Register now to get rid of these ads!

Riley Roadster GNRS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bookz, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Bookz

Bookz

Can anyone fill me in on the 32 roadster with the Riley conversion motor in it. I just can,t get that car out of my mind and it is sure as hell on my list of all time great 32,s.
    Thanks

2. Bookz

Bookz

Anyone???????? Also would love to see any photos of this car.

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

4. plan9

plan9

member happy hoppy took these pics for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

This car blew me away! Is that a Chevy axle with Ford axle ends?

6. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

What are the wheels? '40 Ford DeLuxe caps obviously work on them...

Brucie

7. Bookz

Bookz

Thank you so much guys. Is this a new build or a restoration of a old rod?
    Don Orosco certainly seems to be a case of money meets great taste. What else does he own besides the Bakan Coupe which is another of the truely great 32's.

8. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Wow. I'd like to see a some shots of it outside or in some softer light so I could tell exactly what's going on around all of the shiny stuff. That axle looks cool.

9. alchemy

alchemy

The axle looks like the one in the Spencer roadster, before he road-racerized it. Looks like part Mopar, part filled-n-dropped Ford.

Love the Pierce-Arrow dash panel. Love the Kinmonts. Love the Riley heads. Love the whole thing.

10. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Yeah, what's up with the axle?

Are the wheels Dodge artillery?

Bitchin car.

11. gooseta2

gooseta2

Yeah those are artillary wheels...I thought That This car should have won the A M B R....This was a flawless 32....Mark kirby said that only about 6 or 7 sets of those riley over head valve heads are sill around...very very beautiful...

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That thing rules...

13. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

This was one of my favorite cars at the show. So many incredible details. Anyone notice the gorgeous license plate frame with an integral license plate light?

[​IMG]

14. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

It's a neat axle but it accentuates the hieght of the front of the car with the space between the dip in the center and the bottom of the grill shell.

That belongs on a track roadster with a track nose designed to mimic that curve.

I like this car but it seems to lack a focus for me. It seems just like a collection of rare parts on an otherwise common black hiboy 32.

I wish I could have seen it in person, maybe my impression would have been different.

I think if I could change one thing on it to 'fix' it for me, it would be 2 inches lower in the back and 3 in the front. I'd change other stuff too but a more aggressive stance would make the rare performance parts blend with the entire package a bit more and make the whole thing have more continuity.

15. Elrod

Elrod

The thing looks flawless... except are those plastic devils head tail lights? I hope not.

I noticed the axle also. 36-38 Plym/Dodge double dip axle with Dropped I beam ends. Different for sure!

This has WAY more character than the AMBR award winner, but I'm not sure I would have given it to this one. I agree with above post on the collection of crazy rare parts, but the funky axle on the front is kinda weird.

Look like Kinmont brakes on there too. Shesh! Some kids have all the toys

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that would be a contender for Hambericas Most Beautiful Roadster...

17. Weasel

Weasel

For more info on the Riley V8 check out Danny Iandola's book - George Riley Racing Scrapbook. I think it is correct that only about six of these V8s were made. I think the book may be out of print but pops up occasionally on eBay or try Amazon.com.

Don Orosco has more rare stuff than God and has the taste and feel for the period to use it appropriately. He listed a set of Milan brakes on eBay one time - these were the model for plagiarism by Kinmont. As I recall he pulled the auction early - maybe a change of heart? Or are these the brakes on this latest roadster, rather than Kinmonts? Anyone?

18. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I spoke w/ Don's paint, body and engine guys who were at the show setting up the car. He is a real perfectionist for getting it all right. Here's one mind blowing thing I found out from the them: The Kinmonts were N.O.S.!!! Wrap your brain around that one!

The car really held up in person too...

19. KIRK!

KIRK!

It's all wrong. The AMBSR had...

Simply stunning.

20. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

I keep thinking of this ..the original Hemi V8 a Riley Autovia V8 from 1938.
    [​IMG]

21. Bookz

Bookz

I'll second that......can anyone help? Also does anyone have some good shots of the interior and dash.
    Every detail just looks right to me. Personally I feel it has a lovely period look and isn't overdone at all. As I commented earlier Don Orosco has the great combination of money and damn good taste.:)

22. cruzr

cruzr

shoulda won AMBR......its the real deal and flawless !

23. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

I wish I could've been able to get closer to the car to get some better detail pics. This is the only interior shot I have. Anyone have any else?

[​IMG]

24. banjorear

banjorear

I'm pretty sure that isn't a Dodge/Mopar "dip" axle. Sure is one hell of nice car. Pretty flawless.

25. Bookz

Bookz

Thanks Brudwich.... that is awesome.

26. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Kool car.That's my winner.
    The book on Riley's stuff turns up on ebay too.
    Dumb question de jour.Were those heads for converting flathead V-8's?
    I've had some Riley banger stuff in the past but never knew they made it for V-8's

27. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

Don bought that engine/ head setup & the old race car it was in at the Turlock swap meet about 10-15 years ago.I saw it there, but was sold the first thing on opening day.Talk about super rare, but at least it went to a good home, as that's what it needed.

28. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Wow. That car is big league bad ass!

29. Don's black Roadster and the copper metallic Coupe were an absolutely flawless pair at this year's GNRS. The man restored Reventlow's Scarab, among others, and shows regularly at Pebble Beach - should have won the big trophy, just for proving that you can build a "traditional" car and blow everybody's mind . . .
    The photos I've seen so far on the HAMB don't do the cars justice.

30. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

Here are a few more that I took of the Riley Roadster - Orosco

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]