Register now to get rid of these ads!

Porsches, VW's, an Olds, Oh My....AKA: My New Years Eve Weekend Adventure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodladycrusr, Jan 10, 2008.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

At the beginning of the trip I really had no plans of writing an adventure story, after all it was just a paint & parts relay/work on Big Olds weekend, nothing too exciting planned BUT this was one of those times where
    the beginning absolutely sucked and I thought for a few minutes the whole weekend was ruined BUT in the end, because of the misadventure, plans changed and the weekend turned out even better then planned.

So I guess the moral of the story is you just never know what’s going to happen no matter how well you plans things out. The important thing is just to roll with the punches and everything will work out for the best, sometimes even better!

Last Friday night after work I headed south to Earl Schieb’s place to work on Big Olds during the long holiday weekend. He’s there for some touchup paint work and other little things that need to get done before his big debut at the Detroit Autorama in March.

I’m in my daily driver ‘97 Grand Marque, my cop car as my pals call it, just listening to music and minding my own business when I feel what at first seemed like a flat tire. I’m doing about 65 MPH in the center lane of the freeway in downtown Dayton Ohio. Ah shit I say to myself as I now have to struggle with the steering wheel to get the car over to the right shoulder. As soon as I try to steer to the right I felt A LOT of drag on the wheel, like something was wrong with the brakes. Shit, it’s more then just a flat tire I say to myself. I get the car over without hitting anyone and without anyone hitting me.

I get out and look at my drivers front wheel…..this isn’t good….the wheel is 90 degrees to my front fender. I get back in my car and whip out my cell phone which has my good pal BlkTopBandit’s numbers programmed into it. He answered right away and I tell him whats going on. He said no sweat, I’m on my way. WITHIN 5 minutes he’s sitting in my car! I was still on hold with AAA when he arrived! What a pal!My hero!!
    [​IMG]

While we’re waiting for a flatbed he tells me he was just leaving work and was on his way to meet ModelABrian and Big Chief (who was visiting from Rochester, NY) at the bar. HOLY SMOKES…..this is turning into a party. We make a game plan, tow truck driver can drop my car off in his driveway and I can ride to the bar with him, spend the night and he’ll fix my car in the morning. He then called his wife….."Hey honey, is it OK if this chick I met on the internet stays the night tonight”? Lucky for me she was very cool with the situation.

Brian assessed that my tierod busted and it would be an easy fix. He offered me his truck right then and there to continue on to Earl Schieb’s place that night and told me he’d fix my car and I could just pick it up on my way back thru town after the weekend. What a sweetheart! I declined his offer though and called Earl Schieb to tell him what happened and that I’d be there on Saturday instead of late Friday night. (it’s a 9 hour drive from my place in Detroit to Mike’s place in Hartsville, TN).

AAA came and BlkTopBandit supervised the loading of my car.
    [​IMG]

I paid the driver for the tow, because he had GPS he knew exactly how many miles it was to BTB place so we did not have to following him there. It’s funny, as we were sitting at the bar, BTB got a call from his neighbor that a tow truck was in his driveway. Getting along with your neighbors so that when something unusual happens, you get a phone call, is a wonderful thing.

We head to the bar and shortly after we arrive BTB’s wife arrived and so did ModelABrian and Big Chief. Hugs all around. It was GREAT to see everyone and have the opportunity to hang out and chat hot rods, reminisce about last summer’s event experiences and make plans for the up coming cruzn season. Tried to call HulaZombie to join us but his voicemail kicked in. What could have been an AWFUL night has turned into a GREAT evening spent with car pals.

Left to right
    BigChief, Me, BlkTopBandit and ModelABrian. (BTB’s wife did not want to be in the photo)
    [​IMG]

Said our goodnights and headed to BTB. Sat around the kitchen table for awhile longer and chatted some more, quite late into the night as a matter of fact.
    At 8:30 the next morning HulaZombie was pounding at the door. It was wonderful seeing him again. Would have been a bummer coming to town and not being able to see him. (he missed the memo that we weren't getting up early that morning:D )

Brian and Bill headed out to my car while I brushed my teeth and got dressed, in my coveralls cuz I WAS planning on helping BUT by the time I got out there Brian had the busted piece off.
    [​IMG]

Brian had the local NAPA store on speed dial and determined they had the piece we needed. While he’s talking to the parts guy I check out his new ride. The rest of his fleet was in storage down in the barn.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We head there in Bill’s super cool wagon.
    [​IMG]

Once back, ModelABrian and BigChief show up to “help”
    [​IMG]

How many HAMB guys does it take to change out a tie rod end?
    [​IMG]

Here’s where it gets very cool. HulaZombie mentions that he has plans to head downtown to this guys warehouse that is full of cars and would we like to go. Are you kidding??? I’m so there. Brian hops in my car for the ride there to make sure everything is OK before I continue to head south later in the day and we all follow Bill in the wagon there.

Once there we were greeted by our host John Dixon and everyone introduced themselves. We stood around and chatted for abit then John started showing us around his 23,000 square foot warehouse. It's his private collection and not opned to the public on a daily bases BUT he does have it listed with a party planner so that large groups can rent it out for functions. Holds 600 people for a party. I need to fall in love with a guy who wants to have his wedding reception here.:D
    [​IMG]

This exact car is going to be placed on the roof and used as a sign/marker for the building
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The artwork on the walls was incredible and the cars he used in these scences are REAL. I should add that he didn't "ruin" perfectly good cars for these murals. If a car's rear was smashed he used the front half, if a car's front end was totaled he used the rear, etc....you get the picture.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BlktopBrian on the left, HulaZombie, Bill on the right playing Vanna
    [​IMG]

Not every car was completed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Even the bathrooms were “decorated”
    [​IMG]

The pearl paint on this one was stunning and I’m not even a pearl paint loving girl.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He didn’t talk about this one at all, kinda looks like something that might race on the Salt
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We all followed John like sheep, hanging on every word
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the many boys pottys….yes, I went in:D
    [​IMG]

Ceiling of one of the girls john
    [​IMG]

Mid artwork and we can see where this is going huh?:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He had a couple of tractors
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a helicopter engine too
    [​IMG]

This is pretty rare from what John was saying. I guess it’s one of only two and the other one was destroyed.
    [​IMG]

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really don’t know one model from another
    [​IMG]

He then took us upstairs….yep, there was a second level. Amazing place.
    Alittle lounge area at the top of the stairs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we walked thru this door
    [​IMG]

I stood in the doorway of the game room with my mouth gaped open
    [​IMG]

Three pool table, pinball machines, dart boards, old arcade games, foolsball and air hockey. The place was incredible. You name the game, he has it there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

If you wanted a quick ride down
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The boys bathroom upstairs
    [​IMG]

Back downstairs we then came upon this. A 1957 Cerrera GT Speedster
    #12 of 42 built in 1957 and one of 12 with this body configuration
    Factory steel hardtop.
    This particular four cam has original matching numbers engine and transmission, Nardi wheel, factory rollbar, GT fuel tank, race kit and date stamped alloy wheels
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right in front of the Speedster was a 1981 924 Cerrera GTS. One of 7 ever made I think John said.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From what John said he does not believe anyone else has these three rare cars all in the same collection.
    [​IMG]

A 2004 Cerrera GT
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was hard to get a good rear shot of this car because of it’s location
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here were if you don’t care for VW’s you should just skip ahead
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The metalwork on this thing was outstanding
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So John says, hop in, try it on for size
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me looking out the windshield
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I think there were like 3 or 4 bars thoughout the whole place
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back toward the “lobby” area
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ANOTHER boys restroom
    [​IMG]

On the bathroom door
    [​IMG]

A closeup of some artwork
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

By now it’s getting late and I’ve still got a 6 hour drive ahead of me to Mike’s place in TN, so I thank our host for his warm hospitality and promise to return. John is an AWSOME guy with a wonderful sense of humor and I’m so thankful to HulaBill for inviting us along on his adventure. I LOVE making new friends.
    [​IMG]

Out in the parking lot I say goodbye to the guys and head out southbound
    [​IMG]

Come across this cool trailer
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quick stop for some scrapbook goodies just north of Mike’s place
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Once I arrived in Mike’s town of Hartsville I went straight to his shop. He had just been working on his current project.
    [​IMG]

Mike called HAMB lurker JollyRoger and we all made plans to head to a BBQ place in Bowling Green.
    [​IMG]

It was very nice sitting around and catching up with pals I don’t get to see to often. GREAT evening!
    Mike and his girlgriend Lisa on the left, Roger in the center and his wife Gina next to him, I’m on the right (for the newbies)
    [​IMG]

The next morning Mike and I headed over to the shop to work on Big Olds. Mike had picked up some stainless beltline trim hoping one piece would be the one to fit the passenger door but no luck SO he used a part of one of the pieces to make a couple of other parts. Big Olds was missing the little center pieces, up and down, on the windshield surround SO Mike just made them out of stainless.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time for a commerical break……
    Anyone have the mirrors that fit in these two hole on the vents?
    [​IMG]

What about the pieces that hold the visors (4 pieces total, two on each side)
    [​IMG]

While Mike was at it he decides the center section needs cleaning up as well and makes one outta stainless.
    [​IMG]

While we are deciding on things I mention to him that I really can’t see outta my rear view mirror with the top up. The new back window is at such an angle that I only can see a couple of feet behind the car SO Mike comes up with this great idea to flip the center piece that the mirror attaches to which lowers the mirror dramatically and WA-LA I can see behind me……
    [​IMG]

…that and the fact that it LOOKS cool low on the dash like this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We take a break for lunch and on the way back check these out. Yes Chad, this is just sitting here waiting for you.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Back to the shop AND back to work. Mike drills a large hole in the stainless where the mirror attachment point is located. I had never seen a drill bit like this. Mike is good about answering questions that I might ask. He’s a wonderful teacher.
    [​IMG]

Did a few more little things then headed back to take showers. We then headed over to Pappastoys for dinner. He’s building a new shop so once we arrived we checked it out by headlights
    [​IMG]

Once inside we hugged our hosts and then headed out to the attached garage to see his latest project. He bought it from a HAMBer but I don’t remember who. It’s a very SOLID car.
    [​IMG]

And came with lots of extra parts
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ate a very, very yummy home cooked meal and got caught up with their family news. PapasToys has display cases all over the house with the coolest old toys.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had desert, chatted a bit more then bid our hosts goodnight. Thanks so much to PapasToys and his LOVELY wife for their charming and warm southern hospitality.

The next morning Mike and I once again headed to the shop. I took a quick tour outside checking out all his projects, yes, Mike’s projects, the KING of projects. I should have counted, but I would have had to have taken off BOTH shoes there were so many.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Way ugly…what was he thinking?? Mike like to buy/trade for ugly projests that someone else started and TRY to turn them into swans.
    [​IMG]

Not all his projects are cars
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of Mike’s pals stopped by. Nice guy, nice car
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of display cases in Mike “lounge” area
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then had to get to work on sanding the garnish moldings. Mike had this stuff that was so cool, I forget what it’s called but it was a dry guide coat insead of spraying it, kinda like a powder that stuck but didn’t clog the sandpaper. Very cool.
    [​IMG]

Mike was preping the car and steering column for paint
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was getting nervous……..painting that close to my new interior
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

He then moved to all those freshly sanded pieces
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also in Mikes shop
    [​IMG]

Before we leave for the day we check out the underside of the hood. I’m FORCING Mike to help me finish it. He REALLY doesn’t want to take the hood off the car (HUGE pain in the butt) BUT it needs to be done.
    [​IMG]

It’s New Years Eve and we’re having Roger and Gina over for a quite evening at home with good friends and food. I can’t think of any other way I’d rather spend bringing in the new year.
    [​IMG]

We even got alittle sideshow from Lisa grandson
    [​IMG]

Next morning I needed to leave for home but Mike and I headed over to the shop to discuss some dash stuff
    [​IMG]

Steering column looks AWESOME compared to before
    [​IMG]

We talk about vent placement
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And where and how to mount the CD player
    [​IMG]

I bolt the freshly painted trunk lid holder back in place.
    [​IMG]

We said our sad goodbyes and I hit the road heading south. About an hour into the trip, when I reached I-65 just north of Bowling Green, the freeway was at a standstill and was bumper to bumper to just south of L’ville! What a PAIN IN THE BUTT!
    [​IMG]

A few hours later when I hit Cinci it was black ice and cars all over the road and smashed into each other. AWFUL snow and ice all the way home. A normal 9 hour trip took 11 hours and was a whiteknuckle ride for about half the time. :eek:

At least I wasn’t traveling in Big Olds!:D

11. ratstar

ratstar

Cool looking stuff! Weird looking HAMBers!

12. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

i know where that scrap book village is.

...oops,,did i just say that outloud?! :eek: haha

thnaks for sharing all the porsche pics :)

13. old wood 51

old wood 51
    from NAPA CA.

Your cars coming along nice, great porsche pics, your friend Mike has quite a project collection too... that 356 limo is the shizznit:D...and the 356 sedan delivery to cool. :eek: 9 hr. ride to work on your car now thats deadicated! makes me fell really lazy because I only walk 20 ft. to work on mine.
    Brian.

14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Cool shit, Denise. Thanks for another great adventure!

I had heard that you've been driving that far on weekends to help work on Big Olds. Dedication and craziness, all in one. That's cool.

Malcolm

15. Great story Denise. it just goes to show how much richer life is with the HAMB.

Funny, When I saw the first shot of the column of Big Olds in this thread, I thought "man, she needs to get that painted" ha ha....

16. malkintent

malkintent

your post's are one of the few i always read all the way through.
    you should quit working and just drive around the county writing.
    and workin on the crusr!!
    mal

17. LabRat

LabRat

thankyou again for a wonderful insight of your travels hotrodladycrusr !!

18. chaddilac

chaddilac

Hey Denise, which takes longer: your trips or putting these threads together!!!

You obviously pay attention to detail... nice thread!

19. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

:eek::eek::eek:!!!!!

...and i want one of those 59 ElCaminos too!! ;)

20. old beet

old beet

Denise, yous one lucky girl!!! Not lucky just good!!!!!!!!!!!.......OLDBEET

21. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

i count at least a three million dollar collection!
    how can someone with that much money have so little taste?
    those murals and the decorating are really, really awful. sorry, had to be said.

22. BigChief

BigChief

To each his own........Remember, this started out as just a warehouse that he needed to stick a part of his car collection in. It just so happens that its car-guy/gal and user friendly and he's sharing it with people. Note the lack of ropes, stansions and barriers around some seriously rare and expensive pieces. The automotive experience is encouraged rather than hidden from the public or roped off and alarmed.

You really needed to see it in person and you needed to be up on your political, automotive and historical times, events and personalities to get the most enjoyment out of the satirical art work that saturated the place. ALOT of thought went into the art and the layout ......and, hey...its all his. Everybody doesn't need to dig it or understand it. Denise caught the flavor of the place and there is SOOOOO much more to see.

It was WELL work the trip.

-Bigchief.

23. blktopbandit

blktopbandit

Thanks Denise, glad we could get ya back on the road, next time ya want to spend the night with me you won't have to stage a breakdown.;) You know it takes a pretty special person to turn a breakdown 4 hours away from home, into an adventure for the best. Karma baby, Karma.
    Johns place was a real inspiration, glad we got to meet him the way we did, PLENTY of style and class.
    And it looks like i should have went with you to Mikes place, some cool stuff for sure.

24. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Dang, you rolled right through my neck of the woods (Cincinnati 75-S into Kentucky bridge is about 5 min from me). Where is that Porsche "museum" at as I'd like to call it. I'm a HUGE German car fan myself (BMW M3 daily driver ---runs away now and hides hahaha---), does he allow people to check it out by any chance? I'd LOVE to see that collection.

25. Wow,what an "Accidental Adventure". That is one serious "Guy Garage",even if the cars are "furren", cool place. I thought this should be "da Ghost Busters" German edition. LOL Thanks once again Denise(HAMB Ambassador)

Attached Files:

26. Bookz

Bookz

I was wondering exactly the same. If someone did that to a collection of 30's Fords everyone on here would be wanting to burn them at the stake........also largely way off topic. Don't get me wrong I love and have owned several Porsches but they certainly don't belong on here. This is mean't to be about traditional hot rodding.

27. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

So I guess this officially puts me in the 'chopped liver' catagory... That's fine, I can live with that.

Vance

28. its amazing ,you can turn a road trip to work on your car into an adventure! what happens when you go to the super market????

29. never a dull moment thanks for the story and pics denise..:D

30. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Hey Denise,don't worry about the whinging oz and Kiwi guy...I love the pics and the murals are really quite fitting! in the 'Kent Bash " school I'd say.. I really think I'll have to make that pilgrimage over there now seeing as I know I'll have a kool guide...:rolleyes:...Cheers!!!!:):D