Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lookin for v belt blower stuff.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Dec 19, 2007.

1. JimSibley

JimSibley

im wanting to run a 3 belt old style set up on my 471, sbc. Anyone make them?

2. JimSibley

JimSibley

Im also interested in 2 inch belts. I just dont want to do the modern 3 inch stuff.

3. Jim, The guy I got my 2" belt from just cut down a 3" belt. I really can't tell it was cut. Dyers had the 2" pulleys.

I did a bunch of looking for the v belt stuff and you really just have to stack some singles. A 1:1 wouldn't be that hard to put together which is about right for a 471 on a sbc anyway. I asked Don hampton for some help putting some v belt pulleys together and he didn't want to mess with it. Said it was too hard to get the tension the same in the different belts since they are always slightly different lenghts.

REJ on here just runs one v - belt and says it works fine.

Other boost ratios you'll be limited to what pully diameters you can come up with. I've seen dudes on here make their own pulleys on lathes but mostly just single V set ups for flatheads.

4. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

Great post, what the hamb is about!
    I to am interested in the 3 V belt set up! Im building a clone of the "Beatnik Bandit" and need the same set up that Roth used on the Olds motor. I Guess I'd have to make everything on my lathe and figure it out as I go along. some times doing it yourself is the easiest way to go
    FRITZ

5. http://www.uncommonengineering.com/

This guy makes all kinds of blower drive systems, mostly for flatheads, but that shouldn't matter if all your looking for is the drive pieces for a 4-71.

6. The S. Co. T on my 331 Caddy is V belt driven, (2 belt) works fine. I also have a Tom Beatty V belt drive (5 belt) 471 on a 331 Caddy I am assemblying, I lack the belt tensioner for it. Hope someone on here has something I can use as a pattern to make one. Am going to post some pics in the next couple of days as I get them. Later, Dave

7. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

V belt stuff is tough to find already made up, there are some pieces available that you need to modify to work but the best way is figure out your boost and pulley ratios and make or have a set made up on a lathe, as far as the lower pulley you can buy a sbc crank hub from BDS which is the right start, as far as matched tension on the belts I wouldn't worry about that to much unless you are building a screaming monster but to ease the mind you can go to Gates website and they have a section where you can buy matched belts, we have done this and have had no problems at all. 2 inch gilmore belts would be much easier of course and the 2" doesn't look bad either, there is defintley much more available even if you mill larger pulleys down like Tudor had stated. The best V-belt stuff i think to try and find was the Cragar stuff, also keep in mind what type if drive you use, if it has an early shaft the shaft may be tapered as well as keyed so watch what you buy to go on the drive.

8. banjorear

banjorear

I'm in the same boat. I'm watching this thread with interest. I call uncommon engineering over the summer. At that time, he was not interested in selling just drive pieces. He wanted to sell it as a package.

If he's changed his mind, that would awesome.

9. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I run 2 V belts. I used a SBC lower blower acc. pully. It took about 10 minutes in the lathe to modify it to work on the top, check my threads for it. It works great.

10. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Get in touch with Big Al's Toybox, he is located somewhere in Conn. and he also has a website.
    I got my v-belt pulley from him for my 471 blower, and the one he sent me is stackable. All you have to do is add longer bolts.
    I run up to 15 lbs of boost on a 225 slant and have never had the belt slip and I am only running one. I would suggest talking to him about how many you need, this guy knows blowers inside and out. You could probably get by with one on a small block, but I am not sure.
    You could always buy one pulley from him and if needed, get the second and add it on. Just make sure you allow enough room to do this.
    The pulley that I got from him is for the blower snout, I do not know if he makes them for the crank.

11. banjorear

banjorear

Good advise. I forgot about him.

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I was gonna mention matched belts...glad to hear they're still out there. Parts stores used to sell them for applications like flathead trucks that used stacked belts.
    You could do your own matching from a batch of belts using an old fashioned belt-measuring tool and a little care.

13. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Although I'm not using a roots type blower, here are my pulleys for my early paxton set up for an SBC. The grooves seem awfully narrow though for regular v-belts. They are only .3" per groove and .95" all the way across.

Attached Files:

14. JimSibley

JimSibley

wow,
    it looks like there are a lot of us in need. Maybe we should go in and have some machined up?

15. banjorear

banjorear

Count me in for a group deal thing for a 4-71 to a flathead.

16. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Dyers made my 2" set up for mine.I wasnt having much luck finding V belt parts and when talking to Don Hampton about it he told me 2 inch stuff was available and being used way backwhen so it would be period correct too

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Do the V-belt pulleys show anywhere on Big A'ls site, or are they secret stash/special order parts?? I could not find any V belt parts anywhere on there.

18. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

Years ago I would have to find matched belts by mold number for HVAC, In the last 15 years you have been able to buy belts without a mold number. I think you would be ok using Gates AX or BX size for your belts, depending on your pulleys.

19. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Bruce, I talked to Al and he was the one that told me about them. It may not be on his website, but I'm sure he still has them, give him a call.

20. BianchiCorp

BianchiCorp
    from East coast

Here Is A 3 Groove Set up Ment For A Sbc That I Addapted To A Caddy Had To Make My Own Water Pump Pulley And Spacer For The Crank Pulley

Attached Files:

• gh.JPG
      gh.JPG
      File size:
      71.5 KB
      Views:
  21. Beyond the pre-packaged kits from summit and jegs, most blower drive stuff is custom made in small shops. http://magnumsuperchargers.com/ talk to gary. He makes most of his drive stuff himself. I'm sure gary, or any other blower shop would make you a setup without a problem.

As far as tensioning multiple belts, when i worked in the HVAC field, we would often use 4 or 6 v-belts on a 200hp electric motor driving a fan. Standard practice and never an issue. The nice part is the thing could shred a belt or two and keep on going. Gilmer belts are far from weak, but once they shred, the system is done running. David

22. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I saw a small kit-built helicopter once with final drive composed of something like a dozen V-belts. This was something big enough to have a cabin, not an ultralight!

23. 31modelo

31modelo

Blowers by Dean is the guy to talk to. If you do a search his info is on here.He's workin with me on my Cragar SBC. Good guy to deal with.

24. Wesley

Wesley

Gates and Goodyear still have the mold/production run numbers on their belts. It may take some digging but you can still get matched belts from an auto parts store by matching the production run numbers. It helps if you are in an area that has a warehouse that supplies alot of parts stores and know someone behind the counter that has a little snap.

25. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rick Dean Blowers
    360 451 2119
    Washington state.

GREAT guy..He did my blower and drive (8mm stuff though)

Also..where is Kerry??? He made all his own V-belt stuff and would know the best way to do it.

Good luck, -Abone.

Here is a shot of Kerry's V drive.

26. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

Ah hell, this aint goona be easy is it, LOL Would anyone out there be kind enough to lend me a snout & tension arm so I could copy them? would you copy or make 'em for me??? I'll figure the pulleys out myself.
    FRITZ

27. beatnik

beatnik

you can't have too many belts

Attached Files:

28. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

Look at Dyers like said before Bill was going to make me a full set of V-belt pulleys but then I found a Delta drive, a Isky drive, and a Cragar drive all 2 inch belt. All within a couple months of each other lucky I guess. Has anyone seen Delta pulleys. They are a sum bitch to get.