Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are vintage tags legal in NE and or IA??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IOWA, Jul 14, 2004.

1. IOWA

IOWA

Does anybody know if "vintage" license plates are registerable with that same year vehicle? I.E. If I have a set of 1955 plates from that state, can I register my '55 with that set of 1955 license plates? Does either the state of Nebraska or Iowa allow this? I heard they did.

2. 53Chebby

53Chebby

Here in Iowa vintage tags aren't legal, but a lot of guys will run them to shows and parades and that type of thing. I also know guys that run them on the fronts, but have the new plates on the back. I don't know about Nebraska so maybe one of them can speak on that.

3. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

any time i have used vintage plates i will get vanity plates with the vintage plate # on it. i have been pulled over and non of the cops ever said a word to me

Gasser 57 likes this.
  4. I think in Iowa you can get historical plates with the same number but I also thought they were working to allow use of those vintage plates.

5. I don't think you can legally run vintage plates in Iowa.I was stopped by a state trooper a couple of years ago for that very reason(I was also doing 75 in a 55 zone).He questioned my use of the 55 Michigan tag on my Safari.
    I am pretty familiar with the law and explained it to him to his satisfaction.He wrote me a warning for the speeding and suggested I get my speedometer checked when I got back to Michigan!Nice guy!

6. I re-read I did not explain very good. In Iowa you can get a "historical"(maybe called antique now) plate for anything 20 years and older. You are suppose to be able to get it vanity(personalized) plates in these historical plates. Therefore it would look similar to the vintage plates.
    I do know a couple of years ago the local DMV was saying that state was investigating using plates as long as they were the same year as the car. Not sure it every went anywhere.

As far as state trooper you had to be on eastern side of Iowa. West of Des Moines they are not so plesant.

7. [ QUOTE ]

As far as state trooper you had to be on eastern side of Iowa. West of Des Moines they are not so plesant.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was in Monticello for the Run to Camp Courageous.My friend Big John Hulick hosts the charity panel jam there.

8. Kurt

Kurt

I just read the auto laws online about plates. If it is a parade type car only you can register the same year plates as the car. Over 20 years if i remember you can run the same year on the front only for full time use, but you must carry the front plate in the car with you at all times.

9. 34savethesalt9_18.jpg In Nebraska you can run either Historical plates or same-year plates. If you choose same-year plates, they have to be sent to the DMV palace in Lincoln so the license plate nazis can look 'em over and pass judgement on them. If they like them, you can slap them on your car.
    However, if you chose to buy Nebraska historical plates, it's a sweet deal for only $62.50 [last time I did it] for a lifetime registration. Never have to pay another red cent to have legal license plates on the car. You can sell the car and take your historical plates with you....have them assigned to your new hot rod for a measly $25.
    Catch is, you're only supposed to drive the historical plated car to club events, parades, to the shop for work etc etc...Good news is, the law is un-enforceable. I'm always on my way to a parade or some shit...
    Other Good news is, you only have to run a rear plate when using either same-year or historical plates...but the car or truck hasta be 30 years old to qualify..
    Bad news is, the local po-leece don't know about the rear-plate-only law. You gotta carry a scanned copy of the law in your wallet to show their dumb asses or they'll write you a ticket for having no front plate.
    All in all, the historical plate is the good deal but they're really plain looking with only a number and no letters...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  10. In Iowa it is legal to run year-of-make plates on cars older than 25 years old, provided the car is used for exhibition purposes and is legally registered in the state. Technically the vintage plates are only to be on the car when it's on the road if you're driving to/from a show/parade/etc or maintenance shop, although we have not been stopped for having the vintage plates on while driving around town or elsewhere for other purposes.

Here is the applicable IA code:
    http://www.legis.state.ia.us/IACODE/2003/321/115.html

The full Iowa motor vehicle code can be found here:
    http://www.legis.state.ia.us/IACODE/2003/321/

11. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Rocky ,anywhere you go it's a parade!!

12. IOWA

IOWA

Thanks for the info guys. I love this board. Always solid info and some great ideas for the price of a simple question.
    It's time (actually past time) the re-up the '55. Looks like I'll be keeping it in Omaha and just get the little sticker. I liked Slag Kustoms idea though. Better than sending the plates to the Licence Nazis.
    Love, Iowa (somebody's got to)

13. 46 Ford Truck UK

46 Ford Truck UK

Yes in Iowa you can register the antique plates on your vehicle but the catch is that DMV must approve it, then you can only use the vehicle for shows, parades, and stuff like that. Which means that you can not drive it down to the local store just to grab some grub. I was just at the Des Moines Iowa DMV on Feb 1 2020 and got the low down straight from them.

Beanscoot likes this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well Damn, 46 Ford truck for your second post you might just want to look at the dates of the previous posts before sharing your infinite wisdom with us. Poor thread has laid in it's grave unbothered since frigging July 16, 2004. 16 years it laid there and Google wooped your butt.

5window, j hansen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. .....That's hilarious!:D:)

16. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yes they are legal in Nebraska

17. Neb Hillbilly

Neb Hillbilly

You can do it in Nebraska as well but it is supposed to only be driven to car events and test and tune, the reason my Chevelle doesn't have one cause I summer daily it and don't need more attention. You only need one plate.

Sent from my S48c using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I think I would carry the rules from the code books in my car if I ran those plates. For officers who don`t don`t the laws. We now have black plates in Iowa.

19. sunbeam

sunbeam

In Kansas I hear they are writing tickets for nonstock wheels on cars that are 35 years old with antique tags.

20. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Wait, what? Re-issues?

21. Gastrap

Gastrap
    from Tama, Iowa

Wow, old thread!
    Iowa law has changed, so new replies are relevant.
    We can now run YOM plates from any county. They're loaded as a tracking number on the current regular registration with no restrictions like the historic plates had.
    I like the new black plates even though they look cheap. I have them one one OT vehicle.

22. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Big changes since 2004 so new replies are acceptable.

In Iowa you can run the YOM plates if your car is pre 1948. You have to buy current plates and must keep the current issue plates in the car. You also do not have to run the front plate anymore. You must keep the plate in the car if the police want to see it.

I just bought the black plates for my ‘32. They cost a bit more but that money is earmarked for road projects so it’s worth it.

SPark

16DE45EB-41D8-4487-9860-B64CCBD2C01B.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Frankie47 and Truck64 like this.
  23. Nebr DMV also makes you apply a nice, narrow little reflective sticker that says "HISTORICAL" on the front of the plate to prove you've paid the fees to use YOM plates. Have them on my '55 and both '63 T-birds - front & rear on the '55 because I had a matching pair, rear only on the bird's. No sticker makes you "fair game" to the geandarmes and holsteins (that's "po-lice" to you folks not in the know).

Frankie47 likes this.
  24. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

25. Without overthinking it, Slabs method will work. I'm in NJ. If you have a pair of vintage wheat colored or possibly even the older black with orange lettering plates that are no longer on file, order a set of vanity plates with that same reg. number. Trust me, none of the young cops riding around in radio cars today were even alive when wheat plates were being issued and they've got bigger fish to fry. As long as when they run your tag it comes back OK through the computer it's difficult to imagine them giving you a hard time about it but remember attitude is everything. You can keep your modern plates stored in the car just in case you run into an issue. I think the cool factor is well worth the risk.

Truck64 likes this.
  26. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

One thing to be careful about is driving a "Historical" or similarly registered car too often if it is supposed to be only used for getting to events and the like.
    If you are involved in a collision, the authorities in my neck of the woods will ask around to find out if you drive it when you aren't supposed to. Like asking your employer if the car is often in his parking lot.

27. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

So did Iowa have different color plates for a pickup versus a car? I also see they had number identifiers for the different counties.