Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Original Unrestored" PATINA HOW-TO, By SHAW, W/PICS! (not the worn brush paint type)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joshua Shaw, May 11, 2008.

1. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I know The patina Issue has been discussed a few times on here. This post is NOT an invite to a "what you think of patina" talk.

I Just wanted to show those of you who are interested, a step by step how-to of an the "Original Unrestored" look.

This look is probably the hardest of the patina techniques. When done right, it will fool most... Unfortunatly. I have mixed emotions about doing paint jobs like this due to the Legal problems it could bring the artist.

If you (a good artist) paint someone a Fake Picasso and they sell it as an original.. YOU GO TO JAIL TOO!!! This is no "Picasso" but what do you think an original, unrestored 1912 harley is worth.. To cover my ass I sign, date and "mark" them in three places. I only tell the owner about one of them.

A lot to think about..

Anyways.. Here ya'll go.

This bike was an interesting deal. It is an original, and it was "Patina'd" for real.. BUT! it was the wrong color grey(very dark) and the frame was black. The owner wanted all the correct color but to look as worn as the rest of the parts. So, I had to completely dissasembly the bike, blast it, prime it and start over.

Enjoy.

Here it is the Correct color, and the factory pinstripping done. I then wet sanded through in a few spots and buffed it. Then tha decals were added.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the "tools of the trade"

Various "chip makers", skratchers, and pictures of "Real unrestored" bikes.

[​IMG]

Hold the chain wadded up like your going in to fight. Then have at it. Be sure to pay attention to where chips "should" be... The front sides of the frame tubes, around Nuts and bolts that are Changed a lot (like wheels, seat, bars maybey)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Think about things that you know happen to cars and bikes, like the chain coming off ands eating up the crank tube.

[​IMG]

Make it happen like it would have.. Ripp a chain back and forth on it!

[​IMG]

Thumbs up to Harley Davidson! (watch them screw drivers)

[​IMG]

This is just one of the "cover my ass" signatures, it is inbetween the tanks. Not visible..

[​IMG]

Here is some "rub through" and Chips.

[​IMG]

Use a pair of pliers and rough up all the nuts and bolts.

[​IMG]

This Gradder takes it down to BARE METAL quick!! These areas get Murratic acid brushed on them at the end. They rust overnight and streak perfectly!

[​IMG]

Then, You need to mix up some VERY thin very reduced paint. This has a touch of black and a touch of brown base coat. (I have used wood stain in the past, but it takes weeks to dry cause its an oil based stain)

[​IMG]

Start airbrushing light coates, and just keep building it up.. Only you can decide when its enough. once again, pay attention to where thing would be dirty, stained or streaked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more to come...

2. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Be sure to 'Stain" extra dark around parts that get oiled or greased, like wheels, chains and engines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ofcoarse, darken the inside of the fenders.

[​IMG]

Here it is 99% finished. I took it a bit farther from here. I rubbed in "real" Grease and grime in certain spots, and rusted some places.

Pictures don't do it justice, it has the look in person!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks.

Joshua Shaw.

AndersF likes this.
  3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

4. 2-TONED

2-TONED

that is one "mint" original untouched bike!
    cooool as hell!
    thanks for the peek & step by step.

5. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That is some awesome tech.

6. Subtle is the "trick".

Of course,subtlety is lost on some people.

7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I used to have mixed feelings about fake aged patina, until I realized I won't live long enough to enjoy the real thing once I built a new car...very nice Josh.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. NealinCA

NealinCA

Thanks for the tech...it does have it's place. The airbrushed "stains" are really cool.

I really enjoy your artwork. Thanks again for sharing.

Neal

9. that is freaking nuts!
    i couldn't fathom taking all the time to paint a bike and then giving it the old chain hand shake. but after looking at this, i'd consider it.
    you my man, have a way with artful damage.
    i'm gonna steal all your neat ideas.
    thank you very much.
    NEAT BIKE>
    Neat TECH!

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

still too shiney. get on back there and beat it with a chain some more. thin the paint with some brillo pads, then park it in the middle of a lawn sprinkler spewing out salt water. scuff that clean aluminum and rub 50 year old gear oil all over it and let it soak in... maybe even bake it in an oven for a bit so it won't rub off.

11. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Ha ha ha in the ole days people were worried about putting that first scratch in it. Now we are worried about having shiny new paint on...

That is cool. Thanks for the tips and pics.

12. That's some great work. Thanks for posting.

13. toddc

toddc

And then park it under a Gum tree in the rain. A week in my yard, and anything looks 30 years old.

Singing with a marker is a great idea - nobody is gonna get that off.:eek:

14. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Looks OLD Josh, I really dig it, especially after seeing it in person BEFORE you did the art work!

15. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

Josh, you do good work...but I have seen these types of "jobs" before and the paint, like yours, is still too shiney. You need to "tone down" the entire paint job before you beat on it....... maybe you did that but didn't mention it. Hard to tell in the pics, still looks shiney. Wipe it all down with laquer thinner (quickly) to kill the shine. You're using a grader where someone would have rubbed their knees with clothing, isn't that a little too much?? Nice work !!

16. stretch 1320

stretch 1320

Looks good from here dude! Thats some killer good tech, thanks for sharing!

17. L110Mike

L110Mike
    from North OC

just being curious here, but how long did that take to do? i was thinking that with the hours you spent on the patina, what if you drove it for the same amount of time, and took it apart/ put it back together 5-7 times and how that would look? either way, you could've fooled me. thanks for the info.

18. Florian

Florian

very cool post!

19. wvenfield

wvenfield

I don't get it either but the point is, this is what the owner wanted and he got an excellent job.

Very nice work.

20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

You scare me.

Excellant work.

21. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Sweet post josh.. Ive actually been thinking about messing with my 32. This gives me more to think about.
    Dave

22. Bitchin'!!
    As far as I'm concerned, you are the "Hotrod Picasso" of our generation.

23. Lucky77

Lucky77

That's awesome! You do incredible work.

24. Scott

Scott

Let me ride it through the high desert for a summer or 2 . that will knock the shine off:D

25. Artie B

Artie B

I've always admired all your work... u have amazing talent!

26. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Good info and technique. I couldn't do that to that bike, too small of huevos here! And I ain't doing it to my '07 HHR either!

Anyway, that is pretty cool how you work it out. Reminds me of my WW2 aircraft dioramas I built as a kid. Shot-up B-29s and such. Hats off to ya Josh!

27. Great work Josh. Looks like a lot of fun.... & work.

Hopefully this will get placed in the Tech-O-Matic before it gets deleted.

JH

28. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Seems like one of those things that if you miss, you miss by a mile. Pretty cool technique wether you plan to use it or not.

29. scarylarry

scarylarry

Drive it far enough and hard enough it will get aged! Very nice work Josh.