Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Here we go again...The July BANGER MEET!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Artiki, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

These Banger Meets are turning into full-on month-long mayhem. Let's keep it going, men.....

I've just been tinkering around with my Tudor this month, getting it ready for its MOT test that I need to get it registered, and getting my Touring ready for the first drag meet of the year, the Nostalgia Nationals in Stratford-upon-Avon, which was last weekend. It was an awesome weekend of racing in which I managed to pack in 15 passes down the quarter, culminating in a best of 17.3 @ 77mph.
    Got a report from the meeting you can read here...
    http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275762

Here are a couple of pics of the tub I've lifted from elsewhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wak53

wak53
    from aus

15 passes is unheard of here in oz our nostalgia meets are more like newstalgia I don't think anyone has ran a banger here (yet) I would like to run mine in november or december if its done we've got a meet one this weekend I'm going to help my mate with his falcon squire. I should have my shed sorted this month so I can bring my roller home and start putting my body on I'll get the cowl, doors and cab section on and then deside if the pickup bed is going on.Is any one using a winfield repo head I think I might try one my Jenkins wont be finished for a while and the engine in the roller is a sweet runner just needs a bit of comp, carb and cam the 3c's and the flywheel sent to weight watcher's.

3. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

I hope you had a good time - still running in - will out and about soon

4. Took the coupe up the road last night for its first drive since sorting out all the problems.
    Its booked in for a MOT on Friday and then I can get it registered.

5. Artiki, 77 in 17 sec.!! Sounds like you are moving that Tub pretty fast.
    Good show!!

6. Elrod

Elrod

Wonderful pictures! I love the black and white one. Viva La Banger Meets!

My current update: the Coupe is at the local custom muffler shop to get the true dual exhaust put on. No mufflers of course! Can't wait to hear it!

7. Last week, I received my invite to the "Big Show", the Rolex Historic Automobile Races at Monterey. I'm going through the car "stem to stern". Today, I'm replacing all the fuel lines. By mid August, we'll have, just about, restored the car. We can't embarass ourselves, or the "bangers" around the world, by a car that doesn't go! Pictured is me leading Ivan Zaremba, in his Hudson engined Railton, through Laguna Seca's "Corkscrew".

[​IMG]

8. brjnelson

brjnelson

Howdy Guy's
    After 8 years of running, my Iron Winfield head is cracked and weeping coolant, I will pull the head and post photos. Our FAST chapter is having a hill climb and I have to be there to defend my title as fastest heavyweight. I will post with dates of the hillclimb when I get home.
    Brian

9. Nothing much new with me. I found a complete B in a garage I am trying to latch onto. I have been driving my coupe all over the country side, those back roads sure are fun to rip around on ;)

10. I was at the same meet as Artiki still waiting for that 15 second ticket.

It took its time but it finally got it!

The full report here,

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275761

I can't stop there though, so I am now looking towards a 14!
    I've already got the ball rolling by getting my SU manifolds welded up. Hopefully I will have pictures and progress for later in the week.

Artiki and me running the 4 Banger final...

[​IMG]

11. Well - didn't go to the drags, missed the fun cos I've been spending money I don't have. Again.

First. Another A chassis, cos "it was there" and if I didn't get it, it's a cinch some other bear would...

[​IMG]

Second. Deposit left on the cab and bed from this:

[​IMG]

Still found a few coppers and filled the tank to go out on a cream tea cruise with some ol' duffers in their MG's and the like. Pardon the blurry picture but it's probably unlikely I'll ever get the chance to take a shot of a Lancaster flying over me as I drive again!!! The other blurry blob in the top right hand corner is a Spitfire,

[​IMG]

Turned the banger off and coasted to hear four Merlins as the Lancaster came alongside and hedge-hopped past me.... Sad git.

12. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

I got mine MOTd last week. Had a few post-build issues at the end of the week, namely the radiator was spewing all its water out and it started making a chuffing noise under load which probably meant the headgasket was letting a bit past. Checked the torque on the head studs and all of them took between 1/4 turn and 1/2 turn to torque back up. Ran it up to temperature and boshed in a bottle of me old fave Wynns rad repair and took it out for a spin. Seems to be cured and it's a fair bit quieter now.

I'm back. Again :D

13. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

AND I got this one running well!

It's a small start :)

Attached Files:

14. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

The photographer must be stood at a funny angle there as I'm sure it was closer than that! :rolleyes:

Bill, yes, totally ecstatic with the 17.3 and also the 77mph. Really love to get it into the 16's at the next meet, in September, whilst still running the single 97.

15. Just been trawling back through all your past posts. B-rilliant! We need more pictures!!!

16. brjnelson

brjnelson

I got the cracked head off the A, nothing special to report about the head.
    But, I am running Yapp's EQ intake and I will tell you that it is not equil, he said that with the 2 vanes in the plenum you can run 1 carb in the photo, you can see that the rear cylinders are rich and the front cylinders are lean.
    I run one carb because one carb fuel inlet is too close to my Mallory for a line, I need a banjo inlet or a spacer or a thick header flange to get the carb away from the dist. I better get it done so all clyinders can run rich :rolleyes:

I scored at BTTF’s swapmeet 1st I find a head for a cop car for $60, it has some welding inside, but I think it will do till the Winfield is fixed . The head was cast in Oct 1933 and says "Speed Head" on it.
    Next I see what looks like an A engine on its side, but I see 4 bumps on the oil pan.
    I asked what he wanted for the engine the guy says $125, dad and I flip the engine over and it’s a B in A clothing! Score:D 4 hours after the swap opened, that engine should have sold right away too bad the guy did not know what he had, & should have displayed better. I got it home and opened the oil pan and Whoo Hoo it has the counterweighted 1 piece crank!!

If you are within 200 miles from Northwood Iowa you should go to the Banger SpeedMeet Saturday Sept 13 . I can send you info, there is a show & Tell and a Hill Climb. Friday, Wayne Atkinson will open up his shop for a tour.
    I hope fordy6 and alchmey can make it this year.

Attached Files:

17. ebtm3

ebtm3

18. brjnelson

brjnelson

Hey Bluto, 500's are cool, I want to ride in one someday. Do the sliding door windows help ? I watch Roman Holiday just to see that Topo run around.

19. Wildfire

Wildfire

Plan to have my engine back late next week. Time to thrash for the drags.

20. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

I am wrapping up the first run of timing covers. What an unbelievable amount of work. I really learned alot about what it takes to produce a quality part. Everyone should try it once.
    I also picked up an A motor and trans that will soon be a test mule/speedster when I come up on a chassis.

21. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

That's interesting. You're the first person I know of to run one of those 'equalizer' manifolds on a single carb and I always wondered how whether they worked or not.
    Let me get this right, the front carb is plumbed, but the rear cylinders are getting the fuel? Just wondering whether you could remove some of the front vane to allow #1 & 2 to draw more fuel in? Hmm....dunno. Maybe the flaw is in the actual design and it isn't such a good idea after all.

22. The flaw is the design. Its totally wrong and goes against very basic principles.

[​IMG]

This is the official theory. The air/fuel mixture enters the manifold via the carb/carbs and is then directed into a common central plenum.
    The mixture then mixes in a very neat and circular fashion before being evenly distributed to the engine.

What is actually happening is that the mixture is coming into the manifold with such force and speed that it doesn't have time to do anything but take the shortest easiest route through.
    That route, in this case from the front carb, is straight across the manifold to feed the rear cylinders and due to that baffle the front cylinders are almost totally blanked off to any feed what so ever.

[​IMG]

23. Elrod

Elrod

I agree. Why would Air take a 90 degree U-Turn? Doesn't make sense.

24. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Kinda guessing that Yapp didn't add those red bits, Clark :D

25. john64

john64

Just had my car arrive from California last weekend, bought it in January. Needs work before it hits the road.

Attached Files:

26. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Liking it. More pics please.

27. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

It probably doesn't work because if you look at the layout it closely resembles Tesla's 'Valvular Conduit' which is a duct that acts as a one way filter in a pulsing or oscillating flow. Unfortunately the resistance is in the same direction as the flow you want :D

Bit more info here: http://www.tfcbooks.com/patents/1329559.htm

[​IMG]

28. Yeh... What he said... :confused:

29. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

HA! You and me both! I found two,...possibly three,...oh well,....:confused:

30. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid