Register now to get rid of these ads!

Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abomination

Abomination

THE S-10 and Dakota threads have been closed. Please carry on the discussion for those, and for the Ranger/Explorer in the Definitive Chassis Swap Social Group.

Okay, okay - before you blast me for yet another S-10 frame swap post, I assure you: this one is different.

[​IMG]

Over all the 'net, I've yet to see a thread or post of a list of all the vehicles that have had S-10 frame swaps done. I'd love to start one, if only for reference purposes, so it'll come up in searches or what-not, and has the potential to help a lot of people decide if they really want to do it or not.

If'n ya would, everybody post a few vehicles, year/make/model that they've either done or have heard of, and rate the difficulty from 1 - 5 (where "1" is easiest, and "5" is hardest). If the mood strikes, feel free to add a pic or link.

For Ranger/Explorer Chassis swaps, feel free to visit our sister thread, here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287382

For Dakota chassis swaps, see this thread:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307020

Edit!
    Since this thread has started, it's turned into something of a vast repository of information, full of tech and how-tos, and other information specific to the S-10 chassis. A lot of people ask me for specific dimensions and measurements, so I posted this at the top! You'll find those and SO much more HERE: http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/pdf/LD/LD_ST_Truck/LD_ST_Truck_pgs.pdf Scroll down to page 51 and be enlightened! :D

There is a LOT of info here, and let's face it - nobody probably has time to read the entire thread. Feel free to use the "Search This Thread" search in the red bar above this post to find what you want.

~Jason

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2011
  2. Abomination

Abomination

3. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

although I can't add to the list, I think it's a great idea. I'm sure there are alot of us that could use that information and know that it's correct.There are some obvious candidates for the swap but having a real final listing would be a huge help.

4. Abomination

Abomination

5. Abomination

Abomination

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  6. Abomination

Abomination

Keep it going, boys! Any car S-10-based frame swaps?

~Jason

7. RacerRick

RacerRick

Most use the 117.9" wheelbase S10 which is a standard cab, long bed.

I did a 49' Chevy Fleetline onto a shortend S10 frame. I also channelled it a bunch so it was a big install. 4 out of 5 on the difficulty meter.

Without the channel, its probably about a 2.5 out of 5 on the install difficulty meter. You have to adjust the frame for the 115" wheelbase by grinding the welds off on the frame and slide the rear half 3" farther into the front half and reweld.

Then its just make new body mount on the frame to bolt to the body , and trim a little and box under the rear seat for the frame kickup. Its very little to trim. There is a bunch of trimming at the ends of the frame also, and a 4x4 rear end has to be used for width.

8. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I know you can do a shoebox Ford-S10 frame swap fairly easily but I don't have the details for you right now since I'm at work :(

9. Abomination

Abomination

10. Terraizer

Terraizer

I have personally done a 1937 D-15 international 113" WB pickup on a cut down 1987 S-10 shortbed x-cab frame, and a 1942 K-2 international 115" wb on a cut down 1985 longbed regular cab frame, niether are done or running yet but the bodies are mounted and they steer. Both have been pretty easy, shorting the frame down at the factory seem is cake , and mounting the body has been easy also (both i cut all the S-10 mounts off and built new ones out of 3x4" tubing and Scout 2 poly body bushings) the only pain is getting the radiator support and front end to clear the front steer S-10 steering box but not to bad. Also both i have done i just cut the bed floor completly out and built a new one. On a scale of 1-5 i would say 2-2.5. Not to bad if you have some fab skills and some tools (hand tools, welder, some type of cutter).

11. Abomination

Abomination

Gv Gordon, a HAMBer ( http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/member.php?u=999 ) says so, too (see quote below) and posted this pic:

[​IMG]

~Jason

12. Abomination

Abomination

HEY!

I was just about to mention your truck! You beat me to it by a few seconds - uncanny!

~Jason

13. Abomination

Abomination

Then again, there's plowboy's stuff... :D

~Jason

14. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

What are the different wheel bases for the S-10?

I know that most say to use a regular cab with long box but they are not as easy to find as short boxes or extended cabs. Is extended cab with short box the same frame as regular cab with long box?

Neal

15. Abomination

Abomination

According to the F1 - S-10 frame swap guy:
    http://www.geocities.com/lakota_circle_dancer/swap1.html

"The S-10 comes in three wheelbase lengths. 108" Shortbed, 117" Longbed, 122" Extended Cab."

Also:

[​IMG]

"Look at the joint between the trans mount and the carrier bearing mount. This joint can be ground out, pulled apart, and the frame extended or shortened. If all you could find was an Ext Cab 122" WB, here is where you would shorten it."

~Jason

16. jonski und29

jonski und29

Am I mistaken, or is a blazer/jimmy chassis even a shorter wheel base than a single-cab short-bed?

17. Abomination

Abomination

Also according to the F1 - S-10 frame swap guy:
    http://www.geocities.com/lakota_circle_dancer/swap1.html

"How do you tell them apart? Easy. The Shortbed has a standard cab and a one piece driveshaft, the Ext Cab has the ext cab (obviously) and a two piece driveshaft. The one you want is the 2WD Longbed, it has a standard cab and a two piece driveshaft....see how easy that was. Try to get one that is 1989 or newer with the 2.8 or 4.3 V6 with an automatic transmission. If not, any S-10 2WD Longbed from 1982 on will work. WARNING: Stay away from the S-10 BLAZERS!!! The wheelbase is 100" 2dr and 108" 4dr. They also sit 6"-8" higher. "

18. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Why do we want one post '89?

As far as subframes go, '49-'51 Fords are supposed to be dead on for an S10. Thats what my '51 is getting. Track width and frame width are the same with the track width being slightly narrower as a bonus.

19. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

20. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

I used a ext cab short bed S-10 wb 122 inches, Studebaker wb is 112 inches. I shortened the chassis 10 inches. I am using all stock S-10 parts, engine, trans, ABS brakes, computer, etc. I found with this setup I could use the aluminum driveshaft from a Ford Aerostar mini van, and it was the right length. I am going to get an inspection and plates next week so I soon know how it drives. I will have it at the HAMB Drags.

21. Here's some stats on the S-10 frame:
    3 wheelbases 108", 117", 122". Track (wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface) is 56" front and 55 rear. Frame is 32" wide at the front and 34" wide at the rear. Frame is 3" wide and between 3" and 5" high at key stress points. Frame is boxed from the front to midway of the length, that would put it at just behind the door. Comes stock with power steering, power disc brakes, IFS, newer ones come with 4 wheel disc brakes.

22. Terraizer

Terraizer

I think the blazer frame is at 100" WB way to short for any of my projects. I think i had the S-10 body,engine, trans, stock body mounts cut off and frame shorted in like 10 hours not trying to hard, i was shocked how easy they are to shorten. I'am thinking about using one under my 1953 Plymouth Suburban wagon, the floors are gone in it from rust any how.

23. Abomination

Abomination

Now THAT is picture-worthy, man...

~Jason

24. C4 Metal Werks

C4 Metal Werks
    from California

I read some where that the Jimmy and Blazer frames were narrower than the S10 truck.

25. Abomination

Abomination

I don't think they do - I mean from the front end sheet metal to suspension parts, they're the same as a regular 'ol S-10, you know?

~Jason

26. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

If you do that post some pictures of the build! My 53 Plymouth Cranbrook Chassis is rotted out and I need a plan of action. I was thinking of the S-10 swap but, all I heard from This board and others is "it's a truck chassis and they are garbage."

27. the machine

the machine

The frame swap on the 40's IH lines up great, but the hump on the s-10 is alot higher so you do have to raise the bed floor to set it lower, no big deal they usually are gone any way. If cab mounts were good it would bolt right down to the frame, automatically lowering it 6-7 inches, however i have to make a new floor anyway. I would agree 1-2 on the difficulty scale.

28. patgizz

patgizz
    from cleveland

currenty doing a 40 chevy pickup. i saw one other 40 on an s10 chassis but it was a bit of a hack job. mine is a 122" wheelbase ext cab and i'll be shortening it to fit the original wheelbase

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Abomination

Abomination

Anybody have any other pictures of cars?

~Jason

30. I've got a '46 Chevy truck on a S-10 frame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.