Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speed Sport Special

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zellerware, May 22, 2008.

1. zellerware

zellerware
    from dad's shop

Here is a great picture of Red Greth's Speed Sport Special back in the early 1960's.

This month's RJ features a nice article on Tucson's Hot Rod scene..

Attached Files:

2. storm king

storm king

I'm working on a similar car now. I've always loved "Old Noisy"!

3. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Lets see some photos so I can do a Rendering.... Gold leaf number,real hand lettering/striping, airbrushed cartoon to go with name...getting excited yet ???

4. KIRK!

KIRK!

This one is about 100 feet from me out in the warehouse, and it's for sale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. WOW!!! That car is a WORK OF ART!!! (OL" NOISY) Kirk, just curious, what are they asking for it?

6. Alot of people do not know about how many really cool hot rod people there are in Tucson. Here is just a sample of the ones that I call good friends of mine.

Bill Cheeseberg= now dead but raced at indy in the 50's I believe and I worked for him for one summer when I was a freshmen in high school.

Charile Hall= not well known too most of you but has been doing metal work since the `1930's and has alot of photos from the days. One favorite is a bunch of his friends and him building hot rods behind Bear Down Gym at the U of A right before the war.

Ted Gay= just pasted away. I worked for him and his son for over 15 years in a mom and pop mechanic shop that worked on anything. Ted was one of the guys in the photos with Charlie and was working on cars till the day he died.

Woody Wordworth= still alive and had a feature in rod and custom in the early 90's who does all his own work except for chroming. He has one of Steve Mcqueens harley's in his collection. Woody is still building cars to this day at 92

John Carter= part former owner of the Old Store and great roundy round racer who still is building hot rods today. He usually is at LA Roadster show every year selling lots of cool hot rod stuff that he has had for years.

Joe Harris= Other half of the Old Ford Store who has built some really nice cars and does some of the best steering columns you have ever seen from scratch custom built to your specs.

I could keep going but these are they heavy hitters in my book that I look up too that will always be willing to take a younger guy under their wings and help out as much as they can.

7. Only one other car on earth ever had the same sound as old noisy. The 454 in Belmont Sanchez's Stude on the salt in 1960. Thinkin' about it just got my pants wet.........................again!