Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finding my car after 2 years!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sobastrace, May 7, 2008.

1. Hi All,
    I have been away from the HAMB for a while, and it is great to have some time where I can check back into the HAMB every few days. After a few weeks of logging in, I decided to see if I could dig out a few of the cars that I thought I had buried under a pile of CR*P in the garage.
    The last two years had a relocation, a growing child, a lost job, and starting my own company. When the move took place, I had the garage stuffed to the gills and threw out everything that did not fit in the new garage.
    I did not even have time to organize or build shelves.....that has got to change. I decided to start throwing more things out to see if I could "free" any of the cars from the clutter.

The first thing I dug out was my 48 Dodge Pickup. I have still not found all the parts, but I did find my list of to-do's, so I got out some catalogs and starting getting what I need. I ordered a nice steerign column from limeworks, some Flaming River U joints, DD steering rod, column mounts and a new rag joint.
    I also dug out the White Wall Hurst Cheater slicks I got from Adam.

I still need 4 steel wheels for the truck, and some front tires. I am not sure where to get them from.

My goal is to start trying to pull this together even if it means working late at night when the little one is asleep.

-Sobastrace

Attached Files:

2. welcome back. and good luck.

3. redwudz

redwudz

I know how you feel. I just lost the pasture I had some of my cars stored in, and have spent the last few weekends cutting down trees so I would have a place to put them. One of my rediscovered projects is a 48 dodge pick-up. Good luck with your build.

4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

glad you dug it out , time to wrench on it

5. I need to build a floor before I can get the steering column hung, so that is the first step.

I measured up and made some templates, so I know how much steel I need. That small block is sitting Way back so I have to build a nice removable box to be able to get at the engine when needed.

I will play around with a couple of ideas in cardboard this weekend.

It would be a whole lot easier, if I could just weld up the floor, and not need access, but that would make working on the motor a pain....

Attached Files:

6. premium

premium
    from Goergia

dont be a stranger!!... nice shop!

7. Okay, the 55 Ford has been a pain, so I went back to the Dodge for a breather.

I broke out my old metal work tools, that have not been used in years and years to see if I still knew what I was doing. I rolled my metal work table out front and started on the floors of the Dodge. I got the center portion started, but I have not Plannished the final floorboard yet. I plan on doing the driverside tomorrow.

The Garage is still a total mess, but I have been throwing tons of stuff out, and I have been moving things to the attic, and generally trying to get my act together.

More to come as I get more things done.

Attached Files:

8. PollockzRodz

PollockzRodz

Nice project or Projects. If you dont know about Speedwaymotors.com already you should deffiently look into them for cheap parts to finish any project. You can buy your tires from coker tire with the hamb discount which is an awesome thing if your still looking for tires and want to save some cash. I also had the same problem with my T truck floor. It all had to be removable to have access to everything. Here are a few pics maybe they can help ya out if you are still having a brain block. Keep up the good work.
    -Jon

Attached Files:

9. today Brent (Blown9746) stopped by and we cranked on getting some floor boards pulled together. I still need to do some final fitting, punch some holes, and roll a few beads, but it is looking much better.

I really wish there were more hours in the day, and that I did not have family obligations, and chores. I would love to focus on this and get it done.

Attached Files:

10. I think I pulled too many leafs out of the rear springs, so I am going to put 1 back in each side to get it to sit a bit higher in the rear. The way it sits now, it will drag the rear fenders.

11. Got the steering linkage in, and I am trying to set up the power steering hoses next. I am going to pick up some more sheet metal and work on the rest of the floor soon. I also decided to put one more leaf back into the rear leaf spring packs to pick up an inch. It will help me get in and out of the drive way. I also started pulling the wires and I will spend the weekend mounting wire clips to hold the harness. The truck was sitting so long all the seals dried up in the TH350 and the tranny is leaking like a sieve now. I guess it is time to pull it out and start over with new seals.

Attached Files:

12. Now that's a cool project. Keep us updated.

13. fxfxr

fxfxr
    from eureka, ca

Welcome back. Looking good.

14. I found the box with the extra leaf springs tonight. I also started getting all the junk stored in the bed out, to make room. I will get it up on jack stands and crawl under it to see what else has started leaking from sitting so long (the tranny is leaking everywhere...needs to come out for all new seals).

I also need to make a decision on a steering wheel so I can steer the truck (the 55 ford is behind it, and I need to get her out of the garage).

Too many things to do, and not enough free time.

15. find a piece of leather from old belt wrap it around splines for steering wheel and clamp on some vice grips. it's probably a GM spline so most gm wheels will slip on. pull-a-part? cool project.

16. rogg49

rogg49
    from michigan

cool man this is what ill be digging up this weekend

[​IMG]

17. Rogg, looks like you have your work cut out for you.

55 Dude...it is actually a Limeworks hot rod column that has the three bolt setup for a steering wheel. I kinda wish it had a traditional spline as the old Dodge wheel is Awesome.

18. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

You will need a camera for that trip. Pretty badass.

19. nice to see another old Dodge truck on the HAMB.... especially one chopped. Keep the updates coming. Mine sits on a dakota chassis.

20. rogg49

rogg49
    from michigan

im diggn it up by myself i dont need it im just tryn to save it from the scrappers that will be clearin out the property the owners gave me permission to do it so why not

21. Moparman....I probably should have just done the dakota chassis...it would have saved me a bunch of headaches. It is nice to know someone else has one. It feels like I have one of the few early dodge pickups out there.

Rogg.....don't work too hard. that thing looks like a crazy easter project.