Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 08-27-2004, 07:39 PM   #1
oldchevyseller

Default JOE WILHELM CUSTOMS

in looking at the 57 chrysler post , i started looking at joe wilhelm's stuff, he did quite afew nice machines ,i like the WILD DREAM no round tub back end i like the swooped fins, any one have show pics of it? i cant quite figure the front end also, is this something that someo ne

is doing today? a coil sprung drop axle,dont know of any kits out there some one must be running a similar front, just looking to throw a few old ideas back into the ring
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	527370-wilhelmt.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	43897  
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 07:50 PM   #2
crewcutkid

Default Re: JOE WILHELM CUSTOMS

Even though the craftsmanship seems extraordinary, the car itself is kinda, well, ugly. A few tweaks could make it right-
That's my opinion of said car. As far as the custom shop, I have to respect anybody who takes the time to put stuff like this together- no matter what the reception of the car may end up being.
-Crew
Old 08-27-2004, 07:55 PM   #3
oldchevyseller

yeah i think some changes, this could be a nice look, i do think
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-28-2004, 09:55 PM   #4
oldchevyseller

a coil sprung drop axle,dont know of any kits out there some one must be running a similar front, just looking to throw a few old ideas back into the ring

hello anyone?
Old 08-28-2004, 11:28 PM   #5
Mutt
Old School HAMBer

I know of two cars with coil spring straight axles - a '32 Chev coupe, and a T-bucket. Neither looked very good because of the bulk. I believe Speedway has, or used to have, the buckets and springs. Both owners expressed a desire to change to coilovers or transverse spring. I believe both were tube axles, also.

Mutt
Old 10-08-2006, 02:36 PM   #6
cabong
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldchevyseller
in looking at the 57 chrysler post , i started looking at joe wilhelm's stuff, he did quite afew nice machines ,i like the WILD DREAM no round tub back end i like the swooped fins, any one have show pics of it? i cant quite figure the front end also, is this something that someo ne

is doing today? a coil sprung drop axle,dont know of any kits out there some one must be running a similar front, just looking to throw a few old ideas back into the ring
I realize it's been a while since you posted this comment on the 'Wild Dream', but thought I'd respond. The car is different by todays standards, but in 1968 it was nice enough to win the AMBR trophy at the Oakland Roadster show. It had some changes made since the purple rendition, primarily in the grille. People told Joe it looked like a '32 ford, and he had had fabricated it, so he changes the looks. It was gold in 1968. Interestingly, it was shown in '63 or '64, and would have won, but at the time it didn't run, and that was manditory to win the AMBR. The reason it didn't run was that he had not completed the intake manifold, which had 2 side draft carbs tucked into the valley space, similar to the Ford Y-block unit used on boats. The intire car was hand fabricated, with the body being all aluminum. It had a small block chev and 4-speed. The car is still owned by the person that had commissioned Joe to build it. I had the good fortune of taking the car to the 50th Roadster show aniversary in '99. It remains unchanged and in excellent condition.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
gnichols
Alliance Member

Old post revived! Where is this car now? Anyone know? I know there were model kits of it by AMT / MPC back in the day. I always like it and the other open wheel styled "show rods." Too bad we don't see more of them now. Gary

Last edited by gnichols; 11-22-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
gnichols
Alliance Member

Bump for the cronically bored. Any ideas where this car is? Or was, last time seen in public? Gary