Register now to get rid of these ads!

model A quickchange rears question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sweats, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Sweats

Sweats

Hey guys is Kiwi Quickchange the only company that makes a quicky for an "A" rear? I could not find a web site for them and for some reason the search function on here does not reconize the letter A by itself...or maybe its me....but ANY info on a A rear would be greatly appriciated, pro or con. Thanks!
    -Eric

2. Darwin

Darwin

I think Kiwi may make the only Model A specific unit however the folks over on the Ahooga.com board will be best equipped to answer questions about it. Kiwi may not have a website but they do usually have an ad in the Restorer mag.

3. helmsville

helmsville

i put a Jones Qchange in mine, i think you can put any of them in with a little work. Chris

Attached Files:

4. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

I think he wants to use a stock model A banjo rear converted to a quickie.... Jason

5. helmsville

helmsville

i see now what you mean i have a Columbia axle in this car, with a manual shift to put it in Columbia, i have a freind that's thinking about selling his Columbia, they work awsum. Chris

Attached Files:

6. not to derail the thread but you have one slick sport coupe.

7. Sweats

Sweats

Thanks guys, yes I am wanting to use the stock A rear I'll slide over to Ahooga and see if anything happens

8. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

9. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I haven't looked into it very much, but I am under the impression that the winters midget rearends are able to use model A components with some machine work. Anyone have more info on this one??

BTW are you aware that the model A rear is much weaker than the later rears?? if you are going to put the money into converting to a quickchange you may want to consider the stronger rear.

10. Darwin

Darwin

It's true that the A rear axle is not as strong as the later V8 versions but it's plenty strong enough for almost any concievable early 4-banger application. Hot Rod Works makes some fine looking stuff but unless I'm dead wrong it's all meant for later V8 axle components. Kiwi may still be the only ones making new Model A specific QC centersections. From what I've read on the Model A board they work well but are a fair amount of work to install. They do however leave the rest of the stock drivetrain intact which no other available option will do--at least in terms of new gear. What may be doable in a machine shop is of course something else altogether.

11. robster

robster

Kiwi is Derek Thomason based in Nelson, New Zealand.
    Phone number is 64 - 3 - 544 7826.
    Email is [email protected]

12. I am using a Halibrand 101H QC. It is based off the A axle, uses the A axles tubes, and carrier. The 101H was built for early sprint/midget cars, it utilizes an in and out shifter. I called Heilandracing.com and replaced the jack shaft with a one piece unit. Keep looking they are out there.

13. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

I've got a Kiwi unit under my A sport coupe. It did require some machine work but if you've got someone on hand that knows their way round early Ford rear ends it's a great piece of kit. I'm running a fairly hot banger and I haven't managed to break it yet!

14. turdytoo

turdytoo

I am under the impression that Halibrand made quickchanges for midgets based on the model A rear end as well as making one based on the V-8 rear end and still another for the Ford 3/4 ton rear end (championship series).

15. filthy frank

filthy frank

i had richard from hallibrand make me up a v8 quickchange with a 31 spline posi ,and i made my own axels,summers bros, with my adapter plates, not hotrod works,and mine are set up for buick finned drums and works just fine.a model a is too weak,unless your going to drive normal.ive seen too many of the model a ones break at the pinion area.filthy frank.

16. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I have a Midget rear for my Model A...I'm in the middle of converting to a open drive..

17. I have both, an original Halibrand under my Lakes modified and a Kiwi under my 29 RPU. The one in my lakes modified is what was known as a "Sprint", it uses the same pick off gears as a V8, The Kiwi patterns are for a "Midget" it uses a 1" pick off gear and has a slider box housing cast on the right hand side. These rear ends require the shortening and resplining of the drive shaft as it uses a 6 spline coupler. On my Halibrand we split the wishbones so I can't say for sure about the radius rods but on the Kiwi you swap the radius rods side to side and use the stock torque tube. Check this link out. As far a strength, if you add a snubber the "A" rear end will take a lot of abuse. I lap the drums to the axles and torque to 200 ib. works for me
    http://rides.webshots.com/album/558753715MIMBRF

18. Sweats

Sweats

Thank you thats a lot of good info, gonna have to start narrowing down my choice. Thanks!

19. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

There's a build-up of the Kiwi that I fitted in the tech section...

20. A few months back a NOS model "A" Halibrand sold for better than $6,000 on ebay

21. dragsterboy

dragsterboy

For what it's worth.I used a Wilson Welding fabricated quick change in my roadster.It's basically a bolt in on the 40 rear end that I'm using.He said he could make it with open or closed drive.I can't tell you how well it works,I haven't driven it yet but it looks like it's very well built.
    Shane

Attached Files: