Register now to get rid of these ads!

Respline/shorten axles or replace?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55chieftain, Mar 8, 2008.

1. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Hi guys, i'm debating weather to shorten my 9" 31 spline factory axles. I had a truck housing I had narrowed down for a 58" total wide rear end with the axles in.

It's going to be cheaper for me to send them off to Moser- $110 for the pair plus shipping $40-50, new of course 315 pr I think plus shipping . The local guy I used said he had to soften them up to machine tham and than reharden them, almost twice the price as Moser(250). He said Moser had better cutting equipment than he did, I contacted Moser and they said they didn't have to soften them to machine them or even reharden the splines when they were done.

For a mostly street driven car with an automatic are my chances ok these will last ? What are your guy's experiance with shorted factory axles , keep in mind my car will weigh 3600lb? when i'm all done.
    Thanks advance for the reply

2. Wesley

Wesley

I have never had any luck with shortened, resplined axles. I would go with new axles. I have used Moser, Strange, and Mark Williams axles and never had a failure. Keep in mind, I beat the crap out of everything I drive.

3. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

get the new moser shafts !!!! not much more money ...and your getting a better shaft, not just an old cast one thats been resplined

4. Gearhd69

Gearhd69

I had a set of Ford 9" axles shortened and resplined had to change an axle seal pulled it out and found out it was twisted. It had a mild 350 Chevy in a full size truck. I think you would be better off spending the money for a set of Mosers.

5. rstanberry

rstanberry
    from terrell tx

Got a 9" with centered pinion , one side shortened appox. 4" with a resplined factory axel. Got me worried now!

6. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

It is NOT absolutely necessary to anneal them to machine them, but you WILL need a GOOD cutter - carbide will work. You'll have to take light cuts. Also if you have to shorten them a BUNCH you get further away from the factory heat treat - it's better IMHO to only shorten them a couple inches (if you can) - going more than that may require re-heat treat.

BTW - 9" ford axles shafts are not cast.

7. I sent a set of 31 spline axles to Moser to be cut and resplined. It turned out one could be resplined and one could not because they could not respline in the "hardened area." I had to buy one custom axle. In the end, with shipping my old axles and buying a new one I saved about $50 and I still have one used axle. It would have been better to order new axles. Moser has a package deal on studs, retainers, and bearings that you can not beat anywhere. Even if they respline your axles you will need new bearings so factor that in as well.

8. Fast Fords

Fast Fords
    from MN

Play it safe and get the new Mosers. You MIGHT get away with getting the old ones resplined, but if they fail then you have to buy the new axles anyhow.

9. krooser

krooser

I've used shortened stock axles on dirt stock cars several times without any breakage problems...

10. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

I send mine to dutchman there a little more reasonable had real good luck .Broke one from Johns industries and twisted the hell out of the other but was pretty damn hard on em .Ben in good shape with dutchman

11. hemi35

hemi35
    from Australia

Do yourself a real favour and buy the moser axles, you will NEVER be sorry.