Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why only 1964???

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by bcharlton, Dec 31, 2007.

1. bcharlton

bcharlton
    from Buffalo NY

Why do we we consider traditional hot rods only until 1964 and not there after? I saw a thread from yesterday and pictures of a 70s muscle car see to cause quite a stir.

Please enlighten me.

BC

2. Scott K

Scott K

Built it vs. bought it.

The muscle cars created an era where anyone with a checkbook could go fast.....and marked the start of everything begininning to look the same. No skills required.

3. ^ good answer
    [/thread]

4. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Yep, post 65 definately brought on a new look, a boxier look. Well, the muscle car era more than not.

5. Exactly what I was going to say...

6. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I don't really understand why '64's are included? Brings in GTO's, Mustangs etc.
    Not that I don't like muscle cars, just seems like '63 makes more sense if you are going to set a date.

7. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Both the GTO and Mustang were 64-1/2 models and are excluded from 64 and older events.
    If you go back a couple of years there were Mustangs at Back to the 50's because they were 64?? but MSRA cut out all Mustangs because 64-1/2 to 66 were all hard to tell apart for non mustang people.

8. 30roadster

30roadster

I'm pretty sure that the Lonestar Roundup and other similar shows cut off at 1962.

9. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I agree the main reason for "disdain" was started with 3 letters...G.T.O.
    The 64 1/2 mustang Chassis was already under many,many other cars. Hate them if you must, but a 64 Falcon...it's the same critter from the floors down. they were quick...but not G.T.O. fast.

10. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thats proly the best answer i have ever heard to that question...

11. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Well lets see....409's 413's 426 , 406 3x2 Fords etc All cars you could purchase before 1964. So the case for post 1964 being musclecars you could buy is crap. You could by then long before 1964

12. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

A strictly enforced year cutoff is dumb. Its the same kind of thinking that law enforcement/government uses to mass-judge a situation, instead of dealing with things on a case by case basis...
    A traditional hot rod show does not need a Mustang, '64 and a half or otherwise. but: A '65 Comet S/S car?
    well...that should be another story altogether...
    and MOST shows, realistically make these distinctions...

by the way, I love muscle cars too... but the don't need another forum for them...they already dominate ever other car show.

I know a lot of people who put an ASS-load of time/skill into working on them, though...not just writing checks.

The idea that that was the end of an era is correct.
    It marked the real begginning of "factory performance"
    although there were plenty of "over the counter" speed parts being used prior to that, as well...

13. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Hasn't this already been beat to death? How about - because that's how it is...

14. The Shocker

The Shocker

True ,but these powerplants were usually in heavy cars Impalas,Galaxey,etc.By the mid 60's auto makers started puttin these engines in lighter economy type bodies from the factory.Which is what hotroders were doing before.Getting a light coupe body and putting a larger engine in it to go fast.

15. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Anyone with a checkbook could ALWAYS go fast.

16. leadsled01

leadsled01

Alot of customs are newer than '64 and would fit in with this board.This board is for Rods and Customs. Hell even the Hot Rod Cinematic allows '65 in.

17. The Shocker

The Shocker

The cutoff date thing leaves alot of cool cars out in my opinion ,but that is the way it is.Thats why i bought a 61 Falcon Ranchero and made a gasser out of it.I wanted a gasser and i wanted i light car that i could drive everyday and still be able to attend events like the Day of the Drags and the Hamb Drags .I just made it in under the cutoff date to these events...

18. Terry

Terry

Because Ryan says so...=)

Really though, I know we follow the rule, but where does it say that here?

19. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Because I was born in 1965, and if it's older than me it deserves respect :D
    ........... and because Ryan says so. You gotta draw the line somewhere.

20. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

Frankly, I don't care. The only place it seems to matter is at a car show. Detroit was just responding to market data and demographics of the baby boom generation. For horsepower they took their cues from the hot rods and for looks they looked at the customs. What was the most common thing custom guys did to their cars? They shaved the hood and the trunk. If you look close that's when the hood ornaments started disappearing from factory cars.

21. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

From 1964 on, a lot of the hot rodders and builders were being sent to Vietnam, some came back, but things were different. Somewhere around '62 to '64 was the end of an era......

22. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

I see the cutoff and it is not just here, but the thought throughout the rodding world is that 1964 ushered in the pony car, Mustang, Camero, etc. I am sure you all remember the surge of 5.0 Mustangs and said" holy shit they are everywhere like belly buttons"

Same thing was true when it was introduced april 1964.

Just the same, Gasser Stangs, GTO, and mopars, Corvair (Traditional drag car style) are accepted here.

But the recent post about the 1974 Road runner got the crap beat out of it. I own several off topic "Muscle cars" but know that if I post them up I will catch shit. If a post pops up titled Show you 64 and up I will

My $.02

Dave

23. Rand Man

Rand Man

Cars and car attitudes changed along with many other things. The times were a-changing. The Beatles hit the U.S. in '64 and the beach Boys were on their way down. Beatniks turned into Hippies. Dylan would go electric. 1963 - 1966 were transitional years in cultural eras.

24. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Because that is the way that our host wants it. We are actually guests you know?

It's the same courtesy that I extend to the flathead board about my Chevy powered hot rod. I don't talk about it there. We have other places to talk about our other interests.

Besides...I like it this way too.:D

25. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Who said there is a 64 cutoff on the HAMB?

I think a lot of people confuse the 64 cutoff in the Classifieds as some sort of rule across the board. Not true. In the beginning we set the cutoff rule to get rid of one guy who insisted on being a PITA and wanted to argue that he should be able to list his cobbled up 65 more door whatever it was because there was no cutoff. So we set one and he went away. We then took the cutoff off but people liked it, especially because there are a lot of odd ball mid-late 60's cars that seemed to have no home on the internet and they wound up being listed here. They were neither Hot Rods or Customs, nor could they ever be.

So we put it back with the stipulation that anything newer could be posted with prior approval. Too much time wasted arguing with people with 68 whatsit granny wagons and we said screw it, 64 it is.

I'm a Chevy guy and cutting out 64 Chevies would not be good either. Yes, it's different than 63, every one of them were different year to year. But they did change drastically from the sled look of the 59-64.

So, yes, I agree. Setting a cutoff date is "stupid" but there is way stupider out there (is stupider a word?) and we had to draw the line in the sand somewhere.

Remember, as far as I know, the 64 cutoff only applies to the Classifieds and as Ryan says, this is not a classified site.

This is a board for HOT RODS and CUSTOMS. NOT "muscle cars" and "mullet rides" so don't get real upset when those posts go to crap.

26. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

I personally prefer events with 54 and older.

August 07 pleasanton went to 57 for the first time this year.
    I expected 5-6-7 restorer freaks but was pleasantly surprised
    by the turnout of 55 to 57 radical rods and customs.

27. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I like this answer better than my history lesson...

28. No offence (oh crap here I go) but that is the way it is for the host website, if you are into post 64 there is anouther site for that. Not that I dont look at a couple other sites with that type of material from now and than. (shame on me). This is what the site stands for and I happen to like it that way also. Now that thats done I can get on with spreading a little tradition on my HAMB sandwich!!!

29. metalshapes

metalshapes

I moved this Thread to the Q & S Forum.

About the '64 rule, thats for the Classifieds only.
    Not the Main Board.

What we ask for the Main Board is that the Posts are Relevant and On Topic.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44274

That CAN mean pre-'64, but sometimes it doesn't....

30. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

Kind of like all the model A's and 32"s around now, anyone with a checkbook can have one, and with a bigger checkbook they can go fast, and they all look the same, and most have to buy after market parts already built or have someone build it for them, no skills required. um? Now i'm in the process of building another car because i didn't want my 64 chevelle to annoy or disturb anyone, but mostly because i love Hamb and want to be apart of this group of misfits, but it still takes a checkbook!