Register now to get rid of these ads!

June 16, 1963 McMinnville Oregon dragstrip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 345WindowOregon, Dec 10, 2007.

1. 345WindowOregon

345WindowOregon

This photo was taken from approximately 30,000 feet, directly over what is now runway 4 at the McMinnville Airport. That date was a Sunday, shortly after schools let out. I've placed a higher resolution scan here.
    Bring back memories to anyone? Fairly busy for a small dragstrip in western Oregon. Within a few years this strip was closed to drag racing.

Attached Files:

2. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Dan - I was only 3 at the time, and had just moved back to Mac from LA, so I can't help you much!! Most likely one of the last Columbia Timing Association (CTA) drag races. I have a trophy from 1962 there on the Airstrip. I think Bob Tindle used to run the Orange Crate there. I would love to see some pics from there at ground level. Good stuff man - great find!! Someone in this bunch was there.....
    As a side note, I think Pete Sukalac used to take his pictures of cars from our area (such as Ron Courtney's X51) for the rod mags out there. Tim :)

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Back in the early 60s, before drag racing became all big buck and corperate, and was still sort of a new and unique sport, HRM would feature the smaller tracks around the country. Here's some scans from Jan. 61 HRM of McMinnville.

Attached Files:

4. old beet

old beet

More than likely I was there, we ran C/A every Sunday for years. Mac, Woodburn, The Dalles and Scapoose and a little Sandy Blvd. Oh and the Bandfield Freeway..OLDBEET

5. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Killer pics Rootie. Some pretty nice stuff running in town!! Wonder where they are now? Beet - I remember Glen Volz telling me about he and Clarence Everett prepping their Bonneville car on a brand new section of what is now I-5 in Salem before it was connected to anything! I think he said they could get up to about 150 there..... I bet the Banfield was a great place to run in the days beofre radar, and traffic!! Anyone have any more pics, or stories?? Tim :)

6. That perticular day was my last Drag Race befor I reported to Ft Ord CA for US Army basic training. (Draftee) Put a slight crimp in my Drag Racing career. Was running a 62 409 409 4 speed car, ran 12.8 108 and took the SS class. Was sponsered by Van's Auto Truck Repair where I wrenched. Still have the trophy packed away somewhere. Ran there and Woodburn, Madras, Pt Orford, Medford and once at Redding. Was with KLAN racing team then. Saw Tindle's Orange Crate, The Glass Slipper. The Slo Poks cars, Lowell Wells Dodge Hemi 34 3 W in Altered, a white 57 Vette with an Isky that turned 10 grand. Absolutely amazing!! Was seriously active in Drags from 58 thru 63. 58-61 up in Seattle area. Bayview, Shelton, Sun Field, Bremerton. Was working for Boeing in Renton building 707s then. Quit there and went back to Eugene/Springfield area till Ft Ord. Worked heavy const and wrenched then. Had a 350 Horse 348 4 spd 60 Impala, Black one with a Candy Burgandy stripe. I raced it around there till I got my 09. AH, those were the days!! All I have left from serious race days is my 65 Dodge 426SS car, A real factory W51 Race Hemi car, 76 miles on it. Hasn't seen a strip since 74. Later Dave

7. Gabehas2manycars

Gabehas2manycars

Ive got a article from Hotrod on the Mac Drag Strip, Ill find it, some good photos!

8. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Well heck Dave, Break out the 65 and let all take a look at a real 426SS ......

9. earlymopar

earlymopar

I used to go to the MAC dragstrip often with my older brothers and dad when we moved to Newberg from Iowa in 1960 (were I still live). Being just a little kid I don't have a lot of driver names but certainly Bill Ireland and Tindle come to mind. Actually, my brother owns Bob Tindle's old 65 Plymouth cfactory A990 car campaigned as "Lurch". It was purchased for $1000 without the engine at the end of the 65 season just before my brother headed out for Viet Nam. The car has 19 miles on the odometer!

The MAC strip was at one time an airstrip but it is not part of the current MAC airport as it is separated by few miles. The last time I drove by the location it was still being used as a glider strip for a local glider club.

- EM

10. earlymopar

earlymopar

The Desoto-powered "T" in the pictures that Rootie posted is now in the Hot Rod Museum in Pomona.....

- EM

11. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

The airstrip/dragstrip is at a 90 degree angle to the current airstrip, and IS used for glider laundhes and landings - but us right on airport property, no miles away! We should try and put together an event of some sort there. Wonder if we could pull it off......

12. earlymopar

earlymopar

The airstrip/dragstrip is at a 90 degree angle to the current airstrip, and IS used for glider laundhes and landings - but us right on airport property, no miles away! We should try and put together an event of some sort there. Wonder if we could pull it off......

Understood. I was thinking of the few miles by road betwen them not thinking (or even realizing) that the old airport strip is at the east end of the current airport property.