Register now to get rid of these ads!

Big Olds Does the Detroit Autorama 2008

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodladycrusr, Mar 16, 2008.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

As you might remember the weekend prior to the Detroit Autorama was spent detailing the undercarriage of Big Olds with a group of friends in Ralfs56’s barn.

I also went to Ralfs56’s (Scott) place every night after work on Monday and Tuesday too to finish up the little details. Monday night once I got to his place I realized he did not go to work that day and spent the whole day working on Big Olds! WOW, what a friend. I owe him Big time! Monday and Tuesday were spent detailing the engine compartment and installing new chromed knobs on the dash and steering column. Not everything fit properly and neither of us could get the headlight switch knob off…..I think it’s rusted on with all the moisture over the years hitting it. I’ll get a new switch, cut off the old shaft, take out the old switch and instal a new one with the new matching knob. The new knobs match the existing window cranks perfectly. I was actually shocked to see how well they match.

On to Wednesday which was packed with phone calls, emails and PM from friends that saw Big Olds in both the Detroit News and the Detroit Auto Scene. Tried to button up things at work before my loooong weekend but my mind certainly wasn’t in it. Thankfully I have an understanding boss and was having a great month sales wise at work already so I was cut some slack.

The night before and Wednesday morning we got A LOT of snow here in the Metro Detroit area. The ride to work was slow but wasn’t too bad by 5pm when I headed to Scott’s. The plan was to call AAA for a flatbed transport the 35 miles to Cobo Hall. Because of the crappy weather, they told me it was going to be a 2 hour wait. Just shy of that a hook truck pulls up, Big Olds was not being towed down there on the end of a hook. I call AAA back, they said they told the tow company to send a flatbed but they start to give me a hard time about where he’s being towed to since it’s not a “repair facility”. Anyway we go round and round, they tell me it’s going to be another hour blah, blah, blah.

I then call “Davidstowingllc“, a new local HAMB guy who owns a towing business. He’s not available and neither is a flatbed but the dude that answers the phone says he’ll get ahold of Dave and try to get a truck and trailer then will call me back.

About 9pm I decide that this waiting around for AAA is bullshit and ask Scott for his snowmobile stuff which I start to put on. Just as I’m suited up a flatbed arrives and heads straight to the back barn. Scott follows him with his truck, I unsuit and followed in my daily driver.

Once back by the barn where Big Olds is the flatbed driver informs me that AAA has decided they will not tow Big Olds to Cobo and he leaves. No big deal at this point, my head was already fine with driving. Back up to the house, suit back up, back to Big Olds, start him up, let him warm up, then I take off.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was about 600 yards on ice to the main road but once there the roads were dry. A couple of miles later I was on the freeway doing almost 60 MPH and was toasty warm. I was so pissed at AAA that my blood was still boiling abit so I think that kept me warm.

This whole time I’m keeping in touch with Megan who had left Canton OH about the same time I left work yet she beat me to Cobo by over an hour. As I’m driving I can feel my phone vibrating in my pocket and assume it’s Dave’s towing but once the snowmobile coveralls and jacket are on I can’t get to my phone. He did try to call about half a dozen times and I’d just like to add at this point that I really appreciate everything his business did trying to get something worked out. I should have arranged the transport with you to begin with but oh well, live and learn right. Thanks again.

Got to downtown Detroit and because I was driving Big Olds I did not have to wait in the long trailer line, I was able to drive around them all and pull up to the ramp that goes in the back. Megan was waiting for me at the back overhead door. And took these photos. It was nice to have a warm welcome after that drive.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She hopped in Big Olds and we drove inside and over to the check-in table. I got my spot assignment and everything that goes along with it. I then drove Big Olds to his spot while Megan and Scott scoped out the path in front of me. HOLY SMOKES! What an awesome spot they assigned me! I was the third car back from the front and two isles over from the center entrance doors! AND my spot was open on two sides! How lucky is that!

We got to work on taping down the bamboo woven matt that I was using for ground cover. The little weavers didn’t weave it exactly perrfect so it took alittle time smoothing things out.
    [​IMG]

For those that haven’t been following extra closely, a month or so ago I asked the HAMB if anyone had any Feista spinners that I could borrow for the show. I promised they would go on at the show and taken off at the end of the show so as not to get damaged. NoName, AKA Old Car Glass Guy from OR was kind enough to send them to me and I can’t thank him enough. I know in my head that the wheel covering really made the difference in Big Olds’ stunning weekend look. My current hubcaps are very beaten up and it would have been a shame to have had to have used them. From the bottom of my heart, thanks for the caps sweetie!

So here’s Scott putting them on at the show very carefully with his hand, not a mallet.
    [​IMG]
    We ran outta tape and steam about 11:00pm….
    [​IMG]
    ..so after a quick stop to check out Dave Shuten’s Ice Truck which was one isle over from me…
    [​IMG]
    ….we decided to head to a BBQ joint by the old Tiger Stadium.
    [​IMG]
    By the time we walked into the place it was 11:30pm and they informed us the kitchen closed at 11:00. Not only were we starving but really bummed as well. Headed out back to the suburbs of Livonia, got a burger at the local neighbor bar, took Scott back to his place then headed back to my place and Megan and I called it a night.

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

On Thursday morning we slept in a bit then headed out to run a couple of errands on our way back to Cobo. We stopped at Home Depot for more double sided carpet tape.....
    [​IMG]

...then down the street to Murphys for a few more cleaning supplies.....
    [​IMG]

Low and behold, another day of Big Olds in the newspapers. Today it was the Livonia Observer and Detroit News.
    [​IMG]

Once back inside Cobo we walked by the Advanced Plating booth and Steve Tracy was there so we stopped to say hi and cop a hug and what do ya know he had a little gift for me and the display. A very cool little sign that said Avanced Plating on it with a beautiful oval shaped chrome plated holder. Absolutely stunning and looked wonderful on the floor of the display behind the front tire and right below the chromed fender spear. Thanks Steve!

Back at our spot we continued to put the display together. Lots of friends stopped by to help. My good pal Guy, AKA GZ here on the HAMB helped Megan finish up the floor covering
    [​IMG]

Robie AKA RB Roadster started wiping off the body.....I see another chicken dinner in your future sweetie
    [​IMG]

Some pals stopped to say "hi"
    BobK AKA The Traveling Gnome
    [​IMG]

ScaryLarry and Megan
    [​IMG]

George, one of the local Nightmares
    [​IMG]

The boys from Tulsa! Mr.Mac, and Pops. It was wonderful to see you guys and have the opportunity to hang out.
    [​IMG]

Frank, AKA Fab32 who brought me alittle present. Thanks so much Frank for making my day so special.
    [​IMG]

The boys from Montana, Chaz and AceGuy...or "Stable Steve" as Megan liked to call him. I'm so thrilled you guys were able to make it to the Detroit Autorama with the Finkosel and that we were all able to spend so much time together getting to know each other. Thanks so much guys for the autographed book. I have already read it and now am looking forward to visiting even more so I can check out the carousel in person.
    [​IMG]

Between visits from friends we all worked on Big Olds
    [​IMG]

By now it was almost 2pm so we decided to take a break and head downstairs for the HAMB's Meet & Greet. As soon as we stepped off the escalator the "Punk" was right there. Stopped and checked it out. Simply amazing. Congrats on the MANY awards Aaron, VERY well deserved.
    [​IMG]

Stopped and chatted with MercDeuce Man on the way
    [​IMG]

And said hi to Clark and Bob
    [​IMG]

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Since everyone was standing around this area we took a quick group shot....notice the HUGE bag of moon pies on the right? Thanks to RunAroundSue for bringing those.....very yummy for those of us that hadn't had breakie.
    [​IMG]

We all then walked over to the truck that held the Finkosel to get a look in person.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Near there was Roadstar's roadster with the new interior that him and his girlfriend did. Looked GREAT bud!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got to meet HotRod1940 after how many years "chatting" on the HAMB? It was wonderful to finally meet you in person sweetie! Glad you made it thru that snowstorm safely.
    [​IMG]

We then checked out the cool handmade trophies that the PoorBoys made
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

On the way back up we stopped back at Plowboys Punk again
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and were kinds goofing around...
    [​IMG]

...when Kevin AKA, DOC. walked up. Hugs, kisses and introductions all around then we decide to walk back to the Finkosel truck cuz I wanted to See Doc.'s expression when he saw in in person for the first time.
    [​IMG]

After hanging around abit Megan and I decide we'd better head back upstairs and finish detailing Big Olds. Ran into RunAroundSue who was detailing the ElTiki and it's display.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped and chatted with Dustin AKA VonDust and checked out his lace job. He was kind enough to explain the process he used in detail for us.
    [​IMG]

Looks GREAT!
    [​IMG]

Ran into Marcy, wonderful seeing you again sweetie, see ya in a couple of weeks.
    [​IMG]

While we're cleaning Big Olds, folks continue to stop by. This gentleman walks up and we start chatting and he has nothing but nice things to say about the car and me and Megan. He really got off on the fact that the two of us were detailing the car and talking hot rods to everyone. Never met him before but after quite a while of chatting it turns out he owns Gardner Westcott which is a local fastener company. I've actually never used them cuz a close pal works at another fastener place in town that I use. Anyway, as it turns out his company just made some fasteners with an Olds rocket logo on them. Might be neat to replace a few of my rusty ones with something alittle different. It's nice to meet new people who you know will turn out to be good friends in the future.

Megan showing our new friend Tim Messer her Chevy with the Rajo conversion.
    [​IMG]

More friends came over to help clean and detail. I bet Chaz doesn't do windows at home.
    [​IMG]

Dave Shuten "supervising"
    [​IMG]

MORE "supervisors".....FuelPump, and Ron and Mark AKA ChopOlds stop by.
    [​IMG]

Chaz and Moriarty meeting for the first time, both in ah of each others work. Wonderful seeing you again Mark and having the opportunity to chat. Hopefully see ya around this summer.
    [​IMG]

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

My buddy Gary Moore from Florida who brought a roadster up to show. Gary and I met at a GoodGuy event in Indy back in the mid 90's.....seems like just yesterday.
    [​IMG]

Ken AKA Slick50 checking out my new Fat Lucky interior
    [​IMG]

AceGuy getting every last piece of lint off Big Olds carpet....Thanks sweetie!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I might not care for his mag or website BUT I really, really like Alan Mayes the person and author. ALWAYS has a great hug for me. I forget his running buddy's name.
    [​IMG]

And after looking at it all day and showing people we decide to dig into the cookie. Thanks again Frank, everyone got a big kick outta it.
    [​IMG]

My pal Bill (DetroitDragon? on the HAMB I believe) stopped by with a gift of a t-shirt from TimeBombJohn. Unfortunantly, John couldn't stay at the event for the weekend, he had to work, so Bill was handling everything for him. Thanks so much for the T-shirt sweetie. I wear it with pride. Hopefully one of these days our paths actually do cross, not just our cars at the same show.

By now it about time that the boys are going to start setting up the Finkosel. They had to wait till 6pm to start because their location was kinda in a major intersection downstairs and cars were continuing to come in throughout the day. We head down there to watch the process.

Oh look, RunAroundSue STILL cleaning....that John is a slavedriver
    [​IMG]

The boys had the heavy stuff unloaded...
    [​IMG]

...and Kevin was checking out all the pieces
    [​IMG]

Everyone lended a hand in opening up and unloading boxes
    [​IMG]

We really got a chance to get up close and personal with each character
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AJ AKA F-Bomb and Megan
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chaz explaining to DOC how things go together.
    [​IMG]

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

The Montana crew also brought the ThunderPig for DOC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Busy bees
    [​IMG]

So the boys tell us it's going to be a couple of hours to set up so us girls decide we're going to head out with a few of the others for cocktails and gossiping while we wait to have dinner with them. Checked out CycleBilly's customers new ride on the way out. VERY nice.
    [​IMG]

We walked across the side street to Cobo Joes
    [​IMG]

Once inside we ran into LOTS of HAMB and RRT pals. Roby, RBRoadster sat down with Ken, OhioBlueTp and CharlieChops1940.
    [​IMG]

My future ex-husband, JohnnyLonghair sat down with some of the So-What crew
    [​IMG]

BobK with a few more So-What guys and friends
    [​IMG]

Us girls got our own table so we could talk about boys and hot rods, Me, AJ, Vicki and Megan
    [​IMG]

Next door is The Post
    [​IMG]

Once we got back inside Cobo we stopped by the Ice Truck to see if Dave was around
    [​IMG]

Then headed back downstairs to see if the guys had the Finkosel all put together, which they did.
    The expression on Kevin's face is priceless....like a little boy on Christmas morning
    [​IMG]

Mike, AKA Earl Schieb, then brought in the surfboard that he painted for me to match Big Olds AND the legal YOM plate that I run on Big Olds which he painted for me AND as a surprise he made me a HRLC license plate too! Thanks Mike! "You're so special". I'd also like to thank HulaZombie for sending the surfboard to Mike. Very much appreciated sweetie. It kinda felt like Christmas for me too!:D
    [​IMG]

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

By this time it's late and the guys are starving so we head back over to Cobo Joes for a late dinner.
    Left hand side of the table, MattHimSelf, BigChief, Slick50, DevilleGal, ChevyGirlRox.
    Right hand side, Mark55, DOC., Chaz and AceGuy, but you can't see him
    [​IMG]

Mike (not a HAMB guy), NotSoJollyRoger, Me and Earl Schieb
    [​IMG]

We head back to Cobo....and the guys stop at Big Olds to give him the once over.
    [​IMG]

Then this guy walks up to me and says, "You don't know me but I'm a friend of Johnnie Walkers". Well I know a GoodGuys rep named Johnny walker so after a few minutes of clearing up WHICH Johnnie Walker he is referring to, it turns out he's a friends of HAMBer 5WindowJohnny from Gunnison, CO who's place we stopped at and visited while on the Salt Cured HAMB Tour last August.

Anyway, this fellow in his Merc and two buddy's in their cars, one was that '60 green Caddy, all DROVE from ColoRODo to Detroit to do the Autorama. If anyone was paying attention to the weather last week, our area got a HUGE snowstorm last Tuesday, along with Friday night. These guys are RULERS! He was a great guy, I'm glad he stopped and introduced himself.
    [​IMG]

Just as we were about to take off these three guys walk up and introduce themselves......Larry, Moe and Curly.....I mean Bloodyknuckles, Sinticket and HotDamn.
    [​IMG]

It wasn't long before we were all yuckn' it up and fooling around with each other like we'd all known each other forever. BloodyKnuckles whipped out these black latex gloves what the guys use to detail the car with and gave them to me as a gift. I gave them tons of shit about detailing Dustin's car with gloves. Anyway, I put one on and one thing lead to another and this was the result. It's neat when you can meet someone, or a group of someone's, and personalitys and senses of humors click so easily. These guys truely helped to make the weekend a BALST and I'm so looking forward to seeing and hanging out again SOON.
    [​IMG]

Left to right
    Sinticket, ChevyGirlRox, HRLC, BloodyKnuckles, HotDamn, BigChief, Ralfs56, MattHimself, Chaz and AceGu. What a GREAT group of friends
    [​IMG]

We then headed over to Dustin's car to take a close look at it. For those that might remember it was built by one of Dustin's best friends, Sean, who past away just days after completing the car last month. Megan and I both had tears and our eyes when we read the story. These photos do not do the car justice, it's absolutely stunning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Headed home and had a pajama party at the house. It was actually very interesting sitting around and chatting with Chaz and Steve and getting to know them. For sure one of the many highlights of the weekend and again another group of guys that we immediantly clicked with.

The next morning we all got up, showered and headed to a local diner for breakfast before heading downtown to Cobo. Megan did not have pancakes, nor did she wear her now famous "pancake shirt" as some of the guys are now calling it. Anyway, we got down to the show, checked out a few cars, the Kopper Kart being one. WOW, what a treat for the eyes. Hats off to the whole build crew! GREAT job.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About noon a group of folks met by Big Olds and about 25 of us got into the least amount of cars as possible but made sure everyone had a ride down there. Of course all of us decided to ride the same elevator all at once to the parking roof.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Took a “long cut” of about one mile to show out of town folks Woodward Ave. We should have actually left sooner and did lunch on Woodward someplace. Next year for sure.
    [​IMG]

One we arrived at the GM Heritage Center this Vette greeted us in the lobby. If I remember correctly Roadstar’s shop did the resoration on it. Absolutely stunning
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then everyone gathered by the Furturliner's Parade of Progress display for a showing. It was the neatest thing. It was a moving and changing diorama of the changes the automobile brought to small town America.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Checked out a few more cars
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few pals offer to sneak these spinners out under their coats but no one had a screwdriver
    [​IMG]

I should have spent less time chatting and socializing and more time looking at the cars. I did not realize we had a time limit. These we’re all the photos I took this visit BUT if you’d like to see more, here’s the “story” of my adventure there last June.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191457&showall=1

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

We headed back to Cobo Hall with folks going in all different direction but plans were made to gather for dinner later. Megan and I headed over to the panel jam to pick up my show placard that one of the stripers hand lettered for me.
    [​IMG]

Checked out some of the offerings that would be going up for auction
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the two panels that Josh Shaw hand painted for the auction
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A group of us then hopped on the People Mover and headed to Fishbones in Greektown for dinner.
    DevilleGal, Slick50, Mark55 and ChevyGirlRox
    [​IMG]

Doc
    [​IMG]

We had a very yummy and relaxing dinner. It was nice to be able to sit, chat and enjoy each others company. After dinner we did alittle walking in Greektown and headed over to a pastry shop for desert.

Once got back to Cobo we hung out by Big Olds for awhile just relaxing and hooked up with a few other HAMB pals
    [​IMG]

NotSoJollyRoger, Earl Schieb and RBRoadster
    [​IMG]

Since it was after 11pm it was easy to get some shots of Big Olds.
    Me and Mike AKA Earl Schieb
    [​IMG]

Bob Leravee stopped by
    [​IMG]

And so did Eric from Streetrodder who asked us to move the tikis and bamboo if it wouldn’t be too much trouble....of course it wasn't:D
    [​IMG]

Since Roby is know for bringing and running for ice when needed, I call him IceMan once in a while so getting a shot of him by the Ice Truck just made sense.
    [​IMG]

A group of us then went back to my place to just hang out and unwind. We checked out the photos from the weekend so far and basicly just chatted and drank.
    Left to right
    Big Chief, RamblerMike, BlkTopBandit, ChevyGirlRox, Matthimself on floor, Flatman and Scott
    [​IMG]

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Saturday morning everyone pitched in and did some party prep. BlkTopBandit and Steve lifted and moved heavy stuff, Thanks guys! Megan made the jello shots
    [​IMG]

Big Chief made the HAMB Crack
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MattHimself was on stereo duty and jello shot runner,..... and here's a hint to party attendees......I am a lover of 70's classic rock and roll. If you want to hear something other then that at my place feel free to bring your own CD's. I am game to listen to what the majority wants while in party mode.
    [​IMG]

And of course spoon licker
    [​IMG]

Megan helped him out with that as well
    [​IMG]

We rolled into Cobo just in time for the 2pm Meet & Greet downstairs by the Finkosel. I swear there had to have been 100 folks coming and going in an hours time. HUGE turnout. Thanks to EVERYONE for attending. I hope folks mingled and got to know others that they might not have others had the chance to meet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beatnik, EyeCandy and Chaz with AceGuy grinning in the background
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once again the HAMB Meet & Greet brought an area of the Autorama Extreme to a complete standstill
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Special THANKS to Vance’s lovely wife Jen for supplying the Meet & Greet with a HUGE container of all different kinds of cookies. EVERYONE loved them!…except for Vance it looks like. Maybe he was upset we ate so many???:eek:
    [​IMG]

DavidsTowingLLC and his lovely wife. Very nice to finally meet you in person and I'm glad you two could make it to the party.
    [​IMG]

Mag38, KustomLincolnLady and RunAroundSue
    [​IMG]

73RoundLight (who needs to change his name to LightWeight:p), me and SlowandLow63. GREAT meeting both of you. Bummer, 73LightWeight couldn’t keep his eyes open long enough to enjoy the party, next time I hope you can make it.:D
    [​IMG]

57JoeFoMoPar (Squirel Masta), BeBop, Me and Shaggy. It was wonderful meeting each of you guys. Shaggy, you and the guys should be very proud of the Rambler. What a treat to be able to check out all the details in person. CONGRATS on the Ridler win. It doesn’t get any better then that.
    [​IMG]

Gnasty1, MattHimself and MercDeuceMan
    [​IMG]

VirgilHilts, me and Fast Ed, I’m glad you guys could make it to the party. It was fun hanging out with ya.
    [​IMG]

Mike, Mark, Mike and Roger
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

FlatMan, LittleMan and PlowBoy, LOTS of talent in this photo!
    [​IMG]

RumblerMike, Steve, BlkTopBandit and Spoons(glad you made it thru the snow in once piece too)
    [​IMG]

Me and Flipper, glad you made it thru the snowstorm safely bud. Nice seeing you again
    [​IMG]

FatHack outta hiding
    [​IMG]

The Vans me and Megan covent
    [​IMG]

KustomLincolnLady, RunAroundSue, F-Bomb, Me and ChevyGirlRox
    [​IMG]

Ron, Me and Chopolds.
    [​IMG]

Me and my future ex-husband, JohnnyLongHair
    [​IMG]

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

Fbomb, 38Pickup, and me…..Congrats on the award bud! You keep this up you’re going to have to build another garage just for all of them
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hotdamn!…and he sure was!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Megan and JohnnyLongHair
    [​IMG]

About this time Earl Schieb comes up to me and tells me there are a couple of guys by Big Olds that want to give me an award and they have been back to the car a number of time throughout the day so I head upstairs. Low and behold it’s a couple of gentlemen from the IndyHiWinders and they had picked my car out of all the ones there to give their annual pick to. I was extremely flattered and if they so happen to read this I’d like to publicly thank them from the bottom of my heart. Means A LOT to me that you chose Big Olds.

News Flash....I just got word via email that this innocent looking gentleman, Terry Engle, just got arrest for accosting a young woman in Detroit....funny stuff that floats behind the scenes.:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shortly thereafter the “Usual Suspects” stopped by. GREAT seeing all you guys again.
    [​IMG]

And RileyRacing, Me, MercMan1951 and little Micheal
    [​IMG]

Glad to see Grumpy made it as A LOT of folks in OHIO were unable to attend because of the HUGE snowstorm.
    [​IMG]

Megan and I then headed over to the Pinstripers auction area to see if I could obtain something that RoadApple wanted. No luck though, it had already sold. We did sit for abit and watched Slick50 get the can that Doc wanted.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

HUGE crowd in the stands where we were sitting and standing in the aisle
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Megan had Dave Shuten stripe a purse for her
    [​IMG]

The Fritz painted can that Doc wanted
    [​IMG]

Fritz and his lovely wife Carol watching from the stripers area
    [​IMG]

Ken had a poker face the whole time but pulled off the win for DOC.'s can. CONGRATS to all involved for making the auction so successful.
    [​IMG]

I then had plans to meet Von Rigg Fink and his family at Big Olds for alittle personal meet & greet.
    [​IMG]

His adorable daughter Cheyenne and I decided to take our shoes off and sit in Big Olds for abit and chat about hot rods and girl stuff.
    [​IMG]

We then got Megan and took a few photos in front of Big Olds. I’m so looking forward to the day when she’s got her own hot rod and is proudly showing it to the world. I so want to be there.
    [​IMG]

Now it’s about time to head back to my place and do a few final things before the HAMB Mingle starts. Myself, BigChief and Matthimself take off to my place and when I opened the side door I heard something in the living room and when I came around the corner from the kitchen there was a live squirrel freaking out in my living room jumping from chair to table to chair and throwing himself against the picture window. I yell to the guys to open the side door but before they could get back to it “Rocky” runs across my feet, past the guys standing in the kitchen and right downstairs into the basement where the guys gave chase. I proceeded to close all the bedroom and bathroom doors and open up all the doors to the outside. The guys spent almost two hours searching the basement for the critter to no avail.

In the meantime I start wiping off the squirrel blood that is all over the living room and kitchen floor. Seems he must have gotten hurt getting in. It was all over my picture window, a couple of chairs, an end table and a number of spots on the carpet. What a mess and 100 people were due in an hour or so.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I make a few phone calls and ask Scott AKA Ralfs56 to bring a live trap with him
    [​IMG]

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Mike AKA Big Chief and Matt finally come up outta the basement to join the party that’s starting.
    [​IMG]

Mike gets his HAMB Crack outta the oven for the waiting masses.
    [​IMG]

Line starts here
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fat Hack walks in with White Castles. I was SHOCKED on how many guys love those things. They didn’t last long. Good thing my buddy SledDog walked in with another box alittle while later. Thanks for bringing the goodies bud.
    [​IMG]

Me and HotRodGirl, great seeing ya again sweetie!
    [​IMG]

Jim, AKA Pops brought me a really nice gift of tiki mugs for my tiki lounge. Thank you so much sweetie! I love them and can’t wait to find the perfect spot for them in the bar area.
    [​IMG]

Everyone got a kick outta my license plate surround on my soffet and it didn’t take long for Mark55 to spot the one from Doc.
    [​IMG]

Didn’t take long for the jello shots to start making their rounds
    [​IMG]

With stops around the house so the passer-outters could do shots with the guests
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roger made the best jello shot table
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

The Tulsa guys. It was wonderful seeing ya all. I’m so glad you were able to come to the Mingle and hang out. Looking forward to us doing it again at the HAMB Drags if not sooner.
    Pops, Mr.Mac, Me, Ronnie Tarter (part of the HAMB Dragster team) and Jerry Bailey (who will probalby join the HAMB after all the fun he had last weekend!)
    [​IMG]

BTW, I DID NOT hang the newspaper on the fridge, someone brought it to the party and every time I tried to take it down folks ripped it outta my hands and hung it back up.:eek:
    [​IMG]

The boys from North Caroline and my girlfriend Holly who LOVES hot rod boys, despite what her husband says.:D
    [​IMG]

Dana, AKA Toymont. GREAT meeting you sweetie! I’m so glad you came to Detroit and hope to see you and party some more with you at B’ville in Aug.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NotSoJollyRoger, I’m so thrilled you came up with Mike to enjoy the weekend. You being here made it extra special for me. Thanks
    [​IMG]

The Indy posse. GREAT hanging out with you guys again and I'm really looking forward to a fun filled summer together.
    [​IMG]

DeVilleGal, Slick50 and me, Great seeing you guys and hanging out. Looking for to doing more of the same in a couple of weeks in Austin. I think I see more of you two throughtout the year then I do most of my local realitives.
    [​IMG]

PurplePickup, thanks for being there since day one for me & Big Olds sweetie. VERY much appreciated
    [​IMG]

OhioBlueTip, one of these days sweetie, one of these days
    [​IMG]

DavidsTowingllc, GREAT to meet you and your lovely wife. I glad you guys were able to attend the party and I’m looking forward to seeing you both around town this upcoming cruisen season
    [​IMG]

VirgilHilts and FastEd, glad you guys could make it to the party. Always a pleasure partying with you two.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me and Megan loving on HotDamn….again
    [​IMG]

RunAroundSue, Megan, Dustin AKA Sinticket and myself….yep, hairy chests are my downfall.
    [​IMG]

16. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I have no clue what was going on here, I just walked in on it and thought it’d make a “cute” photo.
    [​IMG]

Squiggly “entertaining” us and from what I understand he wrote it himself. R Rated
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the NightMares with SledDog playing bartender
    [​IMG]

Stable Steve AKA Aceguy, Me, Dana AKA Toymont, and Chuck AKA Chaz. Thanks so much guys for the autographed book, which I have already read and enjoyed AND for fixing the seatbelt in my daily. Very nice surprise. Oh yeah, the teddy bearS did not go unnoticed BUT I know a couple of younger viewers are reading this post so I'll just leave it at...thanks for the laugh when I saw them.:D
    [​IMG]

Chaz leaving us with alittle limrick, kinda R rated as well
    [​IMG]

Not sure who but someone decided HAMB Crack on a White Castle slider was the way to go:eek:
    [​IMG]

Checked out some of Delton’s artwork on his body
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Partys starting to wind down and we’re watching a few YouTube videos….
    [​IMG]

…when F-Bomb comes into the computer room and mentions that a few more guys just arrived. I look at the clock and notice it’s after three and walk into the kitchen where a few of the KopperKart guys just walked in. We’re hanging out chatting when I notice Megan put on a sweatshirt and mentions that she’s cold. I then realize the heat is not kicking on so I head downstairs to check it out. I pull the front off the furnace and notice that the pilot light is not lit. I head back upstairs and get one of those lighter things that I use to light candles and hand it to one of the guys to go light it as I got distracted doing something else.

A couple of seconds later the guys in the basement are hollering for me to come down and bring my camera. This is the site in the furnace:eek: Looks like Rockys hiding place is discovered.
    [​IMG]

He’s a HUGE sucker and not moving. I run upstairs to get a large beach towel or something and in the meantime Squiggy reaches up and grabs its tail to pull him out BUT that move sends him further up into the furnace. Squiggy comes upstairs and gets the towel from me and heads back downstairs. Now I’m not sure how many drunk guys are in the basement watching BUT one of them lights the pilot and when the themostat kicks in the furnace, the singed Rocky came flying out, ran around in the basement, went flying upstairs thru the kitchen where Lucky77 falls into the sink and Roby hit the ceiling BOTH screaming like little girls and one of them dropped their jello shot which Rocky spotted…..
    [​IMG]

…and stopped to do it
    [​IMG]

After which he flys downstairs again and the guys continue to chase him. F-Bomb starts to open the side door and I grab this large Corvette rug that’s in the kitchen and proceed to hold it up on the landing as s shield thinking it’s going to stop him from coming back into the kitchen and hopefully guide him out the side door….yeah right. :rolleyes: He come flying up the stairs again, up the rug, onto the kitchen floor and at lightening speed 57JoeFoMoPar stomps his foot down right on his tail WITHOUT even spilling his beer!

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Rocky is flapping back and forth across Joe foot trying to get loose, Squiggy comes running up the stairs, throws the towel over him, scoops him up and runs him outside.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everyone cheers! And BlkTopBandit lifts Joe up and starts carrying him around! More Jello shots and folks start toasting each other.
    [​IMG]

Squirrel Masta!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The blood on the floor wiped off easy…unlike the blood on the chair, ottoman and carpet
    [​IMG]

The party was in full swing for a couple more hours
    [​IMG]

ChopOld, Me, 57JoeFoMoPar, Megan and SlowandLow63
    [​IMG]

Party wound down alittle after 6am and those that were staying hit the sack and those that weren’t took off for their own places. I’d like to thank everyone for coming. I had a BLAST and have no clue how this one is going to be topped next year? Thankfully the guys in the basement didn’t have to sleep with a squirrel or the 30 degree temps the basement ended up at.

Sunday morning I was the first one up at noon and hit the shower. Once out I found Squiggy in the living room, the dude is hard core.
    [​IMG]

I also found this on my desk which squiggly had drawn for me. I was in total shock. I had no clue Squiggy was an artist. I plan on matting and framing it. I LOVE original Big Olds artwork.
    [​IMG]

Most of the guys from outta state headed for home except for earl Schieb who was going to drive the Finkosel to Sherevport for Doc so he hopped in Megan’s truck with us and we headed down to Cobo just in time for the 2pm Meet & Greet. We packed up a TON of leftover party food, including a whole fresh pan of HAMB Crack which I took out of the oven just as we were walking out the door. VonDust carried a table over to the Finkosel and LuckysGal and RunAroundSue brought goodies. A true HAMB fest!
    [​IMG]

VonDust
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lucky77 and LuckysGal, WONDERFUL seeing both of you again and partying together. Can't wait for more good times this summer!
    [​IMG]

BobK
    [​IMG]

RunAroundSue, CoupeDevil, LuckysGal, Me and Megan
    [​IMG]

Scott, AKA CarMarket, great meeting you and I’m very excited about the idea you and I came up with. We’ll talk soon.
    [​IMG]

18. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Headed back upstairs and checked out a few more cars….
    [​IMG]

On the way to Big Olds
    [​IMG]

Waiting for me there was a gentleman named Marvin who organizes a concourse event in Downtown Detroit in August. He invited Big Olds to attend and since I believe it is the weekend before I leave for Speed Week I think I'm going to do it.
    [​IMG]

348TriPower stopped to say hi, great seeing you again bud.
    [​IMG]

VERY good car friends of the family. Jim and Diane who are like second parents to me.
    [​IMG]

We then headed over to visit with Gene Winfield who was Builder of the Year
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And checked out some of the cars that were there that he built
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dark colored cars show up really crappy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The following three cars are the ones that the guys drove from ColoRODo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We then headed back downstairs to spend more time checking out the cars in the lower level with more detail.
    [​IMG]

Clark’s, car looked AWESOME bud. See you and the rest of the boys in May
    [​IMG]

Congrats to the Strange Days crew for the Pro's Pick award
    [​IMG]

DonMoyer’s, I really enjoyed hanging out and chatting over the fender with you and Dave. I'll see you both in June if not before.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

38Pickup, congrats on the pick sweetie, well deserved!
    [​IMG]

Josh Shaw’s, AKA CornGrower32
    [​IMG]

CoupeDevil, nice seeing you again sweetie. Hopefully at teh Jalopy Showdown we'll have more time to sit around and chat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guy, AKA GZ, who also drove his roadster to Cobo and home from Cobo
    [​IMG]

348TriPower
    [​IMG]

StinkyFinger and the 2005 HAMB Chop car
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BenD, nice seeing both you and Missy again. Lets do burgers and beers the next time you roll into town.
    [​IMG]

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Lucky77
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great music all weekend long
    [​IMG]

An old local car
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ScaryLarry’s
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ElTiki was so bitchen, my favorite at the show
    [​IMG]

22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks so much to John AKA MercDeuceMan for letting me sit in it. I was shocked on how much leg room was inside and am so looking forward to that ride you promised me this summer. Thanks! and congrats on the award!

We then went upstairs and checked out a few more cars. I saw more cars on Sunday afternoon then all the other days combined.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You don't have a chance at the Ridler when you completely cover the engine compartment
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ridler winner
    [​IMG]

23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Poteet's lastest
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We then headed over to the awards. It's a huge ballroom with lots of chairs and a couple of screens on each end of the stage where they show the winning car as the owner makes his way up to the stage to collect the trophy or plaque. They did something really neat this year, they told the story of the guys from ColoRODo and asked them to stand. The crowd went nuts with applause as they introduced the fellows. Well deserved recognition for sure.
    [​IMG]

My posse, thanks for being there for me, means ALOT.
    Scott, Megan and Mike
    [​IMG]

Dustin, AKA Sticket getting his award from Holly the trophy girl. as a matter of fact he was honored with two awards. Congrats bud!
    [​IMG]

The Kopper Kart crew also took home an award. Congrats guys, very well deserved
    [​IMG]

CharlieChops1940 took home two awards as well. Congrats sweetie, you should be very proud!
    [​IMG]

Big Olds took first in his class!
    [​IMG]

and I could not be prouder!
    [​IMG]

Me and Dustin
    [​IMG]

Checked out a few more cars on the way back to Big Olds after the awards
    [​IMG]

CharlieChops cool little roadster
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

So after the awards we head back to Big Olds and pose for a few photos with the trophy. Earl Schieb really is the one that deserves this. His bodywork and paint are second to none and the proof is when a car shows so well after 50,000 miles on the body and paint job!
    [​IMG]

Mike headed downstairs to help the StrangeDays crew pack up the Finkosel while we packed up Big Olds' display
    [​IMG]

After one load of display stuff out to the SUV, Megan headed for home and we headed downstairs to see if we could lend a hand with the Finkosel
    [​IMG]

Everything had it's special place
    [​IMG]

I wrapped up the Fritz painted can and buckled it into the front seat for the two day ride to Shreveport
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then started saying goodbye to the characters. The surfer dude is my favorite
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even a HAMB relay deck lid got stowed away
    [​IMG]

These dudes are lucky no one got hurt as they tried to load this truck and the board they were using for a ramp shot out from underneath the truck like a rocket.
    [​IMG]

Everyone did help to get it on the trailer
    [​IMG]

25. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Packed the truck up and sent Mike on his way. The Montana boys headed for the house, they were flying out in the morning. I suited up for the uneventful cruz home
    [​IMG]

and parked Big Olds in his garage which he hadn't seen since mid August. Boy it felt GREAT to have him home again where he belongs.
    [​IMG]

Once inside I found the perfect spot for the trophy for awhile.
    [​IMG]

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the many, many HAMB folks who have helped create Big Olds through the years and make him the cool car he is today.

How do you properly thank friends that have been there through thick and thin and worked their fingers to the bone on your car to make sure it's the best it possibly could be? The words thank you just don't seem enough.

I'll rememebr this weekend for the rest of my life. Thanks to all that made it so special! Now it's time to hit the highway!

xoxoxoxox

26. Dirty2

Dirty2

Very nice coverage ! Thanks for sharing .

27. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

?????????????????????
    Ok I get the place holder thing now, So I will use it to post the other side of this shot
    [​IMG]

It was great meeting everyone at the autorama, Probably the only time I will ever get to it , and I had a blast. Thanks Denise and Megan for a graet party. Sorry I did not get to stay for the Great Squirrel Roundup, But I had to get up at 5:30 to get to the airport.
    Great post Denise. I have been waiting a week to post this picture.

[​IMG]

28. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

awesome.
    Where in the heck was I? haha. I think i was drunk the whole time and wondering aimlessly.
    Your kitchen looks cool.

[​IMG]

29. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Wow Denise! Awesome coverage of the show and the extra-curricular festivities! It was great meeting you and everyone else and thanks again for inviting us into your home. We had a blast and I can't wait until the Autorama next year!

30. sololobo

sololobo

I wish I could have been there!! Big Olds looks so great, very cool folks who pitched in to make it happen. AAA should have an ass kicken!! I am not surprised about the squirrel, he heard a bunch of nuts were going to be at your house!! What a goofy, messy, crazy deal it turned out to be, nutty critter!! Thanks for sharing the great time-Sololobo--p.s. What a cool surfboard Mike!!