Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > To the Editors > Questions & Suggestions

Old 01-20-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
Tony
Alliance Member

Default HOW TO: Staying logged in...

Any one have issue's with automatically logging off the HAMB when creating a new post?
I'm not the fastest typer, so when i reply to a thread sometime's it take's me a while if it's a longer reply, when i hit the submit button, rather than posting my reply, i am sent to a page to log in again....i'm sure it's because there was no movement on the board for a certain amount of time.....but it's a pain in the ass, ESPECIALLY when i'm creating a post with pics.
Then i have to start over...and sometime's i just can't because of time.
I searched around my account and can't find anywhere for a log in time setting...
I've noticed this since the last changes made on here a while back, but never questioned it before..Now, i'm thinking of starting a thread on my truck, and i know i'll be logged out before i'm done....
So, is there a place to adjust the log in time so it dosn't log me out so fast?

Thanks.
Tony

"You are cordially invited to shit in your hat"
-Chili Phil-

Do you need a open 32 Ford registration for your display case?? I have a NY one perfect for framing! contact me.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
GizmoJoe

Default Re: log in time...

Have you changed the security settings on your browser? Set up a new firewall or spam blocker? Sometimes they close a connection like that.
One trick to see if it really is a time-out issue is to type your reply in a word processor or other editor, copy it to the clipboard, go to the HAMB post, hit reply, paste the message and submit. If you have to log in again it's probably not a time-out issue.
Sometimes I write a reply in a word processor to help me appear a little better with my spelling and grammar.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
Tony
Alliance Member

Thanks for the info.. I havnt' changed anything with the setting's on my pc...and actually, the HAMB is the only site it does this with.
I'll double check thing's anyway to make sure..
Thanks again.
Tony

-Chili Phil-

Do you need a open 32 Ford registration for your display case?? I have a NY one perfect for framing! contact me.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
GizmoJoe

Sure.
Hopefully someone else has a better suggestion.

Joe
Old 01-20-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
Dat Dirty Rat
Old School HAMBer

All the f@cking time...Its like a 2-3 minuter timer...I screwed up a keyboard over it cause i smashed it...But with what Gizmo said Why is it only on this board???
It sucks...
Old 01-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
Muttley
Old School HAMBer

Exclamation Re: log in time...

When you log in there is a box that says "remember me", check that box and it should keep you from having the problem.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
GizmoJoe

I had installed Firefox and no matter what I did it wouldn't remember me, 'remember me' checked or not. But.. I had setup a proxy server that messed it up. After I told the proxy to not be active for this site, all was well.
Good luck.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #8
Von Rigg Fink
Old School HAMBer

Yep ..have had it happen to me about half a dozen times..one time it pissed me off so bad i decided not to post the build on my 28 sedan due to all the work, typing, pictures and all that goes with it..i spent a bunch of time thinking..oh this will be great!..just to hit the submit button and lose it all.
I did find that when i check the "remember me" button my problem went away, for now..and not sure about a long long post..but it is too late for the 28 build thread, i just dont have it in me at this time.

Some guys could fuck up free lunch.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #9
Ryan
Administrator

Yeah fellas, it's a browser issue and not much we can do about it... The only scenario that will fix it is to hit the "remember me" box when logging in. If that doesn't work, you've got bigger issues I'm afraid.

Ryan Cochran

"Skating the same line since 1976..."
.................................................. ....
www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com
Old 01-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
CURIOUS RASH
Classified's Moderator

Just an idear... This question pops up once every week or two. Probably because the default thread view is set to one week.

If we clean up the stickies and post this as one it will stay where people can see it.

I'm thinking one photo post sticky would be good considering most don't bother to read it anyway.....
online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #11
Ryan
Administrator

Good idea... which photo post is the best one? I'm so out of that world, I wouldn't know...

Ryan Cochran

"Skating the same line since 1976..."
.................................................. ....
www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com
Old 01-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #12
CURIOUS RASH
Classified's Moderator

They're all good but the "photo posting both ways" should cover it.

If we just "unsticky" the others they will still be available via search function.

We could also add a link to the others in the one we keep.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:04 PM   #13
CURIOUS RASH
Classified's Moderator

Default Re: HOW TO: Staying logged in...

Alright, I'm on the pic post thing. It will take a few days to sort it all out.

Hope no one minds I changed the title to this one so it's more readily apparent what it's about...
Old 01-31-2008, 09:16 AM   #14
Tony
Alliance Member

It's fine by me...and i've been using the remember me feature with good luck so far.
Thanks for the tip's guy's.
Tony

-Chili Phil-

Old 06-22-2008, 07:56 PM   #15
ALLEY RAT
FNG

ummm.. how come i cant post a reply in the art archieve, Ryan?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:57 PM   #16
Hot Rod Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Any one have issue's with automatically logging off the HAMB when creating a new post?
I'm not the fastest typer, so when i reply to a thread sometime's it take's me a while if it's a longer reply, when i hit the submit button, rather than posting my reply, i am sent to a page to log in again....i'm sure it's because there was no movement on the board for a certain amount of time.....but it's a pain in the ass, ESPECIALLY when i'm creating a post with pics.
Then i have to start over...and sometime's i just can't because of time.
I searched around my account and can't find anywhere for a log in time setting...
I've noticed this since the last changes made on here a while back, but never questioned it before..Now, i'm thinking of starting a thread on my truck, and i know i'll be logged out before i'm done....
So, is there a place to adjust the log in time so it dosn't log me out so fast?

Thanks.
Tony
This was also happening to me, so I just started copy all of my post before I post it. This way, if it auto logs me out, which it will, I still have my work saved in the temp memory of my computer. Then after I log back in, I simply paste and post.

Its a duct tape fix for sure, but it works.
Michelle
Old 03-31-2009, 08:36 PM   #17
Rand Man
Old School HAMBer

I just posted about this, sorry, I didn't notice the sticky. I don't want this computer to remember me. Will it rememer me until I clear the history or cookies?
Old 04-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #18
White Brothers

I have a question regarding staying logged in. On my upstairs PC, I had to switch browsers from Internet Explorer to AOL Top Speed or some-such. Now when I type my log-in info, it says I didn't log in, yet I can go to a thread and it will say that I am logged in, only to log me back out when I return to the main board AND it won't let me access the Social Groups and will not allow me to log in.....can someone help me?

Brian
Old 06-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #19
Yellowrr

Yep! Same thing has been happening to me. I typed up a nice reply to the post about "auto parts store horror stories" and when I hit "preview post" it ALL went away to cyber-heaven (or hell, I suppose).

I had it happen at work last week (using Internet Explorer AND having the "remember me" box checked, AND made sure that my username was in the upper right corner of the page next to the "Welcome...") but I passed it off as something that our IT police had in place.

I have Firefox at home, and the "remember me" never works on the HAMB or on my iGoogle home page (which might actually be a good thing for your personal info).

I've resorted to doing exactly what the others have suggested. When I type the last line and proof read it, I hold down CONTROL and hit the letter A (which selects everything) and then right click on top of it and select COPY. THEN I can press either "Submit Reply" or "Preview Post". If it kicks me off, then (re?)logging in and right clicking inside the box and selecting PASTE (or using CONTROL and pressing V for PASTE) makes it come back. Although I haven't tried it with photos and attachments at the same time.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:44 PM   #20
51wagon
Alliance Member

It just happened to me for about the fourth time, so I was just about to ask what I was doing wrong and then I found this thread. I'll try some of the hints, but I am using Firefox, so I might still have problems.

Thanks!

No good deed goes unpunished.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:12 AM   #21
gearhead143
FNG

This is defiantly a IT problem. I to am a slow typer and it takes me a while to put a post together. I belong to several forums that have this format , but one difference is, when I click on post it switches to a window and asks for my login I login and it takes me back to the thread and my post is there. There is a fix but it is on the IT side.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #22
Rathbone
Grenade Inspector

This is super aggrivating. It's not just when posting but browsing as well. It only happens on this site.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #23
flatheadjunk
Member Emeritus

Hi guys
I know I have been in trouble in the past ( for good reason ) but wondered if there could be some type of feedback in regards to people selling stuff.I know you only police alliance vendors, but I think,for what it's worth,maybe some type of feedback could be utilized to assure members that who they are dealing with is here for the same reason,which is to help each other.Let me know if I am out of line.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #24
Rotobo
FNG

I resort to the Copy and paste. When I edit my spelling which which takes considerable time and hit submit I run out of time,,,I quess.
If I hurry typing aint nobody gonna be able to read it so it's either, do it in another program and copy and paste or redo it here by copy and paste. Who knows? someday I may say something important and I want it to be correct.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #25
Country Gent
BANNED

I'll join the club. Just happened to me again while I was wanting to add my 2 cents. PAIN IN THE ASS!!! I'm trying the REMBER ME FIX right now.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #26
Country Gent
BANNED

Well I'll be damned! It worked!! Thanks to you guys who came up with the REMEMBER ME fix. Hopefully I won't have to destroy my computer in the future. Thanks
Old 04-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #27
racerboy79
Grenade Inspector

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE, I will give all your ideas a try. Unfortunately I'm not too proficient with computers. I'm often tempted to "tune mine up" with a sledge hammer out of frustration. I'll let you know what works and what does'nt. RB79
Old 04-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #28
silent rick
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerboy79 View Post
THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE, I will give all your ideas a try. Unfortunately I'm not too proficient with computers. I'm often tempted to "tune mine up" with a sledge hammer out of frustration. I'll let you know what works and what does'nt. RB79
first of all, the little drawer thingy is not a cup holder.

must ride on fender.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:25 AM   #29
W E Mack
FNG

Happened to me couple hours ago. Aggravating to say the least! Remember me doesn't seem to work. Hey Yellowrr, your idea and H R Michelles sound good, but I know dookie about computers. I'm usin' roomates, he showed me how to start it, said " Hit it, fat boy " and moved to the other side of the state. Soo... I have no idea how to do what you two said. What should me and the other illiterates do?

P.S.: Hey Racer Boy, I can't find my sledge. When you're done "tunin' up yours" wanna' come over and help me "tune up" mine?

Last edited by W E Mack; 08-17-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:48 AM   #30
40fordtudor

Smile Re: HOW TO: Staying logged in...

This is probably horribly wrong, but as I read thru this thread I realized----I never log out. I log off the computer when I'm done on the HAMB and the next time I bring it up in favorites and hit NEW POSTS. I must be doing something wrong that's working. ??????????????????
Old 11-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #31
snowdrifter
FNG

Before you hit the reply button open another page. if you have been kicked of, log back in than go back to your post and submit it.
86 corvette rear end
5 spd TKO 600
Old 09-14-2012, 04:43 AM   #32
PA-IndianRider
Grenade Inspector

Mine will do that but only after a VERY LONG time of no activity or when going to another browser to go to another website or to check my e-mail or whatever before finishing my HAMB post.

Usually it's because I have something else to do, get a phone call or some else that distracts me from what I was in the middle of...... PLUS there is also CRS to take into account.

Sad part sometimes when that happens I can LOSE ALL of the data I had spent time to type.

The way I prevent this from happening is to "copy" what I have done..... then I "paste" the data, pics, etc into a "draft" file in my e-mail account. There it stays.... "safe & sound" until I have time to finish-up what I was doing. Then I simply go to the "saved draft" COPY it again ..... come back to HAMB & paste it.

Sounds like a hassle...... but it is better than losing the data you may have worked on for a long time before posting.

But then I have also just gone ahead and just posted "shorter versions" of what I am working on and at the end of it say..... "MORE LATER"

....Or in the infamous words of The ARNOLD "I'll be BACK"!!!!!

Hope this helps.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #33
boberman
BANNED

I am not aware of this fact because I am fresher. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #34
carmuts

I only have this problem when I first log in if I have been using my i-phone for a couple of days in between visits I have to re-enter everything to log in. Not really a problem after that unless I again have to be on the go for another couple of days. Likely with one of the potential jobs I am trying to get it will get worse as i will only be home about 3 days a week, so I will just have to live with it. Rod
Old 12-01-2012, 06:05 AM   #35
deluxe32
Alliance Member

OK kids..try this...on Internet Explorer -> go to Tools -> Internet Options and make sure Delete browser history on exit is not checked, click Apply and then OK. Hope this helps - Monty
Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #36
Styleliner
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe32 View Post
OK kids..try this...on Internet Explorer -> go to Tools -> Internet Options and make sure Delete browser history on exit is not checked, click Apply and then OK. Hope this helps - Monty
But then the wife will find my porn sites!!!

King Crimson
Old 06-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #37
34Larry

There are many other issues with this program. No back button to previous page for one and about a dozen others. Who ever set this up should take a class in how to develop a web site.
It really sucks for sure, but it is a great source of information and entertainment so I live with it.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #38
silent rick
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe32 View Post
ten years on the hamb without a problem. i did an update and somehow this box got checked and that's when my problem started. i could clear my cache daily, check the remember me box, i still would get logged off the hamb.
unchecking the "delete browser history on exit" box solved my problem. thanks

must ride on fender.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #39
lc34
FNG

I could log on automatic each time with when I turn on the HAMB sight --I left for a mouth --Know when I come on to HAMB I have to log in each time --Yes I check the remember me --Can any on help me --Thanks