Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Sedan Progress: Body off, Chassis repair and rear perches

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mart, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Mart

Mart

Pulled the body:
    [​IMG]

Set it aside:
    [​IMG]

Chassis wasn't bad:
    [​IMG]

But had a nasty bulge on the right hand rail over the axle:
    [​IMG]

And the same problem but worse on the left. It had cracked and been repaired:
    [​IMG]

Looks even worse from the other side:
    [​IMG]

Right side was straightened (the rear horn was low) with heat and persuesive hammer work, and a big piece of angle iron pulling it up:
    [​IMG]

Left side was chopped out, and the section replaced in 3 pieces. Here the top is in place. Lots of measuring involved.. had to do this first piece twice, first was too short:
    [​IMG]

Here's a good trick, cut your patch pieces from heavy rectangular section, you get the nice radius in the edge then. Don't cut the side too deep and you can bend it easily:
    [​IMG]

Rail was straghtened to match the other side using the same method. I did this before the side was filled so it was very easy:
    [​IMG]

Side filled in, including a gash left from removing the remnants of that piece of heavy strap:
    [​IMG]

Quick lick over with the grinder and I was very pleased with the result:
    [​IMG]

I had already fixed the cracks in the front crossmember, that'll get used as is.

Next up: Rear spring perches:

I am using a 35 rear axle, and wanted bolt on perches, compatible with the 32 rear spring.

As always on a job like this, I start with lots of measuring, then a pattern cut from my favourite brand of cereal packet.
    [​IMG]

2 pieces were cut from a chunk of 10mm plate. I had already done the cutouts with hole saws.
    [​IMG]

The tubular pieces were made on the lathe from a section of Valiant halfshaft and were welded in place, and the perch bent to the correct angle measured off the 32 axle.
    [​IMG]

The perches were then trimmed to a more pleasing shape and a bracing piece was then added to strengthen the bracket against bending.
    [​IMG]

I'll add more as I fit the spring and sling it under the frame.
    I've got to shorten the torque tube and driveshaft yet, so plenty to do.
    Mart.

PS if anyone like old machine tools I put a clip of my vintage Hendey lathe in action on Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRkmcYQYj1g
    Warning:make sure you have your anorak on before viewing.

2. The body that you took off looks great, I assume you are repairing the chassis? Good start, most would just buy a new one. Are you going to box the rails once it is cleaned up a bit?

Good luck. Keep the rest of us posted. 32 Sedans are my favorite body style, I look forward to seeing it done.

3. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

looks like a great project. That car was in very decent shape to start with, a rarity for a 32 these days. Good work!

4. The bracket you added to the spring perch is pure genius.

JH

5. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Great project. I like the spring hanger idea.

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Way cool, Mart! Some brilliant fab going on there...

7. Mart, you,re a glutton for punishment but you make it look easy. Small bracing piece looks nice, probably not neeeded but looks good.

8. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Neat way of adapting the later rear, and you could even go back to '36 bones if and when you find them.

9. That looks really good Mart. When are you coming back AZ. We need to take another ride on freeway in the coupe.

10. turdytoo

turdytoo

Great save on frame. Project looks good.

11. timmy t

timmy t

Looking good. Just did the same on my frame. It sure is rare if you get a frame that doesnt have a bulge in it.

12. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

Thank for the pics... look's great.

13. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Great stuff, Mart. That body looks really solid - good find!

Malcolm