Register now to get rid of these ads!

how many have used a Chet Herbert cam?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead31coupe, Jan 26, 2008.

1. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

i remember back in the 80s calling and ordering one for my s/b ford that worked great...

2. brandon

brandon

i ordered a small solid roller for a sbc back in the early 90's....even talked to chet :D it worked nicely in my little flat top 383 .....till a rod bolt decided to part ways with a rod......:rolleyes: it nicked a lobe pretty good....and pretty much ended the cams future.... brandon:D

3. john56h

john56h

Yes, I've had at least one of his cams.

4. usedall9

usedall9

You can't go wrong. Especially for the price and service.

5. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I Have Used A Couple And They Ran Really Good.

6. I ran a Chet Herbert roller tappet cam in my Cadillac powered Henry J in the late fifties and early sixties. Worked for me.

7. buick320a

buick320a
    from indiana

I've got one in my Olds Dragster, it's work OK, for the last 48 years !

Attached Files:

8. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

Balanced and blue printed 12:5:1 sbc with M/T aluminum rods and a 9500 shift point. It opened and closed perfectly.!!!:D

9. tmacracin

tmacracin

I had Chet Herbert grind me a cam for my last blown alcohol SBC. Donnie from Chet's shop knows his stuff! He has been grinding cams from 40+ years

10. Scotch

Scotch

I had an SR1 (solid roller, .505 or so lift, 300 or so duration) in a SBC 350 for a few years. It ran really well and pulled hard in a '65 A-body. It busted a rod but the cam worked great. Definitely worth looking into for the personal service at Herberts, especially if you're in SoCal and can stop by there.

~Scotch~

11. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

first ran into Chet in the 50s when I used his roller in a dragster. then in the 70s when I was building engs. many a flat tappet cam of his in the southeast, because I liked them. he was the one that told me in the 80s there were only 3 companies making lifters. Great man.

12. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Yes, Donnie is Don Johansen, son of the Howard Cams founder, Howard Johansen.

I had the pleasure of meeting him this weekend while I was out for the GNRS. I bought a Herbert billet solid roller cam from him for my 392 Chrysler....it's a beautiful piece. I'm sure that he has the means to grind pretty much any cam from looking at their equipment.

He told me that he started in the business at 6 years old! He's super knowledgable and just a genuinely nice guy.

13. Speedi D

Speedi D
    from Calif

Used a Herbert roller in an Olds engine in a '52 Ford "whiskey car" in W.Va. in the mid1950's. Was a good engine - good power and very reliable. Would run really hard for long periods and still maintain power.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Had one re-ground for a 312 ford. $35.00.:D

15. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

In the 70's had some Herbert stuff and it was just fine.

But in the last few years had a hydraulic Chet Herbert cam in my El Camino. Cam went flat and mushroomed lifter ruined block. Herbert would not honor warranty.

Also had roller cam in drag racing engine. The rollers wore grooves into cam lobes. Herbert himself would not warranty but one of the guys who worked there took care of me anyway.

I don't think they make anything anymore. The roller lifters were made somewhere in the midwest. Lifters are now made in China.

Cams are junk nowdays..don't use 'em.

16. retromotors

retromotors

That's all well and good, but how's it gonna hold up in the long run! :D

17. RAY With

RAY With

I have used Chets cams for many years and all rollers for the BB Ford.I imagine I have at least 20 different profiles over the last several years and they all made good HP. I didnt like the springs he had but the cams were as good as most and better that a lot of cam grinders. One great point was Chet was always available and had the knowledge to have the answer as soon as you ask the question..

18. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I've used a couple different SBC and BBC roller cams and lifters from Chet Herbert. They all ran very good with no problems. We even sent one back and had it re-ground and it was better.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

19. gas pumper

gas pumper

Speaking of Don Johansen, I met him at the Red Garter in West Wendover this year during Speedweek. What a great guy. His customers are like a who's who of racing and hot rodding.

He's still making cams and will make anything for any engine, all his cams are made one at a time. And the price is reasonable for what he's doing.

Here's a picture of his business card, it's aluminum and laser engraved!
    If you can't see the small print, the phone # is: 909-815-9185.

Frank

Attached Files:

20. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Good Cam,.......Good Cam!

21. pishta

pishta
    from Tustin, CA

I ran one in a 318 back in 1994. Took all my top end off a stock 273 4bbl that spun a rod bearing and moved it to a junkyard 318 short block. Pulled the 318 2bbl cam and put in a "stage 2" Chet Herbert cam recommended to me by some old dude in a wheelchair behind the counter (yeah, that guy!) 'new' 318 ran way stronger than the 273 4bbl it replaced. For a stockish '65 Barracuda 'S', it would literally leap off the line and nothing could touch it for the first 60 feet, after that, the little teen with its single 1 3/4 exhaust system would show its humble roots but it was a nice cam. Im going to get an MP .509 cam reground by him to get that old circle track profile into the 21st century, even though his grinder is circa 1960 if he is using the same machine I saw back in '94.

22. I scored a brand new mid fifties Chet Herbert #7 roller cam for my DeSoto. By todays standards, it's nothing radical, but it sure is a nice running piece for the Street. Had Donny spec it out, check it out, and polish it up. Donny is the MAN!...and so was Chet. Remember, "Any cam, any grind $35"?...

23. I used to call him up and he'd prescribe a suitable "cheater" cam for my stock cars. They always idled as almost stock, but pulled like a bugger off the corner. I still have one "brand new" in the tube sitting on the shelf, a Z28 off road grind.

Bob

24. Normbc9

Normbc9

I have used four of the Herbert Roller cams. The first was in 1962. I still have two engines with this great cam in running condition (248 GMC six; 261 Chevy six) and both have been doing their job for years. Happy? You bet. Would I go back to Herbert again? Definitely!
    Normbc9

25. turdytoo

turdytoo

Was Herbert the one that had the square bar running thru the lifter gallies to keep the lifters square?

26. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I just spoke to them a couple of weeks ago about one of their solid roller cams we have and want to use in a 460 Ford we are building. The guy I spoke with on the phone was EXCEPTIONALLY helpful and very friendly. I hung up the phone super impressed with his attitude and knowledge. Our cam is an older grind and he didn't mind at all digging back to get me all the info I needed and to make recommendations about the best way to use it.

Every company should have a phone tech guy like the one I spoke with.

Don

bobss396 likes this.
  27. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Dunno about Herbert, but if you're talking about roller cams for 235/261s, McGurk sold a roller setup with the long piece of steel you describe.

28. i used chets cam in 327 chev 31 ford hotrod in 1993 and still tim warden:)

29. They had made one for my 429 Ford stock car back around 1982. Chet himself took the order at the time, guy was a Fort Knox of cam knowledge. I'm glad to see they haven't lost their touch.

Bob

30. I ran one in my gas dragster in 1976. Still have a decal on one of my toolboxes.