Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 01-29-2008, 04:53 PM   #161
vendettaautofab
Member Emeritus

Default Re: America's Most Beautiful Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK! View Post
I'm not sure I'm on board with this, but I don't have to be. There have been a VERY long line of, what we would consider, ugly cars winning the AMBR title. Like 35 years worth!

The GNRS is not the "It Will Be 1949 Forever Roadster Show", but I sure wish it was.

While my heart lies with what we all consider "traditional-style" rods and customs, GNRS is doing pretty much what it has always done. Chose the most elaborately modified and "technically" best-executed roadster.

Check out the criteria http://www.hotrodshows.com/guidelines.html

There is nothing there about traditional or simple or even tasteful. There never has been.

The bottom line is that ALL indoor shows are about the "points" judging system. Even awesome hot rodder Rich Guasco took years to win AMBR and he kept changing his car to better fit the criteria. I think everyone here who knows the car digs it.

For better or for worse, that criteria has evolved, as has the hobby. I think we all revel in that fact. It makes us different.

Sorry to sound like a downer, I just think sometimes we take ourselves a little too seriously.
Bingo... I too love traditional rods, but thats not what AMBR is about. I think KIRK! is dead on with this.

And for their to be a maverick award, and to have substance, something will have to be behind it....someone or group or company or organization. If this is what we want to do and vote, why not make it official and have a HAMB peoples choice award...it would still be cool and very rewarding to recieve.

I am all about the DONT BITCH, START A REVOLUTION movement....always have been with alot of things. I understand the idea of just having the trophey appear with what was voted as the most beutiful roadster in our eyes....but without a voice behind it, it has no substance

Last edited by vendettaautofab; 01-29-2008 at 04:58 PM.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #162
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF View Post
This was sorta my point earlier, though it was probably a bit too seasoned with typical sarcasm.

I'll stick with my earlier comparison to the NHRA. Anyone remember the last time they staged a Cacklefest at Pomona? While it went over fairly well, what were most of the people there to see in the first place? John Force (or any of the other top drivers). That's why they have the March Meet, Hot Rod Reunion, etc.

I'm in no way opposing this, despite how much it may appear that I am. But, if the "power of the HAMB" is really what many claim it to be, why can't something like the Revolution grow on its own two feet, soon surpassing shows like the GNRS?
Cuz I have no interest in it... I'm not a show promoter. I'll never do an indoor car show. I'm just a guy that likes hot rods...

Rob, you don't gotta like the idea.

Ryan Cochran

"Skating the same line since 1976..."
.................................................. ....
www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com
Old 01-29-2008, 04:57 PM   #163
hotrodladycrusr
Old School HAMBer

I love the idea
Old 01-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #164
29bowtie
Old School HAMBer

I agree with Ryan,and many others,in my dislike for indoor car shows. But living where i do(written while watching snow fall),i understand how many enjoy the "social' aspect. That said,an award that is "fun" in spirit,and also honouring the fine creative efforts of a "real hot rodder" will be well received. It will be interesting to see the reaction from the promoters and participants of the show.As many have noticed,most of the "mainstream"hot rod publications, are embracing the return to more "traditional"cars,as are all the shows that have recognized the need for "traditional shows within a show". The time has come to "Complete the Revolution",all in good fun of course,through the power of the HAMB.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #165
SamIyam
Old School HAMBer

It goes in cycles... Phil Cool's '32 broke the 70's show car streak in '78 or 9... but this award could have some balls if

1) It was big

and

2) It had a name.

I know you said it shouldn't be named... but if I worked really hard on my hot rod, and got an award... I'd feel kinda funny telling people "I got this award... wiith no name"

Wanna trump the America's Most Beautiful Roadster award?

Call it "The World's Most Beautiful Roadster"

Find a way to sneak it in... in pieces, of course... each of the ten judges brings a piece of it in, and they assemble it in quick fasion right there on the spot... plop it in the owner's display... and tell him that he just recieved "The World's Most Beautiful Roadster Award" and then say "We'll be back next year to pick this up" (or Wherever, whenever)

Oh yea, make it one inch higher than the AMBR trophy.

Sam.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #166
Harms Way
Old School HAMBer

At Detroit, there is a artiest / pin striper Yosemite Sam and he makes and gives out a award every year, It's not sanctioned by MHRA, CASI or ISCA,... it just shows up Saturday night,.. It's called "The Rolling Sculpture Award",.... It's now as much a part of Autorama as the Ridler,.....

Ryan, this is a outstanding idea, deal me in,..... In my humble opinion, I think the award should pay homage to the origin of the AMBR,... just a thought but how about a bronze of the Bill Niekamp roadster (at speed kicking dust off her tires !) on a walnut base,..... O'Brians could possibly handle the foundry work,... also if the plug was kept, a new one could be made every year,... if you decided to let the previous winners keep there Award,... just like the Alliance plaque, I would have a big problem letting mine go to someone else,..... just my thoughts

H.A.M.B. Chapel

Old 01-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #167
4tl8ford

It has to be.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #168
hemi

Why not just ask them if you can give out or sponsor a HAMB award?
Old 01-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #169
propwash
Alliance Member

I hope none of you are actually surprised by this. I went to my first indoor car show in Spokane in 1958 - every car in it had been driven there and then, of course, dusted, cleaned, etc. The "Dukes" sponsored the show I believe. You can't whine about the direction that car shows have taken out of one side of your mouth and then bow at the altar of the customizers of yore that began the practice of building vehicles strictly FOR show. I've always been a "drive 'em" kinda guy, and the indoor car fanatics are welcome to all that glitz and glamor - give me some black soot on the nerf bar and some rubber fuzzies on the fender well.

dj
Old 01-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #170
Royalshifter

I like Hot Rods.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:17 PM   #171
junkcad

i like the idea & i have a suggestion for the "first ten" people to pick the list.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:29 PM   #172
BruceVE

I'm on board with this...good idea.

As a matter of fact, I think we should practice this idea with the Sacramento Autorama. After all:

-Same promoter
-Only one year younger than the GNRS
-Steeped in the same tradition and same judging

Only difference is it has worlds most beautiful custom.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #173
Weasel
Old School HAMBer

Just one small problem here - the judges are always so damn judgmental....
Old 01-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #174
gbones32coupe

That car is brand new why did it win and old car show There is not anything old on it. The body is prob brand new doubt they used an old one. I here that. My dad had his front engine dragster at an indoor show after he restored it, and they wanted to give 1st place but instead they didn't give out a first place, they called it inopertive because he had no spark plugs in the hemi not that you could tell any way. instead he got second place that was a kick in the balls I guess if your dragster dose not have a starter or spark plugs.on the engine that means it dosn't run? indoor car shows are bullshit thats why I think this is a good idea. PS as soon as I get my income tax check I'm sending you your over due 50$ I am ready to be an allience member.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #175
buzzard
Alliance Member

Roadster, schmoadster. If it's the coolest car there, and has a top, bed, or happens to be a 4 door hardtop wagon, give it the award.

I wouldn't plan on the GNRS loving the idea of an outside award. I'd be curious as to how Billetproof, Pileup, Roundup, PnP, would feel about a group trying to upstage their awards. Not that you are trying to upstage them, but that might very well be their perception.

I think you might end up having a hard time keeping up with the trophy, if you want to travel. Suppose we give it to somebody unfamilar with the HAMB. Not saying that it would purposely be stolen. It might hardly be acknowledged and be forgotten in the corner of the garage. Heck, we haven't been able to have Mr. Bones travel around like originally intended. How are we going to control an outsider.

As small as the hot rodding world is, I don't think it does any good to try to make it anonymous. Once you have 40,000 people vote for the winner, they are going to find out where it came from. You might as well put a name to the trophy. I'm not saying it has to be an official Jalopy Journal award. In fact, I'll pm you an award name that popped into my head as soon as I started reading that part. You can post it if you feel it is appropriate.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #176
mgbtc

great idea! we went on friday, there were nicer, more deserving cars!
Old 01-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #177
SamIyam
Old School HAMBer

Also, in my opinion... the World's Most Beautiful Roadster may not be a traditional hot rod.

I mean, if it's a Traditional Hot Rod that gets the award... and it's an award with no name, it'll soon get a name... catch my drift?

There are plenty of examples of great looking hot rods that are beautiful... that don't get the recognition they deserve because they didn't recieve enough point on their display, or because the owner did not leave the deck lid open.

To me, you strip away all the things on a judging sheet that don't have to do with the car being beautiful, and you judge the car on its looks.

Sam.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #178
Rick Sis

I think this is a great idea. I'm not sure I understand the reason for it being anonymous. If it's by HAMB members votes, why not call it the HAMB members choice award, with pride?

Another question: Don't the big shows have a peoples choice award anymore? Where everyone with a ticket to the show has a vote? I always thought that was the best way to judge an overall show winner.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #179
hillbillyhell

Good plan boss. Classis subversive activity, right up my alley.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #180
RATRODCHEVY
FNG

Exacty...the Detroit autorama has a basement full of stuff not allowed on the main floor due to lack of twinkle...and all the trophies are made hand made from left over parts...real good stuff