Register now to get rid of these ads!

History How Damned Cool is this NHRA Dust Collector?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by G V Gordon, Jul 10, 2008.

1. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Stopped in to a garage sale today and found this.

It's a Record Holder trophy for B/SP from the 1955 National Championship Drags in Great Bend, KS.

No name or speed was stamped on it so either they never got around to doing it or there was no record set in B/SP that day.

No plastic here boys, all metal and wood. Just couldn't pass it up. Stands 33" tall.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  2. Splinter

Splinter

That's mine. Gimme it back.

-nice score

3. international iron sled

international iron sled
    from san diego

get it engraved with your fastest time at the strip then take an old b/w picture with you holdin it next to your car and hang it over that fine garage sale score.

4. George G

George G

And did you check the back of the garage for the car that won that thophy?

5. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Hmmm..

I think that trophy looks familar..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. racemad55

racemad55

Ralph Richter, Enid,Okla. 55' Porsche 86.28 M.P.H.

7. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

SWEET! Had not had time to search yet. His son is an attorney here in town. I'll see if there are pics of the car.

Enid car and driver, that's cool. Even if it was a new Porche. Wonder if it was a 356 or Spyder? Hope his son can shed some light on that.

Evidently this was the very first NHRA sponsored National Chamionship. The last day was a rain out and the actual national champion was crowned in Arizona on a later date.

Thanks for the info.

GV

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  8. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Yeh, that is seriously cool. Great score....

9. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Very cool score. How much did it set you back?

10. thatredcaroutside

thatredcaroutside
    from Decatur,AL

Very Nice.
    I found 4 Wally's at an antique mall and it was so cool finding them.

Congrats!

11. Sodbuster would KILL for that thing!

12. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

Good point!

13. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Yes.

14. BTW, keep forgetting to tell you this.......so I am doing it while it is top of mind. I have a spare set of tailight lenses you need for the T. Remind me to dig em out before the drags.

15. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

That's cool as hell man. My dad still has lots of his eliminator win trophies from the 50's and 60's. Most of them I had to take apart and inspect when I was younger. Damn kids....

16. Church

Church
    from South Bay

that's rad!!!!!!!! Old trophies rule, and were sooooo well made.

We have a 1971 winternationals champion trophy my dad won. Also have a 2nd place trophy from the 25th annual Grand National Roadster Show. 1976 I think. Oh.....and 2 modern day Wally's, but none of my loser friends even know what they are. One is for Winston Top Fuel Champion (Gary Scelzi) my brother pit crewed for the team and an Indianapolis Funny Car Champ trophy(Whit Bazemore) he crewed on that car too. He was kind enough to order me trophies for my Bday.

17. timebombkustoms

timebombkustoms
    from Indiana

Very Kool Find for sure!

18. the guy who built our car in 1965 send me his US National win trophies from 66 and 67..along with a couple track champion trophies..
    It just adds to the history..

Usually old racers don't give this stuff up.but he had them stored above his garage,,and he lives 3,000 miles from me..
    small world after all.

1939fiat (Rick)

19. Dust collector, that's a good name for 'em. Been dustin' these Bonneville trophies of my Dad's for 45 years. The only one that I really have a soft spot for is the clock. He won that for being 1960 SCTA El Mirage high point champion. Raised the B gas coupe record at all 5 lakes meets. The damn clock has sat on the desk 48 years, and still keeps perfect time. No Chinese crap for SCTA! The brass Smokers plaque was part of a class win trophy at the 63 Fuel & Gas championship race. The old trophy finally fell apart, and I saved the plaque in the cheesy frame. I'm the only one in the family that gives a shit about this stuff, so it will all wind up in a yard sale when I'm below ground.

Attached Files:

20. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I ran into an older fellow (older than me if you can believe that) who was telling me he was in Great Bend for the first NHRA championship. I told him I had something he would be intrested in seeing. Think I made a new friend. lol

21. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

World gets smaller everyday huh? :cool: