Register now to get rid of these ads!

my homemade english wheel /ot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crapshoot, Feb 17, 2008.

1. crapshoot

crapshoot

This might be a little OT
    just thought I would share some pictures with you guys of my soon to be new 40 inch English wheel, Its all made up of 1/2 flat, should weigh pretty heavy around 800lbs by the time I get the wheels mounted and the stand built. Man I can't wait to get my fingers crushed under the 7inch top wheel.hahahahaha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tisdelski

tisdelski

hi,

would that be a 7in wide wheel or diameter ??

what size anvils do you have for it ??

the frame looks twisted in the pic , is this an optical illusion??

looks as if it`ll be an upper adjuster??

gary

3. crapshoot

crapshoot

its a 7in diameter by 4in wide with 3by3 lowers from hossier pattern,
    its not twisted the top plate isn't on yet so there a little flex in it yet and thats not where i welded it . we just put it there because i needed the "good table" for another project.

4. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Keep us posted. I know there is quite a debate about using a wider top wheel to help prevent edge marking the part...would like to see your adjuster setup and your impressions of the Hoosier Anvils. I hear they are excellent quality....

5. crapshoot

crapshoot

Well it’s done for now, until I get it painted. This thing is a Cadillac compared to my old eastwood piece of crap. And most of the other e-wheels I have seen. Final height is 6 foot 10 inches tall, 49 inch working height, 5 foot width back feet., with the adjustable feet on all four corners and the mass of this thing she is really stable. And I am pretty pleased with the wider upper wheel there are less lines in the metal. I am going to take some orders on these so if any body is looking for good custom built e-wheel give me a pm, I can down size to what ever Ya want.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Looks excellent. Be interested to hear how it performs.

Defintitely not an O/T post, btw...

7. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

i like that top wheel... have you used this puppy yet?

8. metalshapes

metalshapes

Looks great. :)

And absolutely not Off Topic...

9. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

OT must mean On Topic.
    That looks great! I've never even used an e-wheel before, but pretty obvious how they work.

Is the top wheel flat across, or are both wheels curved surface?

10. woodbox

woodbox

Looks great.
    A couple of questions: Can you turn the anvil and top wheel 90 degrees to do longer pieces?
    Where did you get the anvil and top wheel from or did you make these your self?:)

11. westcoaster

westcoaster
    from SoCal

wow, that looks tough. i have zero experience with an e wheel, but is it better to work into the throat like it is set up or work perpendicular to the throat? obviously this one is big enough, you probably won't have any issues. what are you charging for a custom built e wheel?

12. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I made mine with a quick change upper and lower wheel - it come's in handy more than you'd think. Ocassionally I've used a narrow upper - get's into places a wider wheel won't.

13. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Wow thats a monster!!!.....I would have had a tough time moving those plates around......another kool built in option would be to set your lower wheel up on a cam......Say your wheeling and want to remove the part to check it out or fit check it real quick.....You then grab the handle thats built into the lower wheel cam and turn it .....lowering the lower wheel and it allows you to remove the part without relieving the pressure your currently at....Then slide your part back in and reverse the cam handle until your on the high side of the cam and your right back where you left off..just a time saver thats all not really needed but nice.......you can even go as far as building in adjusters into your lower wheel axle so it can be adjusted so its parallel to your upper wheel...........Nice project!.......Littleman

14. Definitely.

The quick releases I did,can be operated with either hand,
    from any position.Some designs are a little awkward.

15. Gigantor

Gigantor

That IS impressive and NOT off topic! Wow. I'd like to know how it works, and also what you're looking to get for one. I assume they would shipped unassembled?

16. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

The upper wheel has the adjsuter on it. You pull the brass nob and it lets that whole arm pivot

17. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Kool...another way to get from point A to B.........Littleman....I have not seen alot of wheels with the afixed lower anvil.......They all do the same thing!! in the end....I would like to see how it works?......I know mine is made to handle the load...the camshaft Dia. that is....You can really go crazy making these machines..I really enjoyed building mine awhile back....Their really is alot of different designs out their..

18. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

is the 7" an oddball size? i was looking on hoosiers website and didnt see that one. i read my brains out on english wheels, hevell hammers, and planishing last nite. i have a cheesy HF one that sucks but i knew it would. works for small stuff. did you have the plate rolled to match the shape or bend and weld as you go?? did you make or purchase the upper wheel holder? i would love to purchase one from ya but im poor so ill have to make my own when i get some time and money.:( any info you want to give i would love to hear it!!

thanks matt

19. crapshoot

crapshoot

the top wheels are flat,the lower wheels have the curve there are 6 differnt wheels for the lowers each with a differnt arc to them

you can run it either way ,i am looking around $5,500 complete,from what i have seen for one this size it should be resonable.iam working on a smaller 26'' e-wheel design that will be cheaper.

well there will be some assembly like bolting on the upper adjuster and bolting on the legs. real easy to do might take ya 30 min.

yep your right it does have a quick release on the top i forgot to mention that.

the 7'' upper was from 07 they changed the sizes i think.so any new one would have a 9'' upper. the plate is bent in a big sheet metal break with a series of small bends, this e-wheel is just the start next will be a bigger and better planishing hammer and maybe a real resonable power hammer.

20. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

1/2" plate? Are you forming 3/16" hot roll steel? Wow, that seems a bit much, but if your doing thick stuff then I guess you'll need it. Kool design. I like the 10" wheel[​IMG]

21. ray

ray
    from colorado

the width of the upper wheel has nothing to do with lines in the metal, probably has more to do with the rigidity of the machine or what lower anvils you are using.

nice monster wheel though. i just have the finishing touches to go on my big wheel, got a little carried away, what the hell do i need 42" of throat depth for?:rolleyes:

22. toxictom

toxictom

thats mine, not finished yet, but love to work with it..

Attached Files: