Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 01-29-2008, 03:14 PM   #121
SanDiegoJoe
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: America's Most Beautiful Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
IAnd...izzit going to be a ROADSTER award ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjustablejohnsons
There is no doubt in my military mind. There was a Cochran at the planning session for the Boston Tea Party. Let the people be heard. Next victim...The Riddler Award.
Roadster Award for the GNRS and a Hot Rod award for the Detriot Autorama...

We can call the Autorama award the Frank Gorshin Award
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #122
Harrison
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by notebooms View Post
- you shouldnt be allowed vote unless you're there to see the cars in person. this internet "look at photos" stuff doesnt cut it.

- not sure if 10 nominated judges, or an overall hamb peoples choice makes more sense. either can work.

-scott noteboom
Ryan knows what he wants this to be but I'll weigh in anyway....

I think part of the beauty of this is that people from all over the world could vote. It wouldn't just be reserved for those who can study them up close & personal. Our pick would come from the gut, not out from under a microscope...... & it should come from the gut. At that level they are all almost perfect anyway. We'd be picking "beauty", "cool", or whatever.... not picking nits.

I would like to see voting available only to Alliance members though. I'd hate to see such a sincere form of recognition screwed up by someone trying to pad the vote by having everyone he/she knew log on & vote.

JH
Old 01-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #123
meatball
Old School HAMBer

[quote=Django;2539870]Hahaha, that's awesome.

How is it going to be a "trophy" that is passed on from year to year if it's not branded to the TJJ/HAMB?

AMBR is one letter away from HAMB HAMBR. The revolution has begun (again). HAMBR....Now thats the shit right there I tell ya what,it says it all
Old 01-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #124
Detonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
And...izzit going to be a ROADSTER award or just Hotrod? Should be the former, I think, just because of the inspiration for this...we're pushing off from the AMBR, not the Ridler.
Bruce has a point here -- and I agree with him. This is the GNRoadsterShow. The award oughta go to a roadster. It'll sure make it simpler.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #125
RichardW

but I sure hope we get to see better photos than we've seen of the winner this year (godawful ugly, btw).

I think it is a great idea but if we are going to vote on photos then they all need to be of the same quality. What I have seen on here from this years show wouldn't be fair representation. Are we going to have to send a Photographer along with the judges?
Old 01-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #126
Ryan
Administrator

Roadsters only...

Ryan Cochran

"Skating the same line since 1976..."
.................................................. ....
www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com
Old 01-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #127
meatball
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoJoe View Post
Roadster Award for the GNRS and a Hot Rod award for the Detriot Autorama...

We can call the Autorama award the Frank Gorshin Award
damn thats funny !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	150px-Gorshinriddler.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	406770  
Old 01-29-2008, 03:32 PM   #128
meatball
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Roadsters only...
Perfect !!...I gotta believe that the cars being considered would be easy to get GOOD photos during set-up day and early on including the Judges book if ya asked the owners..this would help everyone concerned vote on the car for its own merit and maybe open the eyes of people lookin in on whats is really involved to figure this out....just my take on this
Old 01-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #129
KIRK!
Old School HAMBer

I'm not sure I'm on board with this, but I don't have to be. There have been a VERY long line of, what we would consider, ugly cars winning the AMBR title. Like 35 years worth!

The GNRS is not the "It Will Be 1949 Forever Roadster Show", but I sure wish it was.

While my heart lies with what we all consider "traditional-style" rods and customs, GNRS is doing pretty much what it has always done. Chose the most elaborately modified and "technically" best-executed roadster.

Check out the criteria http://www.hotrodshows.com/guidelines.html

There is nothing there about traditional or simple or even tasteful. There never has been.

The bottom line is that ALL indoor shows are about the "points" judging system. Even awesome hot rodder Rich Guasco took years to win AMBR and he kept changing his car to better fit the criteria. I think everyone here who knows the car digs it.

For better or for worse, that criteria has evolved, as has the hobby. I think we all revel in that fact. It makes us different.

Sorry to sound like a downer, I just think sometimes we take ourselves a little too seriously.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #130
SanDiegoJoe
Old School HAMBer

KIRK! is right on this one... and has the perspective of running his own show to back it up.

fucking downer.

- Joe
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Old 01-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #131
Wicked Tin

I agree with kirkto a point but I also like the thought of our own to pick!
Old 01-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #132
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK! View Post
I'm not sure I'm on board with this, but I don't have to be. There have been a VERY long line of, what we would consider, ugly cars winning the AMBR title. Like 35 years worth!

The GNRS is not the "It Will Be 1949 Forever Roadster Show", but I sure wish it was.

While my heart lies with what we all consider "traditional-style" rods and customs, GNRS is doing pretty much what it has always done. Chose the most elaborately modified and "technically" best-executed roadster.

Check out the criteria http://www.hotrodshows.com/guidelines.html

There is nothing there about traditional or simple or even tasteful. There never has been.

The bottom line is that ALL indoor shows are about the "points" judging system. Even awesome hot rodder Rich Guasco took years to win AMBR and he kept changing his car to better fit the criteria. I think everyone here who knows the car digs it.

For better or for worse, that criteria has evolved, as has the hobby. I think we all revel in that fact. It makes us different.

Sorry to sound like a downer, I just think sometimes we take ourselves a little too seriously.
I don't take this seriously at all actually... It's cars man... It's FUN!

And yeah, I know all indoor shows do the point thing. But that doesn't mean we can't do it our own way.

And yeah, I realize the GNRS is just moving along the same path it has been for years and that many an ugly car won the award back in the day. I just don't feel like we should sit idly by and watch it happen... Why not have some fun? It will be good for the small amount of people it effects and if you really think about it, it won't hurt the GNRS one bit! Hell, it won't hurt anyone... at all... why not do it?

In the end, it's just a bunch of car guys recognizing another car guy for doing stuff that we all respect or enjoy. I don't like show trophies as much as the next guy, but in this circumstance it just seems so right... so good...

Ryan Cochran

www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com
Old 01-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #133
36couper

If we could harness all the time, energy, hatred and disgust in this 7 page post and get back into our garages and build something WE LIKE, we would all be a lot better off.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #134
SinisterCustom
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
I don't take this seriously at all actually... It's cars man... It's FUN!

And yeah, I know all indoor shows do the point thing. But that doesn't mean we can't do it our own way.

And yeah, I realize the GNRS is just moving along the same path it has been for years and that many an ugly car won the award back in the day. I just don't feel like we should sit idly by and watch it happen... Why not have some fun? It will be good for the small amount of people it effects and if you really think about it, it won't hurt the GNRS one bit! Hell, it won't hurt anyone... at all... why not do it?

In the end, it's just a bunch of car guys recognizing another car guy for doing stuff that we all respect or enjoy. I don't like show trophies as much as the next guy, but in this circumstance it just seems so right... so good...
Ya know.....I may have been a bit harsh in earlier posts.....and not giving "US" enough credit over "THEM" on the trophy/award front......

You've SOLD me on this idea.......
Old 01-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #135
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36couper View Post
If we could harness all the time, energy, hatred and disgust in this 7 page post and get back into our garages and build something WE LIKE, we would all be a lot better off.
At least from me, there is no hate... Hell, we are all car guys. The past winners, the promoters, the losers... all of us.

Ryan Cochran

Old 01-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #136
63fdsnr
Grenade Inspector

Great idea Ryan, try to get '50fraud' involved - his picks were spot on, from all the pictures I have viewed. Just keep it fun as you say. We all love cars - just some a bit more.
Al
Old 01-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #137
53chevy

Location: Ventura, Ca. --> Attending school In Riverside, Ca.

So it's a Secret Pen-Pal award. Someone will dress-up like one of those guys in the Matrix movie, slap the guy or girl on the ass, saying Good Job!, hand em' an envelope and a trophy and disapear into the crowd...

Ken
Old 01-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #138
Eagletucky

The concept sounds good in theory, but I have a very hard time believing that this is worth the trouble. If I ran a show and found out some other guys, who didnt like how I did things decided to give an unauthorized award away at my show, you would bet, I would not let that happen. You might be able to pull this off the 1st year, but theres no way it would go down the next.

If you really dont like how they do it... do it better. Start your own show. There just doesnt seen to be alot of honor in what has been proposed.

I will now go back to my regular "Dude, that sweet" posting.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #139
KIRK!
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
...Why not have some fun? It will be good for the small amount of people it effects and if you really think about it, it won't hurt the GNRS one bit! Hell, it won't hurt anyone... at all... why not do it?

In the end, it's just a bunch of car guys recognizing another car guy for doing stuff that we all respect or enjoy.
Word to that!

I think an anonymous award would be killer. I'd be honored as hell to get it, as I'm sure anyone would be.

While I cannot defend the AMBR choice this year, it is 100% in-line with their criteria; level of difficulty and number of modifications over aesthetics.

Definitely not any of our cup of tea.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #140
hemi

Previous winners....

Two-time winner: