Register now to get rid of these ads!

K.C.T.A....Kansas City Timing Assoc......The Ray Erickson collection (vintage pix)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sodbuster, Mar 29, 2008.

1. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Here are some of the pix that Ray has been sending me to resize and load on the HAMB for him. He has been posting some history of hotrods and customs in the Kansas City area that he worked on / built.......he has been posting in the "New to the HAMB area"......so I thought I would drag it over here to the main board and upload the pix.......I am sure that he will mention what the pictures are, I will try with the titles that he sent me.

Chris Nelson

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221590

First one: 1934 Ford Roadster in 1954'

2nd: KCTA Plaque and Cranktwister's plaque

3rd: Crosley tractor that was in the 1970 Grand National Roadster Show

4th: Motor shot........close up of the Crosley motor.

Attached Files:

2. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

1970 Roadster show trophy.......

1960 English Ford stock......

Same car after 5 inch chop..........

His packard dash.......

Attached Files:

3. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

1950 Ford Vent stock......Opps.......double.double.......see below.

Attached Files:

4. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Leading in the Chop......side note to Ray.....where was this shop located?

My (Ray's) 52'......

1950 Ford Vent stock......

1950 Ford Vent chopped.......

Attached Files:

5. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

No info on the photo of the Porsche.....

Attached Files:

6. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

I (Ray) worked the body and a few other things.......

Attached Files:

7. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

The "Lahoya" 1958......

The Lahoya #2.....

The Lahoya in a Car Craft, Sept. 1963.......

4 shots of the Lahoya......

Attached Files:

8. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

closeup of engine

9. Very cool! Thanks Ray and Chris

What are the details on that CRAZY lawntractor?

10. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

This was a "Sonny "Bill Morris's Model "A"---Cut down truck grille found in a field-- I saved it ,& put on the "A". -- ,Olds engine -6 carb's--4:44 rear gears- Steel original,glass fenders.- Vat "7" white primer finish. Engraved brass windshield post's

11. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

I bought this Porche For $500 bucks--Made a new front end out of four 48 Chevie fenders-radiused all four wheelwells & later painted it Blue Metalflake....

12. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

This a brass instrument cluster I engraved for another car, I still had it so I put in the 50 Packard

13. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

this car belongs to A Friend in our club the "MISFITS" -- I chopped it 3"s several years ago- It is a 1950 Ford 2 door.

14. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

The tractor has a "Crosley "4 cylinder ,single overhead cam engine a 5:13 ratio Crosley differential- A 2 to1 "reduction Gear box' between trans & rear end. A lot of chromed parts, scroll engraved instrument panel dashboard--Blue metalflake & gold leaf scallops--4 chromed exhaust pipes-no mufflers- I showed it one time at "I-70" Odessa speedway-- They had a country western show & Hank Snow & Little Jimmie Dickens were there & ran it back & forth in front of bleachers at intermission;-- It tached out at 8000 rpm--That figured out about 50 MPH. I of course took off the belt to the 54" mower deck- It was one of the "12 feature vehicles "in the 1970 Oakland "GRAND NATIONAL ROADSTER SHOW. =--With no mufflers it was loud as hell.

15. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

KC certainly has it's own style.
    Tractor = amazing.

Thanks for posting.

Cris

16. That thing is so cool. I could plow my 200 foot driveway at 50mph!

17. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

1952 Ford chop___________A buddy & I rented a 4 car garage [For a few $ a month] next door to my apartment--We could lock the garage ,but it damned near rained as hard inside garage as it did outside- That was OK!!---That was on Oak St. behind "Sydneys" Burger joint--It later became a hot weekend Cruising hangout--The neighbors allowed us to work in their backyard during the day if we wanted to..The buddy[Dick Boucher] was building a 32 -5 window coupe--3 1/2" chop,, channeled- full fendered- Fullhouse flathead.We bought "sears "torches & bottles the year before in 1955- Chop was done on my 52 Ford coupe in 56 While my wife & baby were gone to California with her family for a couple weeks. She didn't know about the chop till she came back.I did not cut windshield, I just laid it back under roof- --Looked pretty cool -That made a visored roof over glass. I had to fit windshield, doors -wing windows & all of that stuff to make it work- I had it all done when my "sweety pie 'came back- Didn't Have headliner Or color paint done yet.. Just primer. House was on 3100 block on OAK St.-Near "Eltorreon" skating rink ---a few blocks From Hallmark Cards.

18. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

Thats my Wife & I who are standing by The La Hoya

19. grim

grim

Awesome thread! Simply awesome.... Thanks for sharing guys

(I know you two have some great stories that you're hiding, you arn't fooling anybody - we can tell... :D)

20. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Cool stuff Ray! The Crosely tractor is wild! Lots of chrome, even the plow blade. I know you must have more pics. How 'bout Dick's 5 window, any pics of that? Keep that scanner going. Thanks Chris for posting them.

21. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

==========Dick never took any pictures--I look back, .we seldom did take pictures-- That was a Damn shame--Sure wish we had some of those pic's now-----For instance-- I put a -V/8 60 -in a Crosley Station wagon-- 39 ford trans,40 Ford 3 /78 rear end ---narrowed rear end to fit inside body,,raised wheel wells 6"---shortened torque tube & axles --2 crosley radiators ,one for each bank of cylinders-It would "fishtail "for half a block if you nailed it & didn't let up !!!!! That was a fun car!!!!NEVER TOOK ANY PIC'S-Damn!!------------Here is 2 pic's-- One is a sketch ,about how it looked---the other is just a pic I made up--it's the wrong year ,But the same body style except for front end--I never got around to taking any pictures of it!!!---I really wished I had that car now.

Attached Files:

22. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

Ray Erickson here-- I did a rundown on the porche, but is sitting separate from the pic's..I bought for it $500. bucks--Made a new front end from four 48 chevie fenders

Attached Files:

23. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

oooooooooooooooooooooooo

24. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

I engraved the dash on a sheet of brass I got out of our metal bin-- Engraved the scrolls & and Masked it off & etched the background down Below the scrolls , detailed it & buffed it-It originally said "LaHoya" In the top of panel--When I did the Packard dash I riveted another plate labeled PACKARD.over the LaHoya words.

Attached Files:

25. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

OOOOOOOOO

26. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

oooo

27. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

These are pic's of my Wife and me standing by the "LaHoya'--This was a [48 Mercury coupe] that had belonged to my wifes kid brother ,And He crashed into a telephone pole in a rainstorm & destroyed the riight front fender--A friend of mine named Ed Sherman gave me a pair of 41 Buick fenders that I used on" LaHoya"----I had loaned the "fullhouse' Flathead [from my 34]to my brother -in-law along with my trans--,--So after the wreck, he just gave me the wrecked Merc. I shortened frame and body 18 inches-- sectioned body 6"s-- Used my 50 Merc roof on it with about a 4 inch chop--When switching roof from another car you can't be sure of exact amount of the chop-- & channeled it 1 inch----Pancaked the hood-hardtopped the windows[no "B" pillar]---I traded it to a guy named -Gilbert Strange-He later sold it to some Doctor--never knew his name--Gilbert showed it at Municpal auditorium-& other places --

Attached Files:

28. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

29. Dragway42

Dragway42

Is there any chance that someone out their has photos (color always preferred) of the Triple Nickel 555 A/Altered 1929 roadster as Cox and Daniels ran it in black or as Paul Neff ran it later with the candy apple red paint scheme?

30. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

Attached Files: