 ford, and the top came off and turned upside down its a boat. pretty neat, they were advertised in mechanics illustrated in the 1950's. cadillac dave

3. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Some one just posted a picture of one on here like a few days ago in a trailer thread.

4. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

5. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

In the day, there was one called a Ranger that used late 50's Ford T/lights. One sold on ebay last winter for almost $6k.

I think that some guy in the midwest is repoppin them now or at least services parts for them.

6. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Wow Dana, that pic makes both the boat AND the trailer look like shit.
    A classic case of "Just because you can doesn't mean you should" !!!

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There used to be one that showed up at the rod trots in the PNW that had fenders like a 52/54 Ford car. It looked pretty decent and interesting at the time.

8. F&J

F&J

like was said; there are a few of the 52-54 ones around. I had/have some old 35mm pics of one at Hershey 30 years ago, maybe 25 yrs. It was a factory build but I forgot the brand.

9. I'm sure the red trailer above originally had the '52-3 Ford tail lights. I've seen half a dozen over the years and ALL had '52-3 lights. It's obvious some one changed to the '39 teardrops to match the '39 rumble seat convt.

10. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

There was one at Good Guys in Puyallup this past weekend. I didn't take any pictures of it. Its owned by a guy who I see at many of the antique truck shows.

11. F&J

F&J

damn hottrodders.....:D

12. 1940rpu

1940rpu

The Petterson museum in LA had (has) one on display. Looks like a nice restoration.

13. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

A friend of mine had one of thode.It was cherry.Literally looke d like a 53-54 panel with a boat on top.It had the same shade of green that Fords had then.

14. kustombypook

kustombypook

I read the first couple of post and I was saying "What the fuck. I have never heard of such a thing." Then I saw the picture, and it all came back to me. I remember seeing a few of those many years ago. Not in that good of shape though.

15. The way it was discribed it was even looked like the rear section of a 52-54 ford,,,still looking for a photo. HRP

16. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Ask and you shall receive....GG DesMoines event this past 4th of July weekend. Malcolm's Dad knows the owner real well, we stopped and talked to him for abit. I think the whole setup was for sale but I can't remember what he was asking

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Yep! My dad used to work for him. He has quite a bit of info about those old trailers. If anyone would like to know more, just PM me and I'll give you his phone #.

Malcolm

18. That looks exactly like what was discribed to me,,,cool! HRP

19. Those things look really weird to me......& one would probably look great behind HRP's wagon.

Not to hijack or anyting but I'm looking for one of these if anyone knows of one. It is a Tralette.

JH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  20. [​IMG]
    damn thats cool as hell ..

21. That would look good behind your Mor-door!

Room for the kids and all the necessary stuff for traveling with the family!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  22. flathead fred

flathead fred

You can still buy these in various states of completion. I will try to find the business card, I talked to the guys at the Monroe swap meet here a couple months back.

23. Took these pics today..................
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This thing is VERY beat.

24. Foul

Foul

25. Exactly.

JH

26. I my search I found this ad but from what I have been told the doors closed a few years ago,,,HRP

[​IMG]

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is the model I mentioned previously. I've seen a few of them being used in the PNW along with a couple of them that are towed to the runs and shows behind rods or restored cars.

28. Big Tony

Big Tony

Ditto..i dig this one