Register now to get rid of these ads!

Well, my frame is primed (pics), now I need to pick a finish color...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Apr 23, 2008.

1. I spent about an hour and a half at the paint store yesterday looking at their really old color books. I'm trying to find a non-metallic blue-gray that was a factory color (any make) from 1960 or earlier. I was originally thinking about Washington blue, but the chip at the paint store was very dark. I don't really want a blue that looks black in low light. The DP60 I sprayed today is way too light and bright. I found a 57 Ford color yesterday called Dresden Blue that I liked in the store, but the chip looks pretty much like the primer color I don't like, so that's out. I want to find a blue-gray color that's not as dark as Washington Blue, but darker than Dresden Blue. I took a picture at the paint store of another early Ford blue color (1931) called Riviera Blue along with the Dresden Blue swatch. See pic below. Do you guys have any color suggestions? Please be specific so I can take a look at the chip at the paint store. I've also included a few pictures of my frame in primer. I hope to top coat it this Friday if I can settle on a color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Looks great! For an A?

3. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

that blue looks bitchin i think!

4. 29paul

29paul

Looks good I like Ford 1965 portifino blue here is a pic.Its a blue -gray color.Oh when you finish come over and paint my cab and bed.:D [​IMG]

5. 29paul

29paul

Hey dave not sure if its metallic.Go to Allthingscobra.tripod.com on main page go down click on paint color galleries.Click on Blue its about 20 or more with paint codes.

6. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

I can't remember what my frame is. I know its a factory color. I painted the frame and wheels (shiny) with single stage. For the body I just chose the closest color of formula primer that Spies-Hecker has in their chip book to match my frame. Ill check my frame color tomorow.

check the vw's on this page i like the blues on a few of them. PS your frame looks great.

7. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

my coupe color is called "peacock blue"

Cruzr here on the hamb has a washington blue coupe and it looks real bitchin,

also i got a gallon of "lapis blue" from basf, and i think its what your looking for, go on there sight and check it out, i didnt use the color yet... -jordan

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

If you go to an autobody store that carries Dupont paint, they should have a catalog of "straight" colors (non-metallic or pearl). I can't remember what it's called, but it's generic colors used on fleets.
    The whole book is nothing but color chips, segmented by base color. The colors run from almost white/blue to almost black/blue, and have tints of each color as well, i.e., blue green, violet blues, gray blues, etc. if you can't find the color you want there, it don't exist! In fact it's difficult to distinguish some of the colors, the gradiations are so slight from chip to chip. I'd bring something to match a color to, to make it easier.

9. Also, It seems to me that you can have any color mixed, let's say you found a color you like but it is shown as a metallic, couldn't you just leave the ground-up aluminum out?

10. DrJ

DrJ

You need to find a body color and then find a frame color you think compliments it.
    That's why most factories painted them all works-with-all Black.

No.
    A typical metallic color, like Chevy's Nassau Blue, is around 80% Metallic silver,Blue, Black, and a few percent Red!
    That Red with the Blue makes it a Purple don't it?
    If you take the silver out your color mixer would have to find a gray that was the same and adjust all the rest of the formula t come back to what the metallic did to your perception of the color.
    Remember the Blue that's actually a Purple?
    Possibly, if you find the color in a printed ad that doesn't habve the metallic in the print it could be scanned and mixed to match the ad.

11. Well???

Will the Vicky be primed, reassembled and driven to the Showdown??? :)

12. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

I had mine powder coated, but looked at the paint store first.
    If you want I can go out and dig through the paperwork and see if I can come up with a code, just let me know.

Attached Files:

13. Dirk35

Dirk35

Here is a picture of Ford Blue (Napa rattle can High Temp engine paint) in low light. It doesnt look grey even in the lowest of light. You could match it pretty easily.

Attached Files:

14. Roadsir

Roadsir

15. You might look at VW Bus Dove blue. It was mostly used on comercial busses pre64 panels trucks etc. I have always loved that color it a real pretty blue gray.

16. stretch 1320

stretch 1320

Looking good from here!

17. titus

titus

im not going to be able to picture your car blue, the red primer is stuck in my head forever!

cant wait to see it

jeff

18. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Wow man, that looks great! I bet you are excited to see this thing coming together. Color choice is always such a tough thing. Keep posting progress pics, we love pics:D
    Dan

19. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Oh man, I forgot to find out what color mine is. :( Im so sorry man.