Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fabbin' a Slingshot intake on the cheap...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skipstitch, Aug 6, 2004.

1. skipstitch

skipstitch

I've always admired the guys who pioneered speed equiptment. The trial and error must have been rewarding and frustrating all at once. I've been wanting a slingshot style intake for my flathead for a long time and I never seem to have the scratch when one comes up...so... I'm lookin' through one of Don Montgomery's books the other night and the light bulb went off when I spotted an early Edelbrock... And here's what happened 8 hours later. Keep in mind I'm an upholstery guy and I'm sure I'll have to fiddle with the design to get it running right... But that's why it's a hobby!!! First up the supplies.
    -Two 94's... one off the flatmotor, the other a pencil holder with no guts
    -a piece of 1/4 inch plate steel
    -a U-bend of exhaust tubing

Attached Files:

2. skipstitch

skipstitch

then I made a cardboard pattern of the carb plate, marking center lines for the bolt holes etc... and transfered it to the 1/4" plate. And headed off to the band saw...

Attached Files:

3. skipstitch

skipstitch

Following that I patterned and cut the intake base plate in the same manner. Here it is test fit on the existing stock intake carb mount....

Attached Files:

4. skipstitch

skipstitch

After that I test fit for the down tubes... I kept them only 3.5 inches tall so the carbs wouldn't be over my windshield. It also helped in keeping the carbs close together which is the look I am after...

Attached Files:

5. skipstitch

skipstitch

Here the down tubes are tack welded to the intake plate and I'm test fitting the carb plate for center/level before welding.

Attached Files:

6. skipstitch

skipstitch

Heres the top of the carb plate with the holes cut above the down tubes.... They are small in this pick, but I didn't have a holesaw the correct size...so I'm gonna open 'em up with a die grinder to get them the same diameter as the tubes....

Attached Files:

7. skipstitch

skipstitch

The view from the front sittin on the motor... notice how the down tubes stagger to clear one another... figuring that was a bit tricky....

Attached Files:

8. skipstitch

skipstitch

The money shot [​IMG] The look is just what I was after. All that's left now it final welding and tapping of the top plate to bolt the carbs. The rear carb will supply one side of the stock intake and the front the other.... The best part, it cost about 8 bucks and I can tweak it to make it work....Stitch

Attached Files:

9. Well that just shot my collection of E-Bay stuff down the tubes.

Looks doable friend. Now if we could just figure out how to cast it we'd be rich. [​IMG]

10. NorwegianV8

NorwegianV8
    from Sem City

Looks real good [​IMG]

11. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Cool... great idea [​IMG]

12. hankcash

hankcash

WOW!
    looks like Tech week has finally kicked in!!
    HC

13. You want to make me one???

14. Very, very cool. But I can't tell from your photos. How hard is it going to be to tighten the stud that goes through this hole? Looks like the stud will endup inside the down-tube, or are my eyes just fooling me?

Thanks,

Mike

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

brilliant post...

16. JSM56

JSM56

17. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

great stuff!

18. That RULES....

19. slammed

slammed

Can you imagine what this guy could produce if he were to hang/work at one of the 'pro's' shop's for a month or two in fabrication? Dude, you are good.

20. Dirty2

Dirty2

Tooo cool put 2 of these on on a 2 pot intake great!!!

21. skipstitch

skipstitch

Hey Guys...thanks... And Von Mike, I guess in my haste to get all the pics downloaded I failed to mention that. Good eye you have there. You're right, you tighten that bolt inside the tube (I left Plenty of room for the nut and lock washer) and then you bolt the rear carb in place. I won't be shy usin' locktight on that one!!!

I'm thinkin' about havin' a buddy of mine powder coat the thing when I'm finished so I don't have to worry about surface rust inside the tubes... Stitch

22. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

how about another shot from a different angle to give a better view of the lower plateform. Great job....

23. slammed

slammed

Know anyone with scrap Stainless? Polished up it would be dazzling. Well done.

24. Man, that is unreal! As good as you are with upholstery...you just may have missed your true calling! [​IMG]

25. Stitch, that is some fine fabricatin' there.

I wonder if you could incorporate some kind of screen in a gasket when you mount it to make sure you don't lose any hardware in the motor. You might use a self locking nut too so you don't have to keep track of the washer? Great job.
    Dan

26. My hat is off to you, that is freakin cool, very nice job.

Greg

27. Killer

Killer

Nice.

Here's a mock up of one of mine.

[​IMG]

28. bttt...this should be on the first page!

29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

...Excellant......... [​IMG]

30. Nice job!!....I would re-surface both top and bottom mounting surfaces though, heat tends to warp it.