Register now to get rid of these ads!

My '60 Comet wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom Komet, May 21, 2008.

1. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

I've had a few questions about my avatar lately.

Way back in '88, I answered an ad in the paper for a '60 Comet 2 door for sale, and nothing else was mentioned about the car. Assuming it was a 2 door sedan, I called on it, talked to the owner for a bit, arranged to go out and see it, and that's when he mentioned something else about it:

"Hey, there's just one more thing, this car is a 2 door wagon, not a sedan. I hope you're still interested, because two other guys that called on it hung up when I told them that."

"I'll be right over"

The body was nearly perfect. $175 later, it was mine, the tow strap hooked to the Bronco and my buddy and I dragging the non-running, bolt-action six banger depot hack home. I've always had a thing for the unusual, and it doesn't get much more unusual than a Comet 2 door wagon.

And it sat. And sat. And sat some more. Offers were turned down. It became the in-joke among my friends - "When Hell freezes over" and "When Mike restores the Comet" became interchangeable terms in our group. After 18.5 years of excuses and a dozen other car builds, there were no good excuses left.

I stripped it down to an empty can and had it painted, pure toner black and Viper silver with a little flake added to the roof, base/clear. I shaved the fender ornaments but left the rest alone. The interior and all the insulation were so dry that I removed most of it with a shop vac. The real work started with all of the oddball 2 door wagon window channels and glass runs being replaced, almost all of it custom made from bulk channel because it's not available. Every piece of weatherstrip and every other rubber part came from the Dennis Carpenter catalog.

Interior is the stock bench with a V motif on the back rests that I designed and had a local hot rod upholstery shop duplicate in white tuck and roll, black trim, and silver piping. I two-toned the wheel in black and flake silver and added a Merc Man horn ring from a '63 Meteor. I used a nice '63 Falcon wiring harness under the dash and under the hood, to get the electric wipers and better turn signal switch. New moulded carpet and '64 seatbelts and armrests finished it off.
    All the stainless was polished, bumpers rechromed, grille polished, and stuff generally fussed over before assembly, and all plastic lenses were all replaced by NOS parts.

The six got the boot in favor of a rebuilt '65 289 with a Weiand intake and an Autolite 4 barrel, C4, a '63 Sprint 8" rear, all new V8 front suspension, '65 Falcon V8 manual steering, and Granada disc brakes. Suspension is lowered 4" front, 3" rear, and has raised front shock brackets with 1.5" sectioned front bump stop brackets to allow normal suspension travel. Wheels are 14" Supremes with cut cones mounting '03 Marauder center caps, tires are Premium Sport 5.20-14 lowrider series bias ply.

I finished it up just about a month ago, it's fun to drive, reasonably quick, and gets more attention than anything else I have ever owned. Still debating on whether to add a factory roof rack, lower rocker mouldings, and have it pinstriped. (whole car? just the roof?) Need some opinions on that stuff, I don't want to overdo it and it's got plenty of contrast with all the black, white, and chrome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-KK

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's just so damned classy as it sits... I don't know that I would add anything else.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

CLEAN! Don't add anything! Wheels, peaks in grill and taillight trim give it exactly the right amount of busy detail on an uncluttered body.

4. DON'T EVEN THINK about the roof rack!
    lower moldings would be cool though. Keep the pins tasteful, not tons of it just because like too many cats do.

5. T-Roy

T-Roy

What's not to love about 2 door wagons?... Nice car.

6. Great little wagon. I really like it.

JH

7. Budro35

Budro35

Too kool - leave it just the way it is and drive the wheels off of it. :p

8. nailz

nailz
    from San Diego

Your comet is gorgeous just as she sits. Right down to the shift lever knob!

9. Mumbles

Mumbles
    from PNW

Big fan of Comet wagons. I prefer the clean look. I say leave it as it is. Very nice.

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

I realize most don't but I like roof racks. Do what you like.

11. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

crazy idea there with the center caps...looks good.

cool wagon, btw.

12. fatcaddi

fatcaddi

me i would lower it a little more in the rear, and do some simple, make that very simple pinstriping, so where in az you located?

13. meteor

meteor

I wouldn't touch it. Looks great as is.

14. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It's gorgeous

15. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Great job, clean and BEAUTIFUL!!!! Don't change anything - just enjoy it! BTW, What do your friends have to say now? lol :D

16. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

17. dutched32

dutched32

it is an awesome looking car

18. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

The Comet is absolutely killer just the way it sets. Needs nothing.....so add nothing. Just drive the wheels off it and have some fun.

19. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

different, i like it.can't remember ever seeing a 2 door comet wagon!

20. BigRed390

BigRed390

Looks great! I'd leave it alone. Needs nothing!

21. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very, very nice job!! I agree with (most) everyone else - leave it alone and drive the wheels off it!

Cool car.

Malcolm

22. TexasDart

TexasDart

Only thing I would do...since you are in AZ would be to tint the windows and some AC. Looks really good.

23. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

How rare is that? How many years did they make 2-door Comet wagons? I've never seen one and I'm a big 2-door wagon nut! Thanks Jim

24. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

25. Abomination

Abomination

I wouldn't mind seeing a photoshopped rack on it, just to see how it looks. But damn, I'd be hard pressed to say it needed anything!

~Jason

26. elcajon64

elcajon64
    from Dixon, CA

That's gorgeous.
    I have that car's big brother, the 1960 Merc Commuter. I was undecided on a tire choice, but after seeing your Comet, I have to say the thin whites are perfect. Now it seems that Supremes are a serious consideration.

27. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

perfect mike. just perfect.

28. AstroMonkey

AstroMonkey

I love it the way it is. I hope mine looks as good when/if I ever finish.

Currently I have a 60 Sedan that's all shaved and lowered.
    I also have a 61 Sedan that might end up a gasser.

29. deedster

deedster

That's soo...nice !!.. I sure wouldn't change it.. I was wondering like Jim A.. How rare is that ? I sure don't recall seeing a 2 dr. wagon either...