Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical BODY, Do-It-U-Self V-style windshield, how to and pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38Chevy454, Jul 14, 2003.

1. I needed to make some type of windshield posts for my modified roadster, It was a 32 truck cowl, with the posts cut off. The cowl is narrowed, so I was left wondering what to do. I like the V-style windshields, such as DuVall or Hallock, but of course they would not fit my narrowed cowl (or my budget!!!). I had been looking for some of the brackets like used on the old wood boats such as Chris Craft or Gar Wood, but the only ones I found were very high priced and usually needing re-chrome or other work.

So I decided that I could make my own to copy the style of the wood boat windshield brackets. Here is a picture of the final mock-up with cardboard in place. Following posts will show the details of how I made the brackets, I still have not figured out the multiple picture thing.

Attached Files:

2. For the side posts, I had a friend mill a 5/16 slot in some tubing. The slot is 6.5 inches length. I also trimmed the one end off at an angle that matched the lean back and the angle of the cowl. Lots of trial fitting and cutting till I was happy with the fit. I will put thin rubber around the glass when I install the glass for good.

Attached Files:

3. For the center bar, I cut a piece of larger tubing slightly off center. I ground the edges to clean them up and also kind of take up the space where the glass will go. This is a picture of a small scrap piece cut form the end to show the approx cut line

Attached Files:

4. To continue the center bar fabrication. I then welded some nuts inside the tube, and drilled holes for the mating piece. These will sandwich the glass between them. I also cut the end to fit the laid back angle.

Attached Files:

5. Here is another view showing the side profile and a better understanding how it mounts. I only have one small screw attaching them for now, and will use two larger 1/4 inch bolts for each post when it is mounted for good. I am not sure baout the height of the center bar, it seems a little high to me, the galss is about 10 inches high at the post. I still look over the glass as it is now, so lower won't affect any of my vision, but could make more wind buffeting my head.

Attached Files:

6. Nice work, Terry. This thread will probably come in handy when I get to the windshield stage of my project....THANKS!

7. Looks good Terry.
    I just thought of something after seeing it tonight... you might want to just get some plexiglass or polycarbonate(?) to use... I did that for the RR for the first year I drove it and it worked great... cheap and easy to do yourself...

8. 38', That's great work. I've always loved those windshields. Hard to do across that narrow cowl. Nice motor too! (Yeah, and firewall!) Gonna save this one. (I do love how-to's)
    Thought you'd enjoy seeing similar windshield work (factory) back in the day. Every windshield seems to have its own shape or character. Yours reminds me of the late 20's Amilcar. Little French sports racer. Narrow across the cowl too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] -Keith

9. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

great stuff, i hope this ends up in the tech section.

HEY RYAN!!!! there were a couple other tech threads i was hoping to find in the tech section but they are'nt there (such as BobBleeds H-bomb grill how to) any chance you might be digging these out at some point and adding them? we LOOOOVE the home grown how toos, they RAWK!!!

KUSTOM!

10. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

11. MGB's have solid aluminum side posts that will work too. you can grind the end to fit any contour.

12. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Look at how the glass curves down to meet the center bar on the car SLOWLEARNER posted! Might work to lower your center bar a little without losing glass height...
    Nice job on the windshield stanchions!

Bill

13. av8

av8

Nice, Tery. Just have a concern about triangulation of the outboard posts. Having trapped a hand under my windshield at about 80 per (long story) I know there is a tremendous about of air pressure that will be trying to flatten your windshield.

This one has two bolts, and the faired base provides a bit of trainagulation. This windshield isn't likely to be pushed faster than 50 mph, however.

Attached Files:

14. Slowlearner, thanks for that old pic, gives some ideas for me to think about.

AV8, the posts are made from 1/8 wall tubing, they are very strong. I agree the wind force can be very high. I had thought about adding a brace to the back of the side posts, but I think I will leave it as-is for now. With the mounting plates I have welded to the posts, and I was going to put a reinforcement under the cowl metal, I think it will be fine. I plan to use 1/4 inch bolts, two in each post, so it will be mounted plenty stout. The glass of course will be laminated safety glass.

Anyone know where I can get the rubber to fit along the bottom edge such as in AV8's picture?

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

looks good,

i think if i were going to try and lower the top id lean the posts back just a touch more. leaving the good size glass but lowering a bit also

just a thought

16. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

That looks sweet .......... i love it when a How-To actually looks like I-Can ....

17. Crease

Crease

Looks real nice! Always wanted to make one, but feared machining the curve over the cowl. That's a great way to deal with it. Cool idea!

18. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, Bud. I love the idea of a Duvall-styled windshield on your roadster. My concern about yours is the size of the bolts you intend to use. I am somewhat of an overkiller, so please take that into considerstion. My 2" chopped Deuce windshield stanchions are anchored by one 7/16 main bolt, then one 5/16 bolt to stabilize and prevent twisting the post. Both are grade 8, cad plated. Your windshield will have less backforce because of the angle, but I just wanted to tell you what originals used. Gonna be sooo neat.

19. alchemy

alchemy

Gary this thread is 12 years old.

20. A Boner

A Boner

This thread is 12 years old.....how about some pictures of the completed modified roadster, and the cool windshield!

21. Wow, talk about a post back from the dead (sorry, bad pun.....)

I sold that little roadster way back about 2004 (I think? maybe was 2005) at Paso Robles show. Last I knew it went form that buyer to a HAMBer who bought it down around Lompoc, CA? Maybe he will see this and can post a picture. I don't even have any pics of it in my photobucket account, might have some at home on my computer. I did end up shortening the center post about 3 inches to make it look better, although the windshield was purely for looks, it became useless for much of an actual windscreen.

The roadster was just a bunch of cast-off parts assembled to make a fun in-town car. A narrowed 32 truck cowl, T touring back panel, 2x3 frame, Model A axle with Econoline spindles and brakes, 8-inch rear mounted 2-link style. Steering was a 57-60 F-100 box and column. The engine and trans were a take-out 52 Ford 215 six and Ford-O-Matic, with some steel wheels and 5.60x15 front and 6.50x15 rear tires if my memory is right. Had a early 50's Jaguar front grille sort of covering the 60's Mustang radiator, and VW bus gas tank with kind of a rectangular shape mounted behind the rear panel. It was fun in town, but it was far from a high tech or detailed build. Kind of scary on the highway when your head is lower than the top of big truck tires or bottom of the trailer.