Register now to get rid of these ads!

douchebag neighbors!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ttarver, Mar 24, 2008.

1. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

If you don't know, I have been building my first car (49 chev) over the last few months. I am always looking for parts and I found a decent parts car to help with my build. A deal was struck and I proceeded to drive my happy ass all the way to Louisiana to pick this pile up. My Easter is then spent wrestling this thing off the trailer cuz the front brakes were rediculously frozen. Anyway, we finally get her into the driveway and I am content to relax and plan my next steps..... OK here's where I get pissed. I come home from work today to find that BOTH my cars have junk car notices on theme stating that they must be gone in 10 days!!!!!!!!! I guess one of my frikkin neighbors didn't like the sight of me and my buddies draggin' that thing of the trailer and called the damn cops. All I know is this blows and I don't know what I am gonna do now.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Attached Files:

2. stick them in the garage, or rent a storage unit.

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Everything here has to be registered and parked on cement behind a 6 foot fence not seen.......not asking much are they........oh yeah....and if not, they will haul it away without a warning.

4. sammyg

sammyg

Car covers?
    Austin must be pretty lame. I keep my junk in the garage but there's weld and paint all over my driveway looking pretty bad. Luckily all my neighbors are impressed with what I've done and they don't care much. Good luck....

5. 52RustRocket

52RustRocket

Read #2 on that sticker...... Just go challenge it.

6. ardunpinto

ardunpinto
    from WACO tx

hell in waco all they gotta be is coverd with a tarp. that sucks. hell really piss them off paint your house hot pink

7. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

Thats funny, there is already a pink house and a purple house on my street!!

8. I will bet 95% of the guys on this board have been issued something similar. Hell, my "code compliance officer" is on my speed dial, I shit you not.

9. John Denich

John Denich

Too bad your not in SO-CAL!!!! the neighbourhoods with the pink and purple houses those cars would be the best on the block:D:D

10. this makes me glad i live in the country ..

11. gas pumper

gas pumper

Seriously, go talk to the code guy in your town, don't have an attitude. Ask nice how you can solve the problem. Here all we need to do is cover with a tarp or car cover and it no longer is a motor vehicle. And also here "public view" is big, if it's behind your house and can't be seen from the street, it's OK.

Be nice and don't argue.

Frank

12. ardunpinto

ardunpinto
    from WACO tx

gas pumper is right these guys think their hot shit allready

13. Bullshit, 95% of the guys here live in places that are not so anal. Vote early and vote often........your life depends on it.

14. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

So they say they are a "PUBLIC NUISANCE".....

Go around the 'Hood & take pics of EVERYTHING you consider a NUISANCE including the Nasty color houses, Peoples yards that are unkept, Loose Dogs, Gangs on the corner, Skate ramps, Kids on bikes on the sidewalk... ANYTHING that could be considered a nuisance and go to the Hearing...

If nothing else, it will buy you time.

I did it once & they guy they sent was real cool cus i didnt have a bunch of crap all over in view.. Just a car so he just let it slide.

15. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

looks like junk to me.

-Jason

16. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

My cars are the reason why I built a house outside of any city limits. Fuck neighbors.

Plus, if I did live in a neighborhood, the first motherfucker that woke me up at 7AM on a Sunday morning mowing ther lawn would have gotten their ass beat.

17. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Ok, educate yourself.

Here is the part of the Austin Code you need to understand and the Texas Code it is based on.

(3) INOPERABLE MOTOR VEHICLE means a motor vehicle that because of mechanical failure, breakdown, or disrepair cannot be started, driven, operated, steered, or stopped under its own power and without causing damage to the vehicle.
    (4) JUNKED VEHICLE has the meaning prescribed by Section 683.071 (Definition) of the Texas Transportation Code.
    Source: 1992 Code Section 10-3-1; Ord. 031023-13; Ord. 031211-11.
    § 9-1-2 PUBLIC NUISANCE; OFFENSE.

(A) Abandoned property, an abandoned motor vehicle, or a junked vehicle is a public nuisance.
    (B) An inoperable motor vehicle left on public property for more than 48 continuous hours is a public nuisance.
    (C) A person commits an offense if the person creates or maintains a public nuisance described by this section. Each day that the nuisance persists is a separate offense.
    (D) A culpable mental state is not required, and need not be proved, for an offense under this section.
    (E) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.
    Source: 1992 Code Section 10-3-2; Ord. 031023-13; Ord. 031211-11.
    § 9-1-3 ADOPTION OF STATE LAW; NUISANCE ABATEMENT.

(A) Chapter 683 (Abandoned Motor Vehicles) of the Texas Transportation Code, is adopted by reference.
    (B) The City may abate a nuisance, take custody of a vehicle, and dispose of a vehicle as provided in Chapter 683 (Abandoned Motor Vehicles) of the Texas Transportation Code.
    (C) The Municipal Court shall issue necessary orders to enforce procedures prescribed by this chapter or by Chapter 683 (Abandoned Motor Vehicles) of the Texas Transportation Code.
    Source: 1992 Code Section 10-3-3; Ord. 031023-13; Ord. 031211-11.

§ 9-1-8 NOTICE BEFORE IMPOUNDMENT OF AN ABANDONED MOTOR VEHICLE.

(A) Not later than 48 hours before impounding an abandoned motor vehicle under this chapter, a police officer or a civilian employee designated by the police chief shall securely affix a visible, dated, brightly colored notice to the vehicle. The police chief shall maintain a record of the date and time each notice is affixed.
    (B) Proof that the motor vehicle was not removed from the public or private property after the notice was attached to the vehicle is prima facie proof in any court that:
    (1) the vehicle was left unattended and abandoned for the period of time between the affixing of the notice and the impounding of the motor vehicle; and
    (2) the owner of the vehicle allowed the motor vehicle to remain at the place where the motor vehicle was impounded for the period of time between the affixing of the notice and the impounding of the motor vehicle.
    Source: 1992 Code Section 10-3-8; Ord. 031023-13; Ord. 031211-11.
    § 9-1-9 JUNKED VEHICLE.

(A) If a junked vehicle is located on property in violation of this chapter, the police chief shall mail by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested, a written order to the owner or the occupant of the property, or if the vehicle is located on a public right-of way, to the owner or occupant of the property adjacent to the right-of-way, that:
    (1) states the nature of the public nuisance;
    (2) orders the owner or occupant to remove and abate the vehicle no later than the 10th day after receipt of the notice;
    (3) describes the right to request a hearing; and
    (4) states the consequence of a failure to request a hearing as set forth in this section.
    (B) An owner or occupant who receives a notice under Subsection (A) may request a hearing to determine whether a vehicle is a junked vehicle. The owner or occupant must make the request to the municipal court clerk not later than the 10th day after the date the owner or occupant receives the notice. The request may be made in person or in writing, without the requirement of bond.
    (C) If an owner or occupant does not timely request a hearing under Subsection (B):
    (1) it is conclusively presumed that the vehicle is a junked vehicle; and
    (2) the police chief shall:
    (a) remove the vehicle; and
    (b) take possession of the vehicle.
    (D) In addition to the order mailed under Subsection (A), a police officer shall securely affix to the vehicle a visible, dated, brightly colored notice to the vehicle. The notice must be of a color other than the color used for a notice under Section 9-1-8 (Notice Before Impoundment of an Abandoned Vehicle). The notice shall state:
    (1) the information required in Subsection (A); and
    (2) the date the notice was affixed.
    (E) The notice described in Subsection (D) is not a condition or requirement precedent to any proceeding or official action to abate a public nuisance, and a proceeding or action is not void, voidable, or in any way affected by a failure to affix the notice. The time within which a hearing must be requested is controlled by the order under Subsection (A).
    Source: 1992 Code Section 10-3-9; Ord. 031023-13; Ord. 031211-11.
    § 9-1-10 HEARING ON JUNKED VEHICLE.

(A) If a hearing is requested under Section 9-1-9(B) (Junked Vehicle), the municipal court clerk shall notify the owner or occupant of a date and a time when the owner or occupant may appear before a municipal court judge for a hearing to determine whether a vehicle is a junked vehicle.
    (B) A municipal court judge shall determine by a preponderance of the evidence whether or not a vehicle is a junked motor vehicle. The hearing is civil in nature and shall be as summary as due process and orderly procedure allow.
    (C) On a finding that a vehicle is a junked vehicle, the judge shall order that:
    (1) the owner or occupant shall remove the vehicle and abate the nuisance no later than the 10th day; and
    (2) if the owner or occupant fails or refuses to abate or remove the vehicle as ordered, the police chief shall:
    (a) remove the vehicle; and
    (b) take possession of the vehicle.
    (D) The municipal court clerk shall deliver notice of a hearing set under this section to the police chief.
    Source: 1992 Code Section 10-3-10; Ord. 031023-13; Ord. 031211-11.
    Disclaimer:

§ 683.071[0]. DEFINITION. In this subchapter, "junked
    vehicle" means a vehicle that is self-propelled and:
    (1) does not have lawfully attached to it:
    (A) an unexpired license plate; and
    (B) a valid motor vehicle inspection
    certificate; and
    (2) is:
    (A) wrecked, dismantled or partially dismantled,
    or discarded; or
    (B) inoperable and has remained inoperable for
    more than:
    (i) 72 consecutive hours, if the vehicle is
    on public property; or
    (ii) 30 consecutive days, if the vehicle is
    on private property.

You have about a month on the new car, but not on the other. Figure out how to speak to these issues or you will lose. Ask for the hearing or quit complaining.
    I understand where you are coming from, but I am also a home owner. My junk is in a garage with a closed door. I expect the same of my neighbors. We also have a farm with visible projects sitting here and there. It's a long way from any neighbor and still not visible from the road. Be considerate of other property owners or you contribute to the black eye that rodding already has in society at large.

Sorry, just reality.

18. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Same thing happened to me. Car kept getting tagged saying it didn't run and wasn't being moved...even though it was. Called the city, they said the car had to be parked 150 yards away from the house for one day in order to comply. I told them that the idiot cops don't watch this part of town well enough for me to park it outta my sight for five minutes let alone ALL DAY! Car kept getting tagged, even though it was on private property. Finally called the "Transportation Sergeant" out to the house so she could see what was up. As soon as she got there she said, "You aren't the only person to have trouble. I know the cop who did this because he tags all of the old cars cause when they get towed he buys them...then SELLS THEM!!" She said no one else puts up a fight cause it isn't worth it to them. I asked what I could do. She said, "Nothing. Build a fence. He can't climb onto your property to tag something." So I did. Seven feet tall! Ugliest fence you've ever seen. Car hasn't been tagged since. Haven't seen a cop since either. I say check local laws and find someone "within" who sympathizes like I did. It's your best bet.

19. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

paint hippy flowers on it and say its your burning man car.....they'll understand.

20. I keep carcovers on mine,mostly so they aren't so visible from the main street. The only issue I have is the stain from when my oilpan had the leak. It's almost gone.

21. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

You could keep moving your cars. Bring it home and work on it until you get a notice. Take it to a rental storage place for a month and bring it back.
    I hate stupid shit like this but I also know what its like to run out of room.

22. Wow, here, let me scape that piss outta your wheaties for ya :D

23. stretch 1320

stretch 1320

Me too! :cool:

24. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

Thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully I will get this figured out and it won't be too huge of a pain in the ass.

25. I did this,I made a video of all the shit I thought was wrong and one of the cities high and mighty pricks was one of the guys that was getting up my ass. I let the mayor see the tape on a kind jesture as to warn this prick that I would show this tape at the meeting and put this dick weed in his place. I never had to show the tape and I did win.

26. 51 pickem up

51 pickem up
    from mosheim,tn

why not just get the parts off of it you need and get rid of the rest of it?
    END OF PROBLEM:cool:

27. Joe King

Joe King

Exactly !

28. I live at the head of a nice quiet culdesac - i was concerned that my cars would be a eye soar to most people in the hood, so every time i saw someone i'd ask if they minded my cars around and about 95% of people said "no, i actualy love seeing them, it reminds me of _____ and we like to watch what you do to them" a few stuck up old broads dont like the oil slicks - so i keep them parked in the same place so it hides its tracks :)

29. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

If you're really in a pinch you can register it. It will have valid tags on it, and if you insure it as a classic, insurance is cheap and it circumvents the inspection requirement. You will need to move the vehicle from time to time. If the car is put together appearing, the police cannot come onto your property to tag it, since the tags are valid and registration is current, and there would be no way to tell it doesn't run from the street. Then throw a car cover over it.

I got into hot water with the town over my 55 Olds which I wound up having to junk. My pickup I registered for almost a year, and it sat in my driveway with valid tags until I finished building the drivetrain and getting it running. You do what you have to do

30. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Luckily I get along with all my neighbors so they don't really care what I do. I've made them all friends over the years by fixing their cars, lawnmowers, kid's bikes etc. I'd start with going to your neighbors and finding out face to face if any of them have a problem with your constructive hobby that keeps you out of trouble. If they do, ask what you can do to make them happy and see if you can agree on a solution. Now, if you're a jerk-off that rips up the neighborhood when you drive or your buddies are loud asssholes who get drunk at your place and do burn-outs then you get what you got coming. If not do the only thing you can do, put a huge sign on the car that reads something like this:
    "this was a hobby of mine, building a custom car to have a way to use my spare time constructively. But someone thinks I shouldn't have it and keeps calling the city to complain that is an "eyesore". So I will have to sell it. I will now use my time to sell dope to your kids instead. Thanks."

Going to the town meetings and finding other people in town like yourself is also a good way to fight this kind of thing. Band together and try to change the ordinance to allow more time to have the parts car or something. Contact SEMA SAN and see if there's any info for your cause from them. And the other guys had good advice too. I tend to be a bit more direct and to the extreme but I have no problem telling my neighbors what kind of guy I am either. I told them long ago, I can be your friend or I can be your enemy. They all chose wisely I guess, their kids buy their dope from someone in huge house with a well manicured lawn and no junk in the yard.