Register now to get rid of these ads!

California Y.O.M. registration stickers (OT?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BIGREDTODD, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Update...See post #27 for pictures of stickers on some '56 plates...

As expensive as a pristine sticker is these days (if you can find one) it almost hurts to put it onto a license plate. I have been acquiring what some might refer to as an obsessively thorough collection of California license plates, registration tags, and stickers for the past several years. This collection has generated several N.O.S. registration stickers and a couple of pristine "reclaimed" stickers.

I have been experimenting with different methods of reproducing the 1957-1962 California registration stickers for awhile now based on several N.O.S. stickers I have acquired. I think I have devised a very true re-creation of the sticker, in sizing and coloration. While the '58-'62 stickers have a preliminary run completed, I haven't finished the initial run of '57 stickers yet, but they will be ready soon. Then I will just be doing a bit of testing for weathering, etc. My intention for these stickers is to provide a sticker for those who want their stickers to look as good as their restored plates. The fact is, N.O.S. stickers are extremely difficult (and expensive) to find.

I will likely be putting these on the aution site we all curse, as it lends itself to marketing these types of items. But if there's interest here on the H.A.M.B. I will be have them available for a 15-20% discounted price.

I haven't yet priced these stickers, and this is not a for sale post. I just wanted to show what I had been up to during the rainy days and see what the California folks thought...testing the waters, if you will.

BIGREDTODD

Attached Files:

2. Todd, are these legal to run on the street? I'm running a black plate on my 57 and planning to eventually switch to to the yellow plate. I never thought about running a YOM sticker too. What color is 57?

3. You will need a '57 sticker and a matching pair of the '56 plates.

The '57 sticker is red like the '61, but the characters are black, instead of silver. I have one the reproduced '60 tags on the plates I have for my avatar F-100 with no issues. I will pull these out and post some pictures of the stickers on a plate.

The DMV's primary concern is to verify that the plates are useable, or "clear" and the correct year sticker will be applied for the vehicle.

Hope this helps...

4. Also, all of the '57 tags that have been floating around have been fetching near, or more than $100...Kind of crazy when you add that to $300-$400 for perfect plates...Granted, slightly "patina'd" plates can be bought for $150-$200...

5. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Hey , do you have to run front plates on a 32 year model car or just one? I rolled onto a 1932 cali tag this weekend and was wondering if would be worth buying at 30.00? Sorry about the hijack.

6. tommy v

tommy v

there is a guy at the stockton swap meet that has all those ,i got a 1962 tag for 5 bucks off him last year and IT'S real

7. Benzine, think twice before you lose the black plates. You cannot get those and run them like you can the other years, and once you give it up for the yellow, that will be it. The only way you can get black and yellow plates is by buying a car that already has them. You have something special there my friend. Just my 2 cents. D.

8. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Anything produced to duplicate an existing DMV document is considered counterfeiting, which is a felony. There's a guy, in another state, that reproduces the California black plate. He will not ship to California because it's considered a counterfeit. My buddy had his shipped to a friend in Arizona and forwarded by his friend. The plate has the same characters as his personalized plate. I warned him and he got stopped.

9. The '62 tags are really easy to come by. I bought couple of stickers from a vendor on ebay, and he gave me a NOS '62 and '64 tag, because he had so many of them...

If he has the other years, you should buy everything he has...I have spent about $500 over the past 3 years acquireing stickers for this project.

10. The black plates are about to make a comeback, as in they'll be YOMable soon.

Thanks,
    Kurt

11. The black plates are supposedly going to become eligible for YOM this summer. If he wants the original issue type, the 56 plates are the only way to go.

12. If it's a nice single, $30 is about right. You need a matched clear pair to be eligible for YOM. PM me if you want a pair, I have an exra set that are "patina'd"

BRT

13. I got my '61 sticker for ~$20 and driver plates for ~$30, IIRC. I'm not interested in perfect plates and stickers, but I am wondering if it'd be legal to reproduce stickers.

Thanks,
    Kurt

14. Plates are a different story, because the configuration is easily recognizable as fake, particularly if a "personalized" sequence is used. The CHP and PD's aren't stupid. When using YOM plates, you still apply an annual renewal month/date sticker to stay current. My primary intention is to produce a sticker that has a mint appearance to complete a perfect vintage license plate...

I will post a picture of my felonius plates when I pull them out of the garage into the day light...

15. You scored, deals like that are getting harder and harder to find...

BRT

16. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

The DMV requires 2 perfect "restored" or NOS plates for the YOM program, they won't accept anything less. I know, it's all F'd up.

17. No they don't. As long as they're reasonably legible they'll work, IF they even look at them.

Thanks,
    Kurt

18. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

It all depends on which DMV office you walk into and who you are dealing with. I've known people take in nice used matching sets and have them cut up and destroyed in front of their face.........

19. I am pretty sure that would lead to blacking out and waking up in jail!

WTF?!

Which DMV office did that? As long as teh plates are matched, legible and the correct color, it's not a problem...

20. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I've only know them to confiscate black plates.

21. That makes a little more sense...

I have brought (black plate) cars in out of the field and re-registered them, and DMV has asked the old plates to be surrendered. After the first car, I always told them the plates must have been stolen...

22. ...I will post a few pics of the stickers on authentic plates this week...

23. It won't take effect until July 1, 2009.

Year of Manufacture Plates — Operative July 1, 2009 Amend: Vehicle Code §5004.1 (AB 462 Chapter No. 497) Extends the Year of Manufacture (YOM) license plate program to include 1969 year model or older passenger vehicles and 1972 or older commercial vehicles. Increases the original YOM application fee (Fee Code 017) to $45. see: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/about/leg/leginfo_vr.htm

24. VonZipper

VonZipper

my gig was I didn't want commercial plates on my truck, my own strange aesthetic. I like 3 letters an 3 numbers, anyway I scored a pair of clean 56 car plates with 57 stickers already on, optimum, I went into the dmv probably 5 times until I got a pregnant chick behind the counter that let me change my truck to noncommercial, running the yom plates. so whatever plates you have sooner or later you'll get the right person an if it's not working out the way you want, play dumb, don't commit an make another appointment.
    thanks bigredtodd the new stickers are key
    [​IMG]

25. I'm under the impression that restoring or painting old plates was not allowed. In fact expressly forbidden. Also verboten. True/False/Wacked?

26. That's a big falsehood there, buddy!

Almost all the license plate vendors selling accessories and plates are selling restored pairs. As long as they are the correct color, and legible, they are acceptable...

27. As promised, here are some pictures of various original 1956 plates with appropriate stickers...Haven't shown the '62 sticker, as those are really common, and I haven't finished the run of '57 tags as I noted earlier.

These are my "new" stickers. I am pretty happy with how they look. The only variable is how they will react long-term with sun exposure. Kind of hard to test that. The nice thing is they are about the same thickness as my N.O.S. stickers. The "reclaimed" stickers are often trimmed way down or out of square.

Just trying to get a feel for what you guys think...Even if it ends up that myself, my dad, and a couple friends use them, we will still have saved a fair amount of coin...I am using the "K" plates for my '60 F-100 (avatar) so I guess it's okay for the to be the most blurry of the pictures...:eek:

BRT

Attached Files:

28. I just picked up another YOM license plate application to see if I remembered correctly...

They verify plate dimensions, condition, material, year, and color.

They verify the sticker color and year. They do not verify the number on the stickers, so long as you have the correct year for your vehicle.

My first run of '57 tags is on the way...Yahooo

BRT

29. 61TBird

61TBird

To clear up ANY questions about the California YOM program,there is a great link that explains it all.
    Type in "California YOM program" in your browser and look for the ebay link(it should be near the top).
    You can go to the DMV website,but it doesn't have photos of plates or stickers.

I took my 1961 "reclaimed" sticker along with my "new" California yellow plates to the DMV and had NO problem registering them.
    (I did have to wait 6 weeks for the current month/year stickers and metal tags.)
    The DMV will need to see 2 plates(for cars and trucks)with the year sticker attached.
    They will also xerox a copy of the plates to send to Sacramento.

Please,DO NOT try and use a "repro" year sticker(sorry,to the "repro" sticker guy),unless you want to create more problems for yourself.
    The vehicle year sticker is registered to your plates in the DMV database,so they'll need a "real" sticker.

Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

30. might be a bit off topic for this post but I have heard of folks getting a personalized plates to match their YOM plate to avoid all of this hassle with the DMV and running their original plate in place of the personalized one. Anyone have any thoughts on this? (beyond the fact that it is illegal?) Would anyone be able to notice any difference in the registration? Is there anything on a personalized plate registration that indicates that you have personalized plates?