Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Style Cloth Wire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tylersloan, Apr 20, 2008.

1. tylersloan

tylersloan
    from baytown tx

hey i havent bought any thing from this site i dont know how good it is but it looks cool for vintage wiring for old cars http://www.magnetoparts.com/ im not trying to give this company a plug i just think it would be a help to some folks

2. tylersloan

tylersloan
    from baytown tx

yea im planing on building a r/p in the near future and is going to look like it was built in 1948 6 volt one tail light maby bluish gray paint with black spoke wheels and blackwalls and a bone stock flathead thats why i posted this wire thread

3. krooser

krooser

good link...British Wiring in PA can also supply good looking vintage wiring stuff...

4. irishpol

irishpol
    from Texas

5. Flatheaded

Flatheaded
    from Nordakoda

The Hot Rod Company has this wire and terminals too. Just ordered some for my Hemi. They are vendors on here. Get those discounts!!

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Silva's Speed Shop - alliance vendor - can get that stuff too

7. timmy t

timmy t

snyders antique auto parts sells wire by the foot. they have several different colors some solid and some with different color tracers.

8. i'm sure there are many good places to get it ,but i always get it from Rhode Island wire service . i believe they actually make the stuff they sell....and i have always got fast service

9. damnfingers

damnfingers

I can vouch for Brillman...good service.

10. Yaril

Yaril

anyone try those braided spark plug wires on a sbc?

11. Skirv

Skirv

Yes I have. They work fine as long as you are not using an electronic ignition.

[​IMG]

12. Why not on an electronic ignition?

13. phlip

phlip

You can't run an electronic ignition with solid core wire because the solid core wire makes "noise" that interferes with the electronic ignition. That cloth covered wire is solid core.

14. Does anyone make stranded wire with cloth covering?

15. swissmike

swissmike

The interference is not the only problem when running electronic ignition. The resistance of the carbon core wire is necessary for the system to put out the full charge. Some systems can get damaged if you use solid core.

Be careful when running the cloth wrapped wire. I am running it on my open engine roadster and it left me stranded one time after a good down pour. The cloth will become conductive when wet, especially after years of dust and grime on the cloth. It was enough to weaken the spark to a point that I could not start the car. Had to use a hair dryer to dry the wiring and then it would start right up. Maybe cutting the cloth wrap back to where it is not contacting the terminals should help, too.

16. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Hi

I went out in the lab and found this shelf full of wire.

This is stuff I have found over many many years of garage sales and swapmeets.

Looking thru the spools this is the company that looks like they may still be in business. I have 100ft rolls from them but took a photo from a 1000ft'r just to make it easy to read

Might be a place where you don't have to pay a buck-0-foot to get wire.

Hope it helps

Attached Files:

17. Thank you all for the great information. Bluto, as always, you are a veritable plethora of unbelievable knowlege and wealth of unusual items!! In other words, I'm jealous.-MIKE:D:cool: