Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech: How to make a recess in sheetmetal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T McG, Jan 8, 2008.

1. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

This project is useable for just about any shape you want to do, but in this case, I needed an oval recess for a Painless door contact, because there was not enough room for both contact halves between the jam and the door. The thickness of material will vary depending on how deep you need to go, but for this one, I needed 1/8". I used steel, but you could also use aluminum depending on how many parts you want to make. The first pic shows the contact.

[​IMG]

What you need is a male and female die. I made the bottom out of 1/4", and cut the opening with a hole saw and file.

[​IMG]

The top die I made from 1/8" again the depth I needed to go. I also used another piece of 1/8 ( should have been thicker) for the backing plate, which will be the piece you are going to push with as well as flatening the surrounding metal as it streches.

[​IMG]

The next pic shows that the hole is bigger than the die, which will give the metal a place to go. You need the opening to be at least twice the metal thickness. The more gap you give it, the rounder the outer edge will be.

[​IMG]

I start by laying the metal under the bottom die, and square up two edges for reference. I then mark the hole onto the metal.

[​IMG]

Then, I put the metal on top of the bottom die and square up the two edges again. (where my fingers are) This now places the scribed hole directly over the opening. Now you can lay the top die within the scribed hole, lay the backing plate on top of that and give it a push in the press. You can do this in a vice, but it takes a lot of squeeze.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If all goes well, it should look something like this.

[​IMG]

After some carefull measuring, welding, grinding and painting, you should have a recess that looks like it belongs there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Very clean, think I'll copy it.

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That is very simple and usable....thank you.

4. great post!!!

5. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

sweet! simple but cool.

6. gmgrunt

gmgrunt

very clever indeed!!

7. This is a great idea, to inset lights in Dash panels as well. Maybe you would not have to cut & weld the piece in, for instance a Model a panel below the windshield & above the gas tank

8. OLLIN

OLLIN

wow, that looks great! simple yet efficeint tech.

9. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

great tech,,thanks

10. silent rick

silent rick

looks straight forward. what about different thicknesses? ever run across something that might require heat or lubricant?

11. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

12. Brian W

Brian W

This is great Terry!
    I really like how, in your particular application, the recessed contact matches the recess on the door hinges. It really gives it that "factory look". It's all in the details, plus it solved a problem!

[​IMG]

13. freiertpc

freiertpc

and you can do it in any shape or size same principles apply i'm gonna use it for some gauges

14. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

It will work with any thickness, but you would have to use heat for anything over 14 gauge, (or a really big press) and as I mentioned the thicker the metal the more clearance between the top & bottom die. You could do it without the cut & paste method I used by using a bolt through the top & bottom dies, but for 16-18 gauge it would need at least a 3/8 bolt, and I didn't have that much room. It would also weaken the top die by quite a lot. I have done it for dash knobs, and it looks really good.

15. old wood 51

old wood 51
    from NAPA CA.

Very cool indeed, I was wondering if something like that would actually work. I'm gonna make one for myself.

16. That is cool. HAHAHAHA you took a pic of your finger.

17. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

You mean this finger? Ha Ha Ha

[​IMG]

18. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Hmmm, I could use two of those recess pieces and it seems almost silly for me to spend time making those dies so....

How much? :D

19. BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA that is priceless. I am so printing that pic and hanging on the wall in the shop.

20. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Awesome! Now if I just had a press like that...

21. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

I never would have thought of that I would have peened it in with a hammer and mudded it up hahaha. cool post.

22. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

Its so simple.... i swear I learn something new here everyday! Some of them seem so obvious too. I love this place.

23. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Terry, that is cool! Especially when you finish with something that makes normal people go "howdy do it?!"!!

This finger?! Hahahahaaaaaaaa

24. Noland

Noland

looks very nice but I already have a tool for recessing metal Its called a big ass hammer:D

25. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Would smacking the die set with a hammer get the same result as using a press?

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great tech!! Thanks for sharing!

27. Paul

Paul
    Editor

thread copied to Tech Archives

28. budd

budd

heres some pics of emboss tooling i made, the first is of my company logo, the parts were punched out on a turret punch press and assembled using 1/8" pins and plug welded from the rear, the second is of a bay window for a gas fireplace, the emboss was to give the effect of the part being a cast iron piece.

Attached Files:

• v1.JPG
      v1.JPG
      File size:
      26.6 KB
      Views:
    • v2.JPG
      v2.JPG
      File size:
      33.4 KB
      Views:
    • v3.JPG