Register now to get rid of these ads!

Volvo builds a hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Foul, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Foul

Foul

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think it's one of the better contemporary cars built in the last decade. Great ideas there... The most impressive shot is of this car sitting next to the stocker...

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

4. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

i actually like the looks of it! it has a comforting moderness to it...

5. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Those tires are insane.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, I'm not much for the wheels and tires... but they are very relevant to Volvo and to where the car comes from.

I love the a-pillars in relation to the stocker... and the luggage between the frame horns rules.

The only part of the car that I really don't like are all of the engine covers. I don't understand their need or function. A proper hot rodder understands the beauty behind the mechanical and would never cover it.

7. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

not big on the wheels....they just look out of place IMO

8. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

i think they were shooting for a "sporty" "retro" hotrod... todays ideas of that is fancy engine covers and several spoke rims... i do like the tread pattern on those tires tho...
    i still like it tho!

9. If you guys notice, read further into the article and take a look at the Chrysler. If this ever went up for sale I would be one of the first in line

Attached Files:

10. Il Duce

Il Duce
    from Sweden

11. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

That is true, but when it is powered by a volvo engine it is better to cover it up :)

12. nexxussian

nexxussian

I dunno about covering the engine, pops used to race a Volvo, with an Isky Grind and twin carbs.

13. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I think it's sharp. Just change those wheels/tires for something a little less AWD looking, and hit the road!
    Is that a leatherized Moon tank in front? I like that luggage deal too.
    The trim from the windshield posts down is a clever design as well.
    Wouldn't mind seeing more O' the dashboard though. Yeah, and lose those engine covers. The hood is an engine cover in itself.

14. banjorear

banjorear

Funny, that was a problem with those earlier work horse Volvo's was that the shrouded the lower part of those 4 cly. so much they'd overheat.

You would think that if they did a hot rod, they want to open it up.

Could it be that they used one their turbo'd 4 cly. in that thing and the are hiding the spool and other turbo stuff?

15. 41woodie

41woodie

Nice car, really makes my old Volvo powered T look bad.

[​IMG]

16. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Pardon me while I go home and chop up my car. I need to start over... :(

17. nexxussian

nexxussian

Hmm, now that you mention it that does look like a 'hot pipe' headed for the TB.

18. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Uh, I guess I need some re-education, but I'm not liking it too much at first glance and the wheels are just the start. I am just not big on new cars looking old. I think old cars should actually look old and new ones should look new. Actual old cars now didn't look old when they were new, they looked new.

19. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

i gotta say i really like that thing. aside from the wheels and tires, they got the stance and feel right on. the way they retained the same look as the stock windshield really sets it off. i just wish they'd actually put things like that into production...volvo engine and all, if that were available for sale i'd think about possibly reconsidering my vow never to buy a new* car. :p

*refers to cars built after 1974 ;)

20. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

IT'S A CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU!!!! all of the car manufacturers are building "hot rods" that are eco friendly so that they can eliminate all old cars from the road and make us buy those instead. It sounds realistic doesn't it??

I would love to buy one of these real looking hot rod wanna be's to use as a daily driver they are much better looking than the prowler was, it would be nice if they came out with a sedan style car so I could actually use it as a daily for the wife and kids.

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I can't believe how much in LOVE I am with this one:eek:

[​IMG]

22. BarryA

BarryA

Carbon fibre chassis.......:) Didn't think I'd read about that on the HAMB!!!;)

I kind of like it, certainly does more for me than some of the attempts at "retro"...........

Barry

23. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Ok, second look, the Chrysler and GM ones are not bad and have some pretty cool details and I think the whole designs have a good feel and stance. Modern enough, but not cheesy. That Chrysler one is so much better than the Prowler, it is ridiculous to think "Prowler" other than they both came from Chrysler. The Volvo one looks much more Prowler to me actually. The new "392" don't impress me too much in the looks department. I'll still take my old 392 over a new any day. However, the GM motor looks pretty cool to me and pretty traditional in modern kind of way. I still think the Volvo/Ford one is not doing it for me at all. It seems a bit too much toy-ish. Not that I am any kind of expert by any means.

24. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

One last comment to contradict myself some, I have to admit, that new Volvo convertible next to the Volvo roadster it by far the ugliest of them all, hands down. I am sure that is not what they intended with that marketing shot. But the new Volvo sure makes the roadster look its best even though I am still not really digg'n it either. The Chrysler and GM ones I still think are far better.

25. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

I really like how they did the door releases on the tops of the doors. That's cool.

I'm usually not one for LED taillights, but I like how the sunk them into the rear end housing.

Vance

26. banjorear

banjorear

Who did this one, Chrysler?

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I REALLY like this car! I think it's done in very good taste. +1 on wheel selection. I think they could have come up with something a little more impressive, but they do match Volvos typical style choices.

[​IMG]

Anyone have any details on the rear suspension? Pictures, facts/specs? Hard to see what's going on in this picture because of that awesome gloss black paint.

28. nexxussian

nexxussian

Scootermcrad, there appears to be a trailing arm if you look between the body and the rear tire in th top pic you posted. Just inboard of the outer 'bell' on the right axle looks to be an attach for it, or maybe that's a reflection.:confused::D

Damn, that's better paint on the axle than on anything I currently own.:eek::D

29. I think it looks pretty good. In fact I really like the grill shell. Very classy, though I don't think much of the HUGE logo stuck on it. I agree with Ryan that the luggage looks great there.

I don't see any pics of the engine compartment, where are you all looking? But to one of the above posts the T5 I think has a Turbo kit for it so it isn't inconceivable that they are covering it up.

Here are the specs though....

Chassis: Carbon-fibre chassis. Steel subframe to carry the engine.

Front suspension: Live front axle with built-in steering gear. Concealed control arms, spring struts featuring coil-over gas dampers.

Rear springs: Wishbone. Internally fitted, concealed control arms and spring struts with coil-over gas dampers.

Body: Hand-beaten aluminium body.

Colour: Similar to Volvo Jakob Blue. The exact name and colour code of the original have been lost over the years.

Interior: Hand-sewn light brown smooth and perforated hide. Foam padding. Classic vertical piping in the backrest.

Engine: Volvo T5, five-cylinder petrol engine with light-pressure turbocharger, installed longitudinally. Flexifuel conversion so it can run on both petrol and ethanol. Power output: 265 horsepower. Torque: 370 Nm. Max output: 185 kW.

Gearbox: 5-speed manual M90 gearbox (Volvo 960).

Brakes: Specially manufactured brake discs fitted to the wheel rims. Diameter: 450 mm front, 515 mm rear. Twin four-pot callipers per disc.

Front wheels: 10x22" AEZ Forge rims.

Rear wheels: 8x19" AEZ Forge rims.

Front tyres: Pirelli Scorpion special 225/55/19.

Rear tyres: Pirelli Scorpion special 295/40/22.

Exhaust system: Concealed installation of 3" stainless full-flow exhaust system with racing catalytic converter.

— MRAK

30. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

What?!? A Volvo with no cup holders?!?!?!?

That's not safe!