Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech - Low Buck Window Regulators

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Canuck, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Canuck

Canuck

Looking for a cheap reliable window regulator mechanism to replace the worn out and damaged units in my Model A, I came across a 85 Jeep Cherokee that looked like they could be modified easily. The units were removed from the rear doors, as they would get less use than the front doors. If you are going to try this make sure that you get the special nuts and tension washers that hold the lower link to the Jeep windows, you will need them before you are finished. (see Fig 7)

[​IMG]Fig 1: The 1985 Jeep Cherokee window regulator[​IMG]Fig 2: The original regulator laid on the Model A door for comparison

[​IMG]Since the handle mount was too low to fit the Model A doors, the first step was relocating it up 5 ½”. Drill out the four rivets with a 21/64 drill to open up the regulator. This positions the handle within approximately 1 ¾” of the original.

Fig 3: Regulator removed

<O:p
    Next VERY CAREFULLY straightened the track between the two mounting brackets and opened up the loop at the top a little. Do this with the flexible track still in the channel using care not to kink or collapse the track.

The bottom Window travel stop on the assembly is just a crimped section of the track, Open this up and remove the flexible shaft.[​IMG]Fig 4: End Stop

Continued in post "B"

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. Canuck

Canuck

I my case I wanted to move the handle up 5 ½&#8221;, so I duplicated the original notch in the track 5 ½&#8221; closer to the top of the loop. [​IMG]Fig 5 New notch in track
    Then relocated the regulator mechanism over the new notch and welded the rivet holes to join the two halves together. I also put a couple of spots of braze to hold the mechanism from moving on the track. The two original mounting brackets were trimmed and bent closer to the track and the flexible shaft re-installed.[​IMG]Fig 6: Old versis modified mechanism
    The next step is drilling the door for the two mounting brackets and two holes for the regulator handle mount and one for the handle shaft (1&#8221;). In my case I also had to bend a clearance notch for the shaft tube into the door frame. Shim the regulator assembly if required.[​IMG]Fig 7: Mounted in door
    The last step is sourcing a piece of window mounting channel from your scrap pile or friendly local Auto Glass store. Make a bracket to weld to the channel with a hole for the metric bolt that goes into the special nuts on the connecting link. [​IMG][​IMG]Fig 8 <O:p
    A couple of pieces of glass setting tape from your Auto Glass store and install the channel on the bottom of your window then bolt it to the connecting link and you are almost done. Replicate the crimped bottom stop in the channel that was opened up in Fig 4, where required by your particular installation.
    For a handle, look for pre &#8211; 48 GM handles, they are the same spline size. The shaft of the regulator may require a bit of finessing to fit the pre 48 GM handles. the spline on the shaft is a little longer. A bit of a touch with a grinder should take care of it in a coupel of minutes.
    Well on to the next project ---- Bear Claw latches and associated linkage for inside and outside handles.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  3. LDGn63

LDGn63

dude, you rock.

4. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I've been contemplating using a set of Jeep window regulators to put power windows in my Dubble A... someday down the road.

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

nice simple solution

6. I love it! Simple and it works. What are you snatching your latches out of. '80's VW's have an awesome, compact, strong and dead simple latch. Rock On!!

zzford likes this.
  7. Canuck

Canuck

Had a request to fix the links in this posting. Hope they are OK now.

Canuck

8. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

very cool,going to pull regs from an old IHC to take car of the reg/handle issues with the stude.

9. -Brent-

-Brent-

@Canuck did you save any of the pics from your old threads?

Your old posts are really helpful. Unfortunately, the pics are gone.

10. samurai mike

samurai mike

I would like to see also!

11. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I'd be interested too.

12. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

A picture of the Jeep regulator would be helpful.

13. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Stogy likes this.
  14. samurai mike

samurai mike

thanks for the update

15. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I actually found the new thread doing a Google search for a Jeep Cherokee regulator, and there was a link to the HAMB. Amazing!

16. Canuck

Canuck

Ok, Ok Guys. The pictures disappeared in the great Photoshot smooze. Watch for this posting to re-appear, hopefully in a few days. Just trying to learn how to use Imjur and load the pictures in it and then repost them.

I'll try for around the 22nd or there about.

-Brent- likes this.
  17. Canuck

Canuck

Fordcragar, Thanks for finding that, I forgot all about it.