Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 06-12-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
oneshotwebb
FNG

Default chevy 250 to HEI

I am trying to put an HEI on my 72 chevy c-10. I have a stock distributor, cap and coil. however, there seems to be nowhere on the coil to plug in the tac or 12 volt switch. If ya got any ideas, let me know. If you need a few pictures or more info on the parts, hit me up. Id like to get this switched over soon as it is my daily driver. Thanks!
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
63Biscuit

Default Re: chevy 250 to HEI

Do you have the HEI dizzy now? If so, is that what doesn't have the provision for a tach?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
Fat Hack
Old School HAMBer

Some 250 Chevy six engines with HEI had the coil mounted to the engine block rather than on the cap, so those won't have the common provisions for Tach and Ignition wires on the cap that you find on typical V8 HEI distribtuors. The tach and ignition wires go to the coil.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
Bruce Lancaster
Alliance Member

First year only I think...'75?? Get the plug that goes with the thing to both clarify the hookups and make llife easy. I've done both kinds, and prefer the integral unit because parts are much easier to find. The first year unit is an oddball used only on nearly extinct cars. Use V8 Moroso fast curve kit, and getting a heavy truck or aftermarket vac can with about half the advance is almost mandatory becaus the EGR application passenger cans ping like crazy when run without EGS...they can crank in like 20+ degrees extra advance.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
Snarl

The versions with the separate coil are for A/C applications.

Moroso makes an adjustable vac advance, its the same for both V8 and L6 applications.

It is possible to swap it over to an integral style cap and rotor, but you will need to file a new locator notch into the housing as the indexing is different between the two cap designs. It's easier to just get the right dizzy...
Old 06-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
dare-to-be-different

Click image for larger version

Name:	heimodule.gif
Views:	79
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	455149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarl View Post
The versions with the separate coil are for A/C applications.

Moroso makes an adjustable vac advance, its the same for both V8 and L6 applications.

It is possible to swap it over to an integral style cap and rotor, but you will need to file a new locator notch into the housing as the indexing is different between the two cap designs. It's easier to just get the right dizzy...
I second this guys solution if you want to change over.

If yours has the plain cap without the coil-in-cap setup traditional to the more common HEIs, you can take the cap, rotor, coil etc from another 6 cyl, and add it on.

BUT, if the ignition works fine now, and if the only thing you need is to hook up a tach, and you don't care to change over, you can simply wire the tach in the traditional manner as if you were installing it on a points ignition, and simply hook up the tach trigger wire to the NEG terminal on the coil the same as you would do when hooking a tach to a conventional ign.

The terminal that goes to NEG side of coil is also the same one that hooks to the points on the older igns. That is what most tachs use to get their signal to count the pulses and count engine revolutions.

It is possible that it may not be the same with ALL tachs, but that is how it works with all the "normal" tachs I have worked with so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	heimodule.gif
Views:	79
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	455149

This picture shows that it should be the "C" terminal for the usual tach "counting" signal.

Some people like to relax in a leather recliner,
but to others there is nothing better than cardboard
...on concrete. Valvoline commercial.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by dare-to-be-different; 06-12-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #7
oneshotwebb
FNG

MAN! Thanks to all of yall! Thats some service. I owe everyone a round if ya ever find yerself stuck on the side of the highway in Atlanta!
Ill get back and let ya know how it works and If I have anymore questions.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #8
63ChevyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Hack View Post
Some 250 Chevy six engines with HEI had the coil mounted to the engine block rather than on the cap, so those won't have the common provisions for Tach and Ignition wires on the cap that you find on typical V8 HEI distribtuors. The tach and ignition wires go to the coil.
The 292 in my 70 C-10 has the coil on the block. The distributor might be bad and I have a coil in cap (brand new) that someone gave me. Not sure if I'm going to use that or go back to the old style distributor with the petronix unit I have sitting on the shelf.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #9
oneshotwebb
FNG

I made a mistake in my question guys, sorry. I have a points distributor now, I am trying to change to an HEI. I aquired a distributor, cap and coil from a 75-+ camaro with an L6. This is the distributor, coil that has no tach or 12 volt switch plug ins. It may not make a difference, if so, let me know. Thanks again fellas.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #10
53sled
Old School HAMBer

There is a plug for power and another for the tach, and a ground strap. HEI is real easy, when complete.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #11
55 dude
Old School HAMBer

find a complete unit it will be much easier.