Register now to get rid of these ads!

Deranged bike guy builds SBC V-Twin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Billybobdad, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Check this out......I found these pics and text on a dirtbike website. The question is can this contraption be made to run????:eek:

"This "v-twin" started out life as a standard small block 350 cubic inch Chevy motor found in zillions of trucks and cars for decades. The builder (no, we don’t have a name for you yet) simply cut the back two cylinders off and created his very own v-twin. The back cylinders are used because that’s where the distributor is located.
    Naturally, a timing cover and crank damper had to be added to the front of those two cylinders, and the shortened valve covers had to have capped ends fabricated. Note that the stock starter and flywheel assembly are retained."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

different..wonder what the point would be, when there are so many other 2 cyl. engines out there on the market..
    maybe just a testiment to his ability.

3. mac762

mac762

There's a guy here on the HAMB that goes by Dr. Frankensickle that has a BB Chevy "sickle" that is done like that. I haven't ever seen it myself but I've heard about it a lot since he is local to me. I know his runs. My Friends have seen it.
    Maybe we could get him to post some pictures. I've heard it sounds real mean too.

4. Three words....

Because He Could!

Cool!!!!

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Someone told me years ago that there was a commercially available, somewhat more conventional looking, V-twin using special castings but based on 400 Chevy rods and pistons, nature of upper end not known. Anybody hear of that one?

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I saw that in one of the magazines way back when. If memory serves right he built it for either a hill climber or a drag bike. It would be one of those things where the builder would have to have access to a fully equipped machine shop and the skills to use the equipment.

At the time that was done your choices were to modify a Harley knuckle or Shovel head or an Indian which were flatheads.
    They didn't have the aftermarket big inch V Twin engine builders that they do now. S & S didn't come into existence untill 1958 and then their first products were high performance push rods http://www.sscycle.com/iframes/history.php The complete engines came quite a bit later.

7. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Lots of V8s have been cut down to fit in LSR cars to fit in specific classes.

8. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

The ones I have seen were V-4's and V-8's with 4 plugged cylinders.

9. Yeah, there were some articles on it in The Horse...............tons of issues getting it working right. I forget the name of em

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

so would this thing have like 75 H.P.?

11. hdwilly

hdwilly
    from fla

been done before in 70 and 80s sold commercialy cant remember name of company

12. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

hmmmmm....you dont say....yep its been done before .the company youre trying to remember is called Supervee,I did it with a 427 BBC though,Ive seen it done with 392 and 426 hemi s also

13. nite-flyer

nite-flyer

[​IMG]saw this on display at World Drag Expo 2004

14. metalshapes

metalshapes

Attached Files:

15. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

16. marioD

marioD

not really new idea

Nostalgia cycles did that in the 80's called it a Super Vee

based on a sbc. The operated from Huntington beach Ca the last time i've been there - don't know if still around.....

Mario

no F*ckin Plastic !
    http://www.speedlook.de

Attached Files:

17. upzndownz

upzndownz

a friend of mine on long island did that back in the 70's and somehow stuffed it into a much modded triumph frame

18. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

somebody already said that before you did,oh yea ,that was me,sorry

19. gaschevy

gaschevy
    BANNED

They run a v 8 chevy cut the long way and the short way, v4 in midgets so it will probably work if you can oil it.

20. mac762

mac762

Does anyone remember the Chevette that was in Hot Rod that has a V-2 Chevy in it? It got some ungodly gas mileage.

21. Had a local guy make his own using the front half of cylinders 1&2 and the back half of cylinders 7&8. He welded it together and then sleeved the new 2 cyl sbc. He did the same thing with the heads.....kinda neat, put it an old hardtail rat bike about 1978-79.

Ugly as sin, greasy and leaked all over the place but always drew a crowd wherever he rode it....and boy did he rack up miles on that thing!

I remember seeing the Super Vee a few years later in SuperCycle mag. I also remember someone making a new center case for your Harley so that you could go to a 4 cylinder. Split you cases, insert the center case and new crank rods and add a set of jugs and heads. I think Rivera Engineering had something similar and more refined. Fueling head or something like that.