Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 05-29-2009, 07:10 AM   #121
TomWar

Default Re: O/t vintage drag boats

Spike: Vern Amaral and Ray Caselli used to race at the Oakland estuary all the time. Vern flipped several times, I remember him running with a cast on his arm, and the doctor told him if you break it again we cut it off. I think he was racing Caselli when Ray flipped and got killed. At any rate I think that was when they outlawed Blown Fuel Flatbottom. Someplace around here I have a bill of sale for a Hondo Hull,complete with trailer and I supplied the Chrysler engine. Vern Wrote it for me to take to the bank, but the bank would not loan me any money because the only car I had at the time was a company car. The price for the Boat, motor, trailer complete was $4500.00 (1968)
And yes I've had some interesting times in Florida. And Garlits Museum is amazing. Cook and Bedwells carb/chrysler dragster that went over 150 mph in 57or58 I was standing next to it when it did that at Vacaville. They said nobody would ever break 150.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #122
applekrate

Keep this thread going guys. It's helping me to keep motivated to finish my blown '72 Hondo.....Maybe have it in the water for the first time in a few weeks. Gotta learn to drive it too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hondo at PH.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	671736  
www.nostalgicshowandgo.org
Old 05-30-2009, 10:07 PM   #123
tattedfordguy

Lake elsinore thisweekend NJBA Drag Boat Racing!
THUNDER IN THE CHANNEL
Date: 3/21/2009 - 3/22/2009 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Cost: Admission: Saturday = $15 pp. and Sunday = $20 pp.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #124
Spike Morelli
Grenade Inspector

Boat Fest 2009,
We just came back from the Boat Fest at Bass Lake this last weekend. I had intended to take a slew of photos to post, but, as always, I got caught up in the show and talking to people, however.................my good friend Larry Spatz took a lot of pictures!
Check out this site.. www.stevensboats.com , you're going to dig it.
Spike
Old 06-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #125
Chris Baker
Grenade Inspector

looks like there was HUGE turnout! for that Boat Fest at Bass Lake event
Old 06-14-2009, 07:02 AM   #126
LeadSledMerc
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Morelli View Post
Boat Fest 2009,
We just came back from the Boat Fest at Bass Lake this last weekend. I had intended to take a slew of photos to post, but, as always, I got caught up in the show and talking to people, however.................my good friend Larry Spatz took a lot of pictures!
Check out this site.. www.stevensboats.com , you're going to dig it.
Spike
Spike, It's great to see you finally got your website up and running. I was getting dizzy watching the Stevens logo spin around for soooo long, if you know what I mean! haha
Are you planning on getting some of your many Stevens archive pics up there now?

Here's a link to some good youtube videos of Bass Lake2009. There's 4 or 5 of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WG1B...eature=related
Old 06-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #127
Chris Baker
Grenade Inspector

thx for posting the utube links, leadsledmerc...

that '64 miller "no name" featured in the segment #4 video is an absolute work of art- the trailer is sits on (license plate "fltkool") is really kool!

Last edited by Chris Baker; 06-14-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:59 AM   #128
olcurmdgeon
Alliance Member

If you like vintage race boats, and you live in New England, there will be a three day regatta, with hot laps on the bay, in Wolfeboro, NH September 17-19, 2009. Everything from unlimited hydros to those beautiful mahogany V8-60 powered inboards. Admission is free, you can wander around the docks and view them and have a good line of sight, with binnoculars, to the laps out on the bay. Last time they had one here, you could sign up for rides on a couple of boats.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #129
296 V8
BANNED

Got the 660's for mine the other day. Getting closer

Old 06-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #130
michael_cini
Grenade Inspector

wow, amazing looking boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choptop View Post

here is "The Exciter" in 1967 set up for skiing with wet pipes.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #131
LeadSledMerc
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olcurmdgeon View Post
If you like vintage race boats, and you live in New England, there will be a three day regatta, with hot laps on the bay, in Wolfeboro, NH September 17-19, 2009. Everything from unlimited hydros to those beautiful mahogany V8-60 powered inboards. Admission is free, you can wander around the docks and view them and have a good line of sight, with binnoculars, to the laps out on the bay. Last time they had one here, you could sign up for rides on a couple of boats.
Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't heard about this. That's up by Laconia isn't it? I might have to try to make that.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #132
pops29
Alliance Member

A good friend of mine belongs to classic v-drive club located in central California . There web site is worth checking out ,, also vintage hydro web site

www.vintagehydroplanes.com

www.v-driveboats.com
Old 07-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #133
Edelbroke

19 foot Sanger jet boat, 600 HP 427 BBC race gas only, I love to trade, If anybody's interested in owning this boat PM me, Trade for something cool, or see it at the Iola old car show in WI this friday or saturday.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #134
TomWar

Kool to see that they are still making Bubble-Decks

Tom old boat aguy
Old 07-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #135
Spike Morelli
Grenade Inspector

I may be wrong about this, but I don't know if any of the boat manufacturers make flatbottoms, hydros, or any of the performance boats that we're talking about on this site, for the general public's pleasure use like they used to.Probably less than you can count on one hand still do.
It used to be, that there were a lot of hot inboard boat companies. I think Lawyers, lawsuits, insurance companies, and the usual garden variety idiots ruined things to the point that the makers quit building 'em.
There are those who have purchased the molds for various makes of flat and hydro, and can lay up a new hull, and build a complete turn-key boat if you want.
I don't personally know who is building the hulls for any of the for-real drag boats competeing today in 2009, but SOMEONE is.....
It is likely that the hulls you might see today at the races are RACE ONLY HULLS, not something you'd even want to try to make a ski boat out of.
The shop foreman at Schiada Boats told me once that they won't sell anyone anything other than a complete boat. No bare hulls. No stage 1, or stage 2. Evidently, when someone rigs a boat themselves these days, and gets hurt in it, the lawyers come after the manufacturers, even if a part failed that the manufacturer didn't make, install, or sell to the customer, the boat has a builder's name on it and people today don't take responsibility for their own mistakes, they sue.......everybody they can.
It's sad.
Today, you've got to search out those few, like Giroux Boats, or DeFir who builds Rayson-Crafts new. OR, you can do like we all did back then...buy an old hull (they were new then) that you like, and build your own hot inboard. Just like building a hot rod, you find a body(hull) in as best shape you can, straighten it, paint it, dump a big engine in it,(you build the engine), throw chrome and upholstery in the mix.
It's not limited to just the fibreglass hulls either. There are those guys (John Miller Boats, brother Jim at Miller Boats, Harlan Orrin, Clayton John) that can build you a new wood hull or wood deck. I know there are many others whom I'm not aware of, or forgetting.
But "They", (Sanger), I don't think,.... are still making "bubbledecks".
Spike

Last edited by Spike Morelli; 07-08-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #136
applekrate

I think another reason why you do not see new 18'ish ppeprformance boats is because of market saturation. They were made for so long and so many were made that the used market really effected it. there are still a million used jet boats out there and pleny of flat bottoms too.

It was the same thing that happened to musclecars by the early 70s(though few admit it).

By the early 80s, after 2 gas crisis and market saturation to the hilt, the new market went away ( in general) for the average person. there were so many brands and companies making and selling these things the bottom fell out. the ones with the bucks started buying bigger performance boats.

The other problem is these kinds of boats are not for everyone. The advent of jet skis enabled someone with no mechanical skills ( or interest) go out and have fun. Other types of boats fit into this too.

The kinds of boats are this thread are for hot rodders, gear heads, etc.
The average Joe would find it 'hard' to keep it running, perform maintenence, tuing etc.
Most people today just do not care. They just want to turn a key and go.
I am not one of them by the way.......

the part of the new hot boat market that does thrive are the wealthy who buy the 24' and larger boats and can play in rough water like Havasu, etc.
they like to go fast and they do! they also like much more int room and think the bigger boats impress the girlies too.

Our 'little' hot boats have become specialty items just like the cars we like. I do not think lawyers had much to do with the way the boat market has become. It just evolved.

Steve
www.nostalgicshowandgo.org
Old 07-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #137
burbanite
Grenade Inspector

How I missed this thread I'll never know! I was directed here from my thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=377877

I can't begin to congratulate you on all the very cool boats you have shown but you should all be proud. I also see that many of you have been a part of the Hot Boat forums when it existed properly, the Performance Boat forums and many others devoted to these money pits! I was a member of Hot Boat way back when it was a pay only site. I'm sure I'll come a cross some of you at those places.

My current boat doesn't quite have the nostalgic qualities that most of those in this thread have but it is a classic in it's own right. Schiada have a great name and produce a first class product and have done for many years, they are synonymous with water ski racing and turn out some absolutely spectacular craft.

Mine is a '76 RC, definitely a restoration project and yes, I will be keeping the color scheme including the wood grain...

I hope this thread continues for a long time.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #138
Spike Morelli
Grenade Inspector

Applekrate....

The big bucks guys with the ocean boats? More dollars than sense.
If I had that money, I'd still work on my own boat, I'm a gearhead, it's who I am, and Steve, you're right, It's why we have what we have.

Last edited by Spike Morelli; 07-11-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:32 PM   #139
T BUCKET TERROR

A friends boat. 1969.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img028.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	704169  
Old 07-20-2009, 01:34 AM   #140
Spike Morelli
Grenade Inspector

Hey 296V8,
I was doing a little tabletop engine mocking-up myself the other day. This is the top of my ski boat's 406 Ford, back from the polisher's.Click image for larger version

Name:	Wahine's Engine Parts 7-16-09 002.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	711644

Name:	Wahine's Engine Parts 7-16-09 001.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	711645