Register now to get rid of these ads!

who's built a teardrop trailer from scratch..??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

in the next year or so, id like to build my own teardrop trailer,,ive seen plans for sale on ebay, but was just wondering what others have done,,,i dont like to go strictly from a plan,,i know id have to modify it somehow to make it "mine",,,i have some ideas for a few deco touches id like to do,,,,so lets see some pics for inspiration,,,also, how difficult was it to build, where did you buy materials, how much did it cost for materials, and how much did you deviate from your original plans?

2. 383 240z

383 240z

I haven't started on mine just yet but I've planning it out in my head for about a year now. I'll post a few good links when I get back to my PC. Keith

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Google teardrop trailers. You will have to wade through the usual junk but there are several great sites. somewhere I have a cd I bought on ebay that has the plans coppied from a way back when Popular mechanics or Mechanics illustrated.
    http://www.teardrops.net/ Has a lot of info.

I have a frame that was made out of T rails with a later ford axle and the Big pattern Ford wheels that was under a teardrop and will be again by next year.

4. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Are these worth big bucks or? I saw one sitting in a field the other day,It didnt look to bad from what I could see from the road. It was just sittin there with weeds growing up around it.

6. dusty

dusty

Kustom,
    I built one some time ago. Didn't use any plans. I had a trailer bed hangin around so I got some large cardboard and started laying out the profile I wanted. The only requirement I had was that the kitchen rolled to the back of the trailer to keep from leaning way in to cook, etc. I did the framework first out of some old fir I had laying around. 1 1/2" sq. I think. Then paneled the inside first, layed in foam insulation and glued to the paneling and framing, then glued on the exterior after wiring. To finish it off, I put strips on to give it the "woodie" look. Cant find any pics off the finished product but i will keep looking.
    Google teardrops. There are a million images out there you can pick ideas from.

Attached Files:

• td4.jpg
      td4.jpg
      File size:
      46.1 KB
      Views:
    • td3.jpg
      td3.jpg
      File size:
      45.2 KB
      Views:
  7. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

NICE,,,how did you bend that wood,,,steam?

8. brewsir

brewsir

I dig that moving kitchen idea....should make it easy on the back!

9. dusty

dusty

Here was the inspiration!

Attached Files:

10. dusty

dusty

The wood wasn't bent. It was cut from 12" pieces on the curve and glued to the next piece. I used the full size pattern to do the layout of the curves.
    The kitchen was held in place by bearclaw latches.

11. Bilko-1949

Bilko-1949
    1. GMB

I plan on building one in the future and here is the site I check out every so often! There seems to be allot of great people over there, and some really nice designs hope this helps you http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/

12. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Check GMC Bubba out...he's got a whole shop called Bubba's Garage and he makes a dandy trailer. He's awesome.

13. jaco

jaco

Here's one that I built 2 years ago. I wanted one I could haul my bike in and then setup to camp in. I didn't have any plans but went on the internet and looked around. Got different ideals and then built to suit what I needed. Materials cost around $4,000 to build including a 5'X10" trailor. You can build for less as I over built mine. I use it often and have a lot of fun with it. But be prepared, people will ask about it more often than my hot rod.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I believe it is Kuffel Creek that offers the best plans I've seen for a D.I.Y teardrop. You can Google them for their website.

I bought some plans off of Ebay. The guy is probabaly still selling them but they were fairly useless. The guy's ad claims you can build it for around $500 bucks in about a week. If you followed that guy's plans you'd end up with an unsafe disaster. My soon-to-be father-in-law is a proffesional cabinet and furniture maker. He has his own wood-shop and was helping us with the project. He said the plans wouldn't work out right built according to the directions. I would strongly avoid those plans.

Here is a picture of mine (in progress).
    [​IMG]

You should check out the Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers Forum. It will be VERY helpful to you.

Jay

15. GlenC

GlenC

16. etxhfeg

etxhfeg
    from Sweden

Some inspiration:

http://hem.bredband.net/heavy1/dreamliner/page_01.htm

This swedish guy, "Heavy", has used an old camping trailer and totally rebuilt it. Really nice work!

Note: the page is in swedish but the pictures is worth looking at!

I wish that I had the skill, time, knowledge etc to be able to build something like that...

[​IMG]

LeoH and Donut Dave like this.
  17. 49toad

49toad

Speedway Motors sells a set of plans. You can build this trailer- Tear Drop Trailer Plans. Item # 910-85117 Catalog#250

18. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I restored a orginal Kit Tear Drop in 1999 and have used it a ton every since. We have since then built 23 units and have copied the "Kit" tear as close as possible. We have every part to build a trailer and can provide the entire unit in pieces.
    OR we can just help you make your own with all the free/NC advise you would ever want.
    Our motto is " We want you to have a teardrop " !
    As far as plans i have a picture of any process you would ever need , just ask...
    Check out our site at www.bubbastrailerpark.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Glad to help in any way we can !!!

19. we have built several tear drop trailers , hauled them all around the good old U.S.A. behind our rods. going to start a new one on friday

johnny

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

wasnt junkyardog selling these?

21. Stickbilly

Stickbilly
    from Liberty,KS

How do they bend the plywood?

22. lorodz

lorodz

after my model A is done im going to attempt to build one...

23. 41 C28

41 C28

I did.
    Bend plywood by scoring and wetting it down.

Attached Files:

24. hotrod35

hotrod35
    from IL

I was going to start the teardrop project. I was told the guy on ebay with all the old pics, is a fraud. What you get will not get a teardrop completed. That's what a couple sites said. I did hear that Harbor Freight has a trailer frame that people are using as a base. And it comes with a title. Just my 2 cents.

25. This is an awesome site full of every idea possible!! Here is a pic of mine that is nearly completed. 4' wide 8' long, perfect for the 2 of us to crash in at the shows.

[​IMG]

26. Eight433

Eight433

slv63 likes this.
  27. built one year ago, to take to the rust revival.

craigslist 001 (2).jpg

craigslist 003 (2).jpg

johnny

slv63 likes this.
  28. mj40's

mj40's

Here is mine. It was a homemade from mid 30's. It even had a wood frame and the tong was also wood and a true 4"x4". All that changed with a new frame built to fit the body. The sleeping area is 6'2" long.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2010
    LeoH likes this.
  29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

If you guys are looking for another, cooler, approach then try here. These puppies are Canadian and not yet imported into the us. They are also about 14K - yikes! But I like their designs a lot. Gary

http://www.safaricondo.com/alto/indexeng.php?page=2

30. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

Built one back in late 90's based on the old Mechanix Illustrated plans and a local trailer I measured. Have a few pix of the build at http://Bobsplayce.net click left panel.
    We just sold it last fall for $4K since we rarely used it anymore.