Register now to get rid of these ads!

B Banger Build Up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FORDY 6, Aug 24, 2004.

1. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

This is the B motor in my '31 coupe I was trying to get ready for the HAMB Drags, ran out of time and ended up in Arizona visiting my daughter.

Thomas head, Zepher intake with Stromberg 81's, Mallory distributor, header with dual exhaust, etc...Steve

Attached Files:

2. Mild Mitch

Mild Mitch

Have you run it yet? If so, how do you like the Head and Dist?

3. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

I replaced a Lion head and 97's with the Thomas and 81's, it ran good before I tore it apart. Don't anticipate any problems with the new set up. Will test run my coupe shortly, when I finish some brake work...Steve

4. Hey - nice picture. You must have had help loading it...restorit

5. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Very neat post. My pops and I were talking about getting something together with a banger in it for next years drags. I think that I need to blame Mark Morton from Hop-up for setting the bug.

6. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

What cam you got in there?

7. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

4-bangers RULE!

Darryl Deir likes this.
  8. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Supposed to be a Bill Stipe street grind cam, it was already in there when I got the motor.

Thanks for the photo help restorit.

9. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Nice. You got any dyno figures or estimates?
    I'm running a stock banger with a Winfield head & 94 at the moment and am considering what cam to fit over the Winter.

Attached Files:

10. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

well...mine isnt a b.. its an A but it has a winfield head zepher intake dual 97's wico magneto but... i just found a lil metal shavings under the valve cover...bummer

11. TV

TV

Fordy 6, I've done a lot of work on Thomas heads. If you open up behind the valves a small amount and shave it a 1/32". that engine will come alive like no tomarrow.--TV [​IMG]

12. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Thanks for the comments and info...never had it on a dyno, but is much faster than a stock '29 I had a few years ago. 65 mph is no problem, the reason for the brake work.

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Sweet looking 4 banger.My first Model A had the stock one in it when I got it. Drove it from Michigan to Pennsylvania and transplanted the V8 out of my grandfathers.'47 Ford schoolbus. That little 4 would just sing along, almost regretted taking it out.

Frank

14. TV

TV

Fordy 6, I'm alittle surprized you took the Lion head off, I think it's a little better head than a stock Thomas. Like I said with a little work the Thomas will do better, but then again the Lion could stand some work also. I have one of the duel plug Lions I plan on playing with soon.An't this funnnnn.--TV [​IMG]

15. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

TV - I didn't like the looks of the Lion Head, but the dual plug head is another story. What distributor are you using?

16. Mild Mitch

Mild Mitch

I've heard that those LION heads REALLY SUCK, especially the dual plugs version!

17. Elrod

Elrod

Are you planning on selling your Lion Head?

18. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Artiki,
    When you get around to deciding on a cam, I may be of some help. I have been in the cam business 50 years. I have a flathead "B" that makes 168 hp on the dyno on gas.
    Email me about the cam. I don't do business on message boards.
    Pete

m&s rodz likes this.
  19. Mild Mitch

Mild Mitch

Pete,
    I'm interested in your cams for a New A motor we are going to put together shotly for my Daughter's Roadster.
    Please let me know what you have, email:
    [email protected]
    Thanks,
    MM

20. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Pete 1,
    Thanks, I'll keep this topic bookmarked and get in touch when ready.
    What was the spec of the engine that you got 168 bhp from? The sounds like an incredible banger.

21. Darwin

Darwin

168HP out of a flat banger? That's insane. Geez that's pretty good output for a Merc multi-carb V8. The thing must be massively bored and stroked and have a King Kong bottom end.

22. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Here are the specs as close as I remember. I built it 4 years ago.

"B" engine specs.

Block was welded and remachined to have 4 intake ports.
    Cam line bored over size to take .488 lift radius lifter cam.
    D&L Automachine cam and lifters.
    Titanium valves. 5/16 stem, 1.750 heads.
    BB crank drilled for pressure and lightened on throw side to get more counterweight.
    "H" beam forged rods. Forged pistons.
    Dan Price finned head. 10-1 comp.
    Dan Price alum. pan. Dan Price oil pump.
    Jacobs computer ignition. Roto-Faze distributor.
    Equal length header. 12 lb alum. flywheel. Alum clutch.
    Big block Chev front damper. (Fluid type)
    Gear drive starter.
    600 Holley carb on 14 inch runner, manifold.
    I ran the Holley when the engine was in the race car. I ran 2 Stromberg 48's on the street.
    This engine holds the class record in every model A hillclimb it ran in.

23. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

What transmission is everybody using? I still have the stock A unit in for now.
    Pete1 - my B motor isn't quite that wild = $$$, but sounds nice!, just need it to look good and keep up with traffic...Steve

24. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I use a T5 mated to a Chev bellhousing and the bellhousing mated to the B block with a 2 inch thick adaptor.
    Chev flywheel and starter.Very easy conversion.
    Pete

25. Hey Pete1, have any sources or details for stuff like that adapter, where pedals mount etc.? I want to do the same thing to my A- have the bellhousing & T-5, now I want to put it my Tudor. Thanks Jim

26. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I built the adaptor myself and didn't keep any data (dimensions etc). The magic number is 2 inches on the thickness tho. The basic idea is make a template off the block and another off the bellhousing. Then drill appropriate holes on both sides. The center counterbore is the only thing critical. It has to take the transmission pilot and be dialed into the crank centerline.
    I use Wilwood swing pedals.

27. TV

TV

Pete 1, I'm getting 170 HP out of my flathead, My motor is almost a carbon copy of yours big valves,10.5 comp Thomas extra cam brgs wild ass cam.10lb flywheel, Roto Phase with a 6A box We didn't mod the block but I have one I'm going to build. I'll get you the spects on the cam if ya like. O ya I'm also running a t-5 box off a chevy bell. I'll bet you had a hell of a time sealing that 10.5 Thomas. I had to O-Ring mine.--TV [​IMG] [​IMG] O Mild Man, I Heard Winfields suck to. [​IMG]

28. TV

TV

Pete 1 Thats interesting on the adapter I used an explosion proof housing and my plate is 2" also.--TV [​IMG]

29. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Yup, when I had it in the race car I used a Lakewood bellhousing. When I had it in the 2 door I used a stock Chev housing and made 1/4 thick steel floorboards. Not much chance of a racing clutch and flywheel exploding anyway.
    The more weight I added to the 2 door, the better it seemed to tow the trailer.