Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cars With Appeal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 1, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ahhh....the really good old days. The full color pages that you describe were my favorite part of the magazines.....I was 15 in 63, so what the hell would I know !!

Nice article !

3. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

I agree, them were the good old days.

4. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

Cheesecake - HotRods/Hot Gals

I had spent the Summer of 62, as a 14 Year Old, in SoCal visiting my 21 Year Old Cousin. I was able to go where and when I wanted to. What an Education.

5. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I read and reread those magazines so many times (gotta do something in English class) that I had them practically memorized. Thanks, Ryan, for the flashback. Maybe I will pull a stack of those off the shelf tonite and revel in those old issues.

6. customcory

customcory

Growing up that was always my favorite part of Hot Rod, when they would give you a few color shots! Have you ever noticed how the green grass contrasted on the cars, it always put me in a state of mind of summer days going barefooted, maybe its just me! One of the reasons I like to put a car right in the middle of some grass when I draw them is directly related to those color pictures youv'e posted. Thanks Ryan, that stuff always looks good!:D

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Man I love that 32.

8. surfing and hot rods go hand in hand
    now i have the pics to prove it:)

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

There were so many more "cars with appeal" built back then than there are today.....much more colorful in the early 60's.
    Todays builder's (generally) seem to have a narrower focus.....

10. DollaBill

DollaBill

I was fortunate to grow up in the S.F. Bay Area...and everytime I see these types of images, I recall that the world WAS a much different place. To a large extent, and certainly in NorCal, life was just like it appears in these pictures.

The grass was green. The air was clear. There weren't so many cars, and no strip mall clutter in the background. Men were skinny, and wore plaid, girls had actual female shapes, and no one was tattooed except for the sailors.

And every issue of Hot Rod was cherished.

11. DrJ

DrJ

The best part was the; "Wow! What a bunch of cool new ideas on that car!" instead of; "That's just not the way it's supposed to be done.." mentality of people.

I think the first full color spread in HR was a Landy's Dodge in action, wasn't it?

12. I have a bunch of those issues! Dig the green W motor powered ride. They really are good reference pieces!

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

that blue Tudor is sweet..

14. I wasn't around back then, but it sure seemed simpler. Too many people are in it just for the all mighty dollar. I guess it's not a bad thing but just too many try to be "that guy"... I don't know... just have fun for once, Enjoy the ride, so to speak! ???
    I have always looked through the stacks of my Dads old magazines, Hot Rod, Rod & Custom, and lots of Dirt Bike Mags from back then. Awesome stuff, think I'll dig them out at his house this weekend, it's been awhile!

15. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Yessir. I was born in '65 here in the Valley of the Damned, and I remember what you describe. Men wore short sleeve plaid button down shirts and if they were going out to dinner, maybe a bolo tie. Curvy women wore scarves on their boufant or beehive hair-dos.

It may be THE reason I love looking at mid 60's to early 70's west coast photography, I was there, and I truly envied adults, they were so cool! Now the adults are us, I think we've dropped the ball, ha.

16. In scrutinizing these cool ass pics,I couldn't help but notice on #7, is that a flatty with faux valve covers? And also notice the chrome trailer balls on the frame horns, that thing was flat towed!

Thanx Ryan, another great eye opener.

17. Zumo

Zumo

Check out the front wheels on this one:

[​IMG]

They look like chrome versions of the steelies you find behind hubcaps on current model cars.

18. farm boy

farm boy
    from reedley

Right On!!!!!!!! Problem with surfin.......... check out Wavewatch for central coast.....6 ft and glassy........no workie on hot rod.......Oh Well! Oly

The cancer car lives
    Give to cancer research

19. tjm73

tjm73

Love #2.... the full fendered T-tub with Radir wheels. Sweet!

20. woodbox

woodbox

Love the pictures, specially how staged they look! Even the bikini bottoms that nearly reach the tops.

Hate to think how much bump steer, the green T in picture #10, would have had!!

21. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

The green T is great.

Unlike alot of people, I was not around back then so I appreciate you taking the time to post these pix. I grew up in the 70s with the cheesy show rods made out of pool tables etc. (which, i have to admit I have a nostalgic soft spot for - don't stone me here, it's just that I had a nice happy childhood).

These pix seem to be from the time just prior to that. You can see a small amount of cheese (like carriage lamps) but not much and still nice looking hot rods.

22. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

i'm more than a little inspired by that woodie pickup.

thanks

23. How often do you see reversed Imperial wheels nowadays?

24. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

That Deuce Sedan is STUNNING!Great colour.I won't say no to owning any of those BABIES,The cars that is!!!

25. Hot damn, I love that 1960-1964 style. When Drew and I were putting together my coupe that's exactly the vibe we were trying to achieve.

Thanks Ryan.

26. [​IMG]

This was one of my favorites too. Stared at it for hours as a kid thumbing through my dad's old mags.

27. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I was 12 when that came out. I subscribed to Hot Rod, Car Craft, R&C, Drag News and later, Popular Hot Rodding. Loved those mags!
    If my memory serves me correctly, the first issue of Hot Rod with color inside the magazine was an issue with a photo of the Greer, Black and Prudhomme rail.
    Some of the younger guys and those who are new to the hobby would be real smart to start collecting these early magazines (Ebay, wherever...) and getting a perfect look at traditional hot rods.
    "Traditional" to some today means primer paint, and, etc.,etc. you know the rest....wrong!
    For the most part, the cars featured in these magazines from the 40's, 50's and early 60's are all examples of how to get the look right.
    The guys trying to duplicate "the look" need to study the legends from "the day".
    The cars in these magazines weren't built to "look" badass, they simply were badass....and beautiful.

28. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Does anybody have anymore info or pictures of this Green T????
    Man I think I may just change directions on mine I really dig the stance and look.
    Looks like the rear is stock height or so? Of course I don't have a 409 laying around but the over all look is very cool.

Attached Files:

• 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      42 KB
      Views:
  29. Deadender60

Deadender60

Those are Neat!

Who took these pictures? You got any photo credits Ryan?

-Juan

30. joebuick

joebuick

nice... I love 60s styling