Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 12-31-2007, 02:25 PM   #21
brianangus
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: Garlits Was A Cowboy

Thanks---Damn, I want to be 20 years old again!!! I want to be there, in the pits, feeling that hot, hot, sun, smelling the fuel and the burning rubber. The waves of sheer unGodly NOISE of of engines with open headers winding up---I want---I want---
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:14 PM   #22
haroldd1963
Alliance Member

Terrible Music?!?!? That music is awesome!!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 03:16 PM   #23
Ryan
Administrator

I'm not really into "hot rod" music of any generation to be honest with you...

In any case, I thought the footage and the words by Don were the highlights...

Ryan Cochran

"Skating the same line since 1976..."
.................................................. ....
www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-31-2007, 03:47 PM   #24
zzford

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodPaint.com View Post
Thanks for the video.

I don't have many heros, but Garlits is one of the few who qualify. He did it all...developed his own engines, chassis, drove the tow truck and the race car, developed new technologies, one of the first touring pros, reshaped the sport, etc., etc., etc.

Being chosen the #1 most important guy in NHRA racing, I guess other fans share my admiration.

My favorite story was when someone said he could no longer compete in NHRA racing....so he came back and won the Championship.

I don't know what he is like on a personal level, but he knows what commitment and determination is, and has been willing to pay whatever price was necessary!..............Da Man!
I've met Big Daddy on a couple of occasions and he impressed me as being a real nice, down to earth guy. One winter day my wife and I, along with the kids went to see my mom in Ocala. My son Bryan, about 4 years at the time, and I went to Garlets museum. When we got there, the place was pretty deserted. It looked like it might have been closed. We found a bay door open so we went in. Don and a young guy were there working on Don's race car. He came up and shook our hands and had the other guy give us a guided tour of the museum. I bought a souviner aluminum rod that he had autographed, that had come out of one of his engines. The price? A princely $5.00! Before leaving, Don kindly let me take a photo of him holding my son. He later autographed the photo at a race in West Palm Beach, and said that he remembered the encounter. I have been to his museum a couple of times since and it is much bigger now. If any of you other gearheads are in Florida at any time, the museum is a must see. In fact, if a choice has to be made, skip Disney World. I'm sure the wife and kids will understand.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:11 PM   #25
JOECOOL

Sometime in the 80's I was in Kansas City at the nationals and Gartlits was there. We watched him grenade every time he came up for qualifying. As the Sat night session was winding down we went over to observe.
When we walked up it looked like someone had died. Garlits called all of his crew over and told them" I know you want to go to the motel and relax.But we came here to win and if we leave this car here in pieces we will never get motivated enough in the morning to get up and get it together. Now lets all do what we came here for and I'll let you sleep in in the morning." Not one person said anything they started scrambling on the car.
We came back in the morning and they rolled the car out of the trailer and ran good .I think I would have liked working with him,knowing him, and learning from him.

To me he is a hero .
Old 12-31-2007, 04:30 PM   #26
Mercmad

Quite a few years ago there were very few Early hemi's being built or still being run In Australia( or anywhere else as it happened),the only guy , apart from Bob Walker, who could help with Advice was Don Garlits.
A truly nice guy .

but I am more impressed with Shirley Muldowny...whooooa... hot!!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 05:27 PM   #27
Roothawg
Old School HAMBer

I read that Don had a new/retro dragster for exhibitions and fun, now that he is retired. I would love for him to show up at the hamb drags.

He'd prolly do it if all the star-struck crowd would just let him be himself and have fun....
Old 12-31-2007, 06:15 PM   #28
Royalshifter

Never can get enough of them old clips....Thanks Ryan
Old 12-31-2007, 06:38 PM   #29
independentcustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roothawg View Post
I read that Don had a new/retro dragster for exhibitions and fun, now that he is retired. I would love for him to show up at the hamb drags.

He'd prolly do it if all the star-struck crowd would just let him be himself and have fun....
There's a feature on his newest dragster in the new Hot Rod, I believe. It has a new 392 in it, looks kinda odd but bitchin at the same time.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:48 PM   #30
Jdee

I posted these not to long ago. Don's new Rat Rod
Said he is building much like one of his earlier cars he used to race around the area..
They were having fun fitting new rubber and glass when i was there a few months ago.

Jdee

And an early car from inside...
Old 12-31-2007, 06:55 PM   #31
Lobucrod
Alliance Member

There's nothing wrong with that music, Reminds me of the pre-FM days. Garlits is Da Man. With out him the sport wouldnt be where it is today.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:00 PM   #32
bustingear

Garlits IS a cowboy. He is still around.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:05 PM   #33
G V Gordon
Old School HAMBer

Actually I believe he was a gunslinger. Rolled into town, gunned down the local hero and rode into the sunset. The stuff ledgends are made of for sure!

www.vagabonds.cc

http://www.pinheadlounge.com/gvgordon

Are fake bull scrotums on Chrysler produced pickup trucks considered "Dodge Balls"
Old 12-31-2007, 07:11 PM   #34
pasadenahotrod
Old School HAMBer

I spoke to Don Garlits several times years ago when he was buying parts from Specialized Auto Parts in Houston to build a 37 Ford pickup (either one he had owned or one to replicate one he had owned in the day). We discussed parts for a while, he decided what he wanted, then began to give his name and address "Yeah, that's Don Garlits...". I wrote it all down and asked, "Are you THE Don Garlits as in BIG DADDY?". He replied, "Well, some folks call me BIG DADDY but most just call me Don."
Old 12-31-2007, 08:22 PM   #35
pitman
Old School HAMBer

I met Don at the New England track when he was racing in '71. A nicer fellow you could not have met. Thanks Ryan for bringing back some good old times!
Old 12-31-2007, 09:42 PM   #36
SamIyam
Old School HAMBer

I have his book where he tells a lot of his stories on the road... very neat book.

One of my favorite stories is when he switched to the new 426 hemi... and when the car wouldn't run 200... he started advancing the timing. His guys wouldn't even stand next to the thing!

Great book.

Sam.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:45 PM   #37
stillkruzn

Great clip... to me Don Garlits is drag racing... I remember watching him and Muldowny, Kalitta. Good memories...
Old 12-31-2007, 09:49 PM   #38
Bad Bob
Old School HAMBer

Gotta respect a guy who would try anything to win and advance the sport.

Townsend Customs and Hotrods
951-833-1835
Old 12-31-2007, 10:18 PM   #39
Ned_Gob

Old 01-01-2008, 06:56 AM   #40
olcurmdgeon
Alliance Member

Boy this clip brings back memories! Late 50s, Dover Dragstrip in Wingdale, NY. I first laid eyes on Don Garlits. He was towing race car on an open trailer with a Dodge pickup. When I spoke to him, he was eating fried chicken alongside the pickup waiting for eliminations! Good times back them, run what you brung, built it yourself.