Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Default Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List

THE S-10 and Dakota threads have been closed. Please carry on the discussion for those, and for the Ranger/Explorer in the Definitive Chassis Swap Social Group.

Okay, okay - before you blast me for yet another S-10 frame swap post, I assure you: this one is different.

Over all the 'net, I've yet to see a thread or post of a list of all the vehicles that have had S-10 frame swaps done. I'd love to start one, if only for reference purposes, so it'll come up in searches or what-not, and has the potential to help a lot of people decide if they really want to do it or not.

If'n ya would, everybody post a few vehicles, year/make/model that they've either done or have heard of, and rate the difficulty from 1 - 5 (where "1" is easiest, and "5" is hardest). If the mood strikes, feel free to add a pic or link.

For Ranger/Explorer Chassis swaps, feel free to visit our sister thread, here:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=287382

For Dakota chassis swaps, see this thread:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=307020

Edit!
Since this thread has started, it's turned into something of a vast repository of information, full of tech and how-tos, and other information specific to the S-10 chassis. A lot of people ask me for specific dimensions and measurements, so I posted this at the top! You'll find those and SO much more HERE: http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/p..._Truck_pgs.pdf Scroll down to page 51 and be enlightened!

There is a LOT of info here, and let's face it - nobody probably has time to read the entire thread. Feel free to use the "Search This Thread" search in the red bar above this post to find what you want.

~Jason

Last edited by Ryan; 03-11-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List

I'll start:

How about Chevy Advanced-Design (47-55) Chevy/GMC trucks, suburbans and panels?

These folks even make a kit for these:
http://www.ad-engineering.com/HOMEPAGE.html

~Jason
Old 06-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Rich Rogers

although I can't add to the list, I think it's a great idea. I'm sure there are alot of us that could use that information and know that it's correct.There are some obvious candidates for the swap but having a real final listing would be a huge help.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Okay, here's another: '48 - '52 Ford F1/F2/F3 pickups.

Here's all about how, from a guy that most people refer to (he's on the HAMB, too http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/member.php?u=25455 ):
http://www.geocities.com/lakota_circ...cer/swap1.html

~Jason

Last edited by Abomination; 06-25-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:01 AM   #5
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

I've heard that one of the easiest swaps is 40s K-Series International pickups, by the way. There's scattered info all over the place, but I hear the cab is almost a bolt-in! I've heard it's about a difficulty level of around 1.5.

The Machine (of the HAMB) has done one:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/member.php?u=56622

Pics:
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...t=DSCN0995.jpg
~Jason

Last edited by Abomination; 08-04-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Keep it going, boys! Any car S-10-based frame swaps?

~Jason
Old 06-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
RacerRick
Old School HAMBer

Most use the 117.9" wheelbase S10 which is a standard cab, long bed.

I did a 49' Chevy Fleetline onto a shortend S10 frame. I also channelled it a bunch so it was a big install. 4 out of 5 on the difficulty meter.

Without the channel, its probably about a 2.5 out of 5 on the install difficulty meter. You have to adjust the frame for the 115" wheelbase by grinding the welds off on the frame and slide the rear half 3" farther into the front half and reweld.

Then its just make new body mount on the frame to bolt to the body , and trim a little and box under the rear seat for the frame kickup. Its very little to trim. There is a bunch of trimming at the ends of the frame also, and a 4x4 rear end has to be used for width.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:56 AM   #8
Johnny1290
Old School HAMBer

I know you can do a shoebox Ford-S10 frame swap fairly easily but I don't have the details for you right now since I'm at work
Old 06-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Stude-Sled here on the HAMB did a Studebaker: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/member.php?u=20259

Old 06-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
Terraizer
Grenade Inspector

I have personally done a 1937 D-15 international 113" WB pickup on a cut down 1987 S-10 shortbed x-cab frame, and a 1942 K-2 international 115" wb on a cut down 1985 longbed regular cab frame, niether are done or running yet but the bodies are mounted and they steer. Both have been pretty easy, shorting the frame down at the factory seem is cake , and mounting the body has been easy also (both i cut all the S-10 mounts off and built new ones out of 3x4" tubing and Scout 2 poly body bushings) the only pain is getting the radiator support and front end to clear the front steer S-10 steering box but not to bad. Also both i have done i just cut the bed floor completly out and built a new one. On a scale of 1-5 i would say 2-2.5. Not to bad if you have some fab skills and some tools (hand tools, welder, some type of cutter).
Old 06-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #11
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Gv Gordon, a HAMBer ( http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/member.php?u=999 ) says so, too (see quote below) and posted this pic:

~Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by G V Gordon View Post
Works pretty well on fat fendered Fords. As was mentioned above the slight rise in the rails comes through the floor and will be boxed in but the stock rear seat is going to fit with little modification so it isn't a large deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1290 View Post
I know you can do a shoebox Ford-S10 frame swap fairly easily but I don't have the details for you right now since I'm at work
Old 06-25-2008, 10:08 AM   #12
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

HEY!

I was just about to mention your truck! You beat me to it by a few seconds - uncanny!

~Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraizer View Post
I have personally done a 1937 D-15 international 113" WB pickup on a cut down 1987 S-10 shortbed x-cab frame, and a 1942 K-2 international 115" wb on a cut down 1985 longbed regular cab frame, niether are done or running yet but the bodies are mounted and they steer. Both have been pretty easy, shorting the frame down at the factory seem is cake , and mounting the body has been easy also (both i cut all the S-10 mounts off and built new ones out of 3x4" tubing and Scout 2 poly body bushings) the only pain is getting the radiator support and front end to clear the front steer S-10 steering box but not to bad. Also both i have done i just cut the bed floor completly out and built a new one. On a scale of 1-5 i would say 2-2.5. Not to bad if you have some fab skills and some tools (hand tools, welder, some type of cutter).
Old 06-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #13
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Then again, there's plowboy's stuff...

~Jason
Old 06-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #14
J'st Wandering
Alliance Member

What are the different wheel bases for the S-10?

I know that most say to use a regular cab with long box but they are not as easy to find as short boxes or extended cabs. Is extended cab with short box the same frame as regular cab with long box?

Neal
Old 06-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #15
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

According to the F1 - S-10 frame swap guy:

"The S-10 comes in three wheelbase lengths. 108" Shortbed, 117" Longbed, 122" Extended Cab."

Also:

"Look at the joint between the trans mount and the carrier bearing mount. This joint can be ground out, pulled apart, and the frame extended or shortened. If all you could find was an Ext Cab 122" WB, here is where you would shorten it."

~Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'st Wandering View Post
What are the different wheel bases for the S-10?

I know that most say to use a regular cab with long box but they are not as easy to find as short boxes or extended cabs. Is extended cab with short box the same frame as regular cab with long box?

Neal
Old 06-25-2008, 04:12 PM   #16
jonski und29
Grenade Inspector

Am I mistaken, or is a blazer/jimmy chassis even a shorter wheel base than a single-cab short-bed?
Old 06-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #17
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Also according to the F1 - S-10 frame swap guy:

"How do you tell them apart? Easy. The Shortbed has a standard cab and a one piece driveshaft, the Ext Cab has the ext cab (obviously) and a two piece driveshaft. The one you want is the 2WD Longbed, it has a standard cab and a two piece driveshaft....see how easy that was. Try to get one that is 1989 or newer with the 2.8 or 4.3 V6 with an automatic transmission. If not, any S-10 2WD Longbed from 1982 on will work. WARNING: Stay away from the S-10 BLAZERS!!! The wheelbase is 100" 2dr and 108" 4dr. They also sit 6"-8" higher. "
Old 06-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #18
SlowandLow63
Alliance Member

Why do we want one post '89?

As far as subframes go, '49-'51 Fords are supposed to be dead on for an S10. Thats what my '51 is getting. Track width and frame width are the same with the track width being slightly narrower as a bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Nothing personal fellas, but I think this post sucks.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #19
Stude-sled
Alliance Member

Here is mine, the Flamed Studebaker is my dads, stock frame with volare front. http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/a...ed/studetruck/
Old 06-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #20
Stude-sled
Alliance Member

I used a ext cab short bed S-10 wb 122 inches, Studebaker wb is 112 inches. I shortened the chassis 10 inches. I am using all stock S-10 parts, engine, trans, ABS brakes, computer, etc. I found with this setup I could use the aluminum driveshaft from a Ford Aerostar mini van, and it was the right length. I am going to get an inspection and plates next week so I soon know how it drives. I will have it at the HAMB Drags.
Closed Thread