Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fram Filters...Anyone having trouble with them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Tony, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Big Tony

Big Tony

I had a slight problem on the way back from Round Up and my motor guy said all his racing / hot rod buddies do not run Fram anymore because of collapsing problems. I have used Fram my whole life with no problems and just wonder if anyone else is having problems. I trust my motor guy completely and will start running Wix filter as he suggested.

So whats ya'll's opinion???

2. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

Pieces of shit.

3. Fairlane Dave

Fairlane Dave

I've been reading the same thing on some SBF related message boards that I visit. I typically use Fram filters as well, especially when they have the $12.99 Castrol Oil/Fram filter specials at AutoZone! I've been meaning to switch to Wix or Mobil1 and probably will at next oil change.

What were your symptoms - oil pressure, I guess? I've been reading about drainback issues on the Fram that cause oil pressure problems at startup.

4. jonny o

jonny o

Use the Fram racing filters and haven't had any trouble recently. What should I look out for?

5. The Fram racing filters are OK, though there are at least four other brands I'd choose first for racing purposes. The street filters are now complete and utter crap. Loss of oil pressure is one problem at all engine speeds, but the lack of filtration is what's appalling.

Wix filters, or NAPA Gold (made by Wix) are a pretty good compromise between price & quality. Oddly enough, the Wal-Mart house brand filters aren't bad either...they appear to be made by Purolator, last time I looked.

So far as racing filters, I'm impressed as hell with the Jomar filters....Ford Racing, Wix Racing, K&N, are also good, depending on what thread & diameter you have to have. Moroso filters used to be good as well..haven't used one in awhile so I can't say whether they still are. :)

6. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

I sold Wix filters for over 12 years to heavy equipement companies, agriculture, and industry as well as Johnny retail and I have seen every branded filter's internals out there. I quarantee if you take a Delco, Fram, Purilator, etc. and cut them open you would have a cow. The wix filter is the only one with an actual check spring the others use a piece of by metal. Also the Wix filter has much more filter surface area than the others, may more pleats. Don't take my word for it, but you sure will if you wack open the others. Those outside cases hide a multitude of sin. And why not buy the best oil filter you can as it is without a doubt the best and cheapest insurance for keeping your motor clean inside!!!!!

7. jonny o

jonny o

Been a fan of the fram racing since the guy who helped with the rotating assembly recommended it over moroso. I have used both and don't have any complaints with either... My girlfriend likes moroso because she draws on them with sharpie while I'm draining the ole sludge.

Had a bad experience with a k&n once, probably my fault, but won't use one again.

Tell me about jomar, never seen one.

8. Wix all the way here!

9. http://www.jomarperformance.com/ You can also get them through Jomar dealers a bit cheaper. Unfortunately, they only make the Ford/Mopar style 3/4"-16 UNF thread filters, I suspect because most of the aftermarket remote bases/cooler adaptors use that thread, so they won't go directly onto most GM engines.

Wix Racing filters are also a very good choice & possibly easier to get on short notice.

10. jonny o

jonny o

Will check it out, thanks for the advice man.

11. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Fram is crap. Use Wix or NAPA Gold (same thing).

12. Bravo,well said. Remember me the guy that can show you the crazy blowed up shit that the racers bring me to fix? This is my quote"Cheap ass engine Cheap ass oil filter" Cut one open and you'll cry. Plastic shit,paper just sitting in the case with kite string and a bi-metal toy spring,etc. I can't believe some people put a $2.50 oil filter on a high dollar engine! Oh Shit I forgot. Is it an Engine or a Motor>>>>.

Attached Files:

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the guy who built a couple of motors for me saw a Fram on my 289 told me the same thing... Fram=junk , Wix=good

of course all good gearheads know the FRANTZ toilet paper filter is the best by far.:D

14. talisman

talisman
    from Texas

This is not an opinion. Don't ever. EVER use Fram oil filters. If you've got $15 laying around go and buy 3 or 4 different brand filters for your car and cut them open. If you've been using Fram it will make you sick to your stomach.

15. Only if you use CHARMIN>>>>.

16. PumpGasRatVette

PumpGasRatVette

Wix beats Fram so many times over that it is rediculous. I've got several "high-dollar" motors, and I'd never use Fram.

17. WIX is the ONLY way to go and you can get them at any OReillys.

I run Wix Racing on my 502 Marine engine. I get them at OReillys too.

18. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Dickster27 and all the rest are correct ,WIC is the best ,
    I changed from Fram long ago.
    Just my 2 cents............

19. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Wix here too ... I get 'em from RockAuto for less than $4 a pop.

20. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

i have been using fram filters on my daily drivers for years....never had a problem but this is making me re-think that. i've never cut open a fram filter, but now i want to just to see what's inside.
    on my 55, i run nothing but wix filters. my 55 still has the original canister filter, and napa sells the filters for it cheap.
    another oil filter that i have seen collapse is baldwin. i've seen several of them collapse internally. baldwin filters are junk as far as i'm concerned, and it sounds like fram filters are following suit.
    i see collapsed baldwin oil and fuel filters all the time at work.(fuel and oil filters on diesel engines).

21. Big Dad

Big Dad

22. tigmusky

tigmusky

yep, I went to dyno my motor a few months ago ,and the frist question the dyno guy ask was " you do you have a fram oil filter" I said no, why? "They blow motors and make a mess of my dyno room." happy rolling with Napa!!
    Daye

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

back in the mid 90's when I was still roadracing motorcycles most sanctioning bodies banned Fram filters, They would actually blow off a bike. The threads were crap... I pretty much stopped with them then....

24. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Anyone use a System1 reusable filter? Anything good or bad?

25. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

I've been cutting open aircraft filters for our helicopters every fifty flight hours for over 20 years so the first time I cut open an auto filter to check it out I was sorely disapointed. Wix is as close as it gets but even they don't measure up to a Champion aircraft filter. If you open a Fram or some of the other cheepies you can pull the filtration pleats out with your fingers and in little pieces too. Wix have to be cut out so thats as good as it gets.

26. BigChief

BigChief

This dude took the matter to task....check this site out. This study has been out there a few years but the information still pretty much holds true. Lots of great information on filter construction based on actual filter brands/models being cut open for evaluation.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

-Bigchief

27. Great article Bigchief, thank you.
    Been using Fram and Wix for many years, bye bye Fram.
    Just think soon they'll ALL be high quaility Chinese unit..... that'll simplify things, uh?
    Howard

28. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Yikes ... buy up Wix by the case while they're still good.

29. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

I work in a parts store and I have seen the inside of them all. I wouldn't use a FRAM if they were free. WIX only. :(

30. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

Strange coincidence this topic comes up. I started my 39 monday night, 20lbs oil presure cold ,I didnt even let it warm up!!Fram filter ,one of those with the easy grip!! Went to local parts store bought a Wix, 65 lbs a cold at idle, Worked at a GM dealer back in the late 70s we had several complaints from customers with low oil presure after thier first oil change, 99% has a el cheepo oil filter from one of those quick change joints! No more Fram for me!!