Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A moment of history...Teixeira Willys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Royalshifter, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Here is the car in 1965 and note the grille.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

40 years later here I am with legendary pinstriper Neil Averill holding the original grille up to the Willys. Neil was the man that did the original artwork and lettering on the Willys in 1964.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  3. Dirty2

Dirty2

Too cool . Did it give you goose bumbs ?

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Goose bumps...If you only knew...strange thing is I remember the car at Raisin City Dragway in 1967 when I was eight years old. Now I am part of the team restoration 40 years later.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008

5. Dirty2

Dirty2

The older I get the worse they are. I love seeing old stuff like that up close . Thanks for posting.

6. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

A HAMBer found the Willys and is saving it after the clown he bought it from was starting to make a billet clad streetrod. Hooray for another HAMB member saving a piece of Drag Racing history. More to come.

7. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I don't do this often, but I voted 5 stars on this thread.

8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I had no idea you were invovled with the restoration. I take it that this photo was taken much later than the other one. Which paint scheme will be used in the restored version?
    [​IMG]

9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Some will not realise the importance of this, but I know the majority of HAMBers will especially yourself and I thank you. For the respect of the owner I will only be giving a few heads up on this project.

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

This will be the car. Teixeira 3.

[​IMG]

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Afraid to ask, but, what or who is Teixeira?

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Fred Teixeira was a raisin farmer in Fresno, CA. He was an early day drag racer and in 1964 he started to build a Willys Drag Car and little did he know became 4 time NHRA B/G Champion.

13. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Later paint job maybe 1968 still on the fender.

[​IMG]

14. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Neil Averill and Fred Teixeira whom has been a driving force in information and remembrance to help restore the Willys. Neil also did the panel paint job in the previous photo.

[​IMG]

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

She is a beauty nude.

[​IMG]

16. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Great to see another one saved. It would be a shame for it to have become another billetclad clown car. I hope you'll keep us up as the resto progresses. Very cool that Fred is involved with it. Thanks for posting this. Mike

17. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Very cool , I have a picture in an old Hot Rod magazine with Fred racing The Hummer Anglia , ( small B&W but captioned ) we'll have to get em together when they are done, I'm starting on a resto of the Hummer after the Father's Day Show.

Attached Files:

18. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Steve that is unreal and I know that will be very possible. I would love to see that photo.

19. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Yes!!!!!! That Rules...

Keep me posted on filming stuff,,,,

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Skip, any chance we will see it at the CHRR?

21. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Hard to answer but I know that is the goal.

22. Buildy

Buildy

Just another Willys Gasser fan saying best of luck with the restoration of this Historic machine!

23. zapp69

zapp69

[​IMG]
    This is from Gassermadness, it became this....

[​IMG]

Good work saving this one from a similar future
    Cant wait to see it done, will it hit the Track again???

I am Sorry I subjected you all to this abomination

24. I agree whole heartedly! Oh. Forgive them father of speed, for they know not what they do! Thank you for saveing another "lost sheep"from the evil of pastel paint and billet!

25. Weasel

Weasel

That is my car which I have up for sale. I absolutely agree with the comments on the 'downgrade'. However it does not have any billet except the inside door handles and armrests - the wheels are Halibrands. The worst thing of all is that this street rod-i-zation was performed by an East Coast Hall of Fame drag racer - can you believe that? :(:eek:

Believe you me the car was a lot worse when I got it, and at least it is a genuine '40 coupe - not a plastic fake. I had planned to return the car to it's former incarnation, but business and too many other projects made it only sensible to allow someone else to do what I simply do not have the time to do. This is the ex Team Jack Merkel/"Wild" Bill Boer B/G Willys and still has its,'glass rear fenders and deck lid from back in the day - the rest is original steel. I have had contact from Joe Kelly, son of the original chassis builder Larry Kelly and someone else who knew the car well and was the push car driver for the Jack Merkel/Ray Kobel C/GAS car.

I am truly sorry guys that you have to endure this, but it can be reinstated to its former glory and absolutely should be. PM me if you are interested in this car. I have many parts that will allow a race restoration including a complete original 1940 Willys chassis. It will be at the L.A. Roadster Show in the preferred parking.

Here are some more photos:

Attached Files:

26. Larry T

Larry T

Ok, I'll bite. Where's the billet?

27. Larry T

Larry T

I guess I was a little late on the draw. I think Jack Olcott was the man that originally built the blue and white car. Here's another car he did. He also founded the East Coast Gassers Association, so I don't think you can put pigeon hole him as a gold chainer.
    Larry T

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/communi...m&albumid=9980131284498&ownerid=9990104369702

Too get back on topic, Fred Teixeira always had beautiful, high dollar racecars. Everything from Altereds to Corvettes. It'd be worth posting pictures of his other cars.
    Larry T

28. Weasel

Weasel

Which makes it all the more amazing that he did what he did to the Bill Boer coupe, knowing full well it's history.

29. Awesome!

Keep us posted as much as you can!

Sam.