Register now to get rid of these ads!

Reverse flow Pics??????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paintworks_unlimited, Apr 5, 2008.

1. paintworks_unlimited

paintworks_unlimited
    from Dover, NH

anyone running a reverse flow motor? i would love to do a nailhead that way. Post some pics!!!!

2. tr12

tr12

check out ol"skool rods coverage of the south dakota outkasts show from like last year... couldnt tell you the issue #/month but but there is a great pic of an old 29 rpu with no grille shell so it hasa great view of that rvs flow motor
    hope this helps out,
    Troy

3. LesterB

LesterB

I was at that show last year, and talked to the guy that owned it. It runs off of ethenol and has no moving parts on the front of the engine. its a wild critter. I thnk if you google rvs flow engines it will come up with more details.

4. paintworks_unlimited

paintworks_unlimited
    from Dover, NH

yea, this is what i'm talking about

Attached Files:

5. 'Mo

'Mo

6. 47bob

47bob

What is the advantage of a reverse flow engine?

7. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

Not sure on a SBC but on a flattie you have less inlets than you do exhausts. Since breathing is the main weakness of that engine you can reverse it and have 8 inlets. Especially good if you want to dump in lots of nitrous I'm told :D

8. On a SBC, the exhaust valves are much smaller than the intakes

9. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

On a flatty there are 6 exhaust ports, 8 intakes, reversing the ports allow you to have more exits than entrances.

Not sure of any gains naturally aspirated, but throw a belt driven parts breaker to the mix :D, getting air in is not the issue, getting it back out is.

10. Phil1934

Phil1934

flatfire

Attached Files:

11. cleverlever

cleverlever

12. Never2low

Never2low

OK, googled RFE and got mostly rocket engine stuff, no help. All I want to know is were the hell is the alternator? I maybe slow, but it's got to get juice from somewhere. I guessed is runs an electric waterpump, just wondering how and where. Someone school me please, it looks way to cool to not understand.:confused::cool:

13. cleverlever

cleverlever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wGf90fK-kQ&mode=user&search=

This is what it sounds like - you got to bump the volume a bit .

At the moment the car doesn't have a charging system.

We have it apart at the moment to upgrade our cooling system.

Might try to post some pictures or send them to you in email

14. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Drive it from the driveshaft:D works fine!

15. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8wGf90fK-kQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8wGf90fK-kQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

16. jonny o

jonny o

Not too sure on this particular car, but alternators do well driven from a driveshaft. Electric water pumps can pull water from a tank in the rear through the motor and back.

With all performance aspects pushed out the door, they are unique and cool.

17. piston8

piston8

its a cool concept, but from what i hear (with the exception of the flattie), you'll actually be taking a step backwards performance wise. i wouldnt ever do it, seems like a lot of work for a ton of show and no go.

18. cleverlever

cleverlever

On Performance

Now with the compression jacked up to accomedate the E85 and a smaller intake valve for better atomization and bringing the mixture in through the hot side of the head we actually increase the low speed power of the engine.

Heres my perspective - When was the last time you saw a E/T slip on the window of a Rod? Today its much more about visuals than performance.

Some cars are built for driving and some are built for shows. RVS FLO isn't for racing or indoor shows but at an out door show where you can start the engine? This is just awesome.

This car goes faster in First gear than those wheels were designed for.

So we aren't to proud to admit we did it just to blow peoples minds.

19. Ruiner

Ruiner

Another part of hot rodding is to just show that it can be done...like hairpins on a round tube front axle, physics tells you it shouldn't work, but it does and someone had to have been the one to try it out when everyone else said it couldn't be done...we're car guys, you tell us something is too outlandish and stupid and we take that was a challenge...

20. DrJ

DrJ

21. cleverlever

cleverlever

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we were building it many people including the vehicle owner had serious reservations as to if it would run. I mean we had a lot of modifications going on all at one time. Putting a modified Flathead V8 dist on a SBC timing cover, The motorcycle carbs converted to E85, My refusal to utilize a fuel pump ( Uses Gravity for fuel supply) designing the cam and using half a dist to run the oil pump, Dumping the harmonic balancer, coming up with a PCV using the old crossover passages etc etc

My standard response was that if it didn't run we could push it down to arts and crafts and it would still be cool.

I would say about 25% of the folks that walk up to the car do not believe it runs and a significan't amount of people want to argue with me that all I did was use a boat camshaft.

My favorite is looking at the distorted faces on the hard core guys that see it the first time. Its like looking at someone in pain.

22. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

I have to admit i was one of the 25&#37; when i 1st seen it too that didn't think it could run and to see it run was very cool.

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It'll run much worse, a Nailheads exhaust ports are even worse than the intakes... it is merely a novelty and there is no reason to do it except to get attention...

less power, more headache, everything must be custom built, and on and on....