Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fain's speed shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carbs & Chrome, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Just bought a CA car and on the column drop is a sticker for Fain's speed shop. Anyone know anything about them?

2. RatBone

RatBone

Jimmy Fain is a Ventura racer and hot rodder. They just sold their parts store but kept the machine shop in the back. Real nice guy, has a convertable 50 Chevy with a wicked GMC 6 in it.

3. Thanks.

How old is the place?

Got any pics of the car?

4. 53chevy

53chevy

Fain's in no more. I had an issue with them about three yrs ago. It was a repeatable name once, now it no better than Billy Bob's garage in BFE. The parts store is NAPA, repair shop just sold again, and the owner is trying to sell his machine shop. I lost alot of money because of a repair not done right. I wouldn't worry about the name now, just my 2 cents.

Ken

5. RatBone

RatBone

Probably since the 70s I didn't move here till 84

Ill dig when I get home and see if I have any pics

others from ventura (Kiwi Kev) probably know more

6. I just borrowed Jim's old photo albums so will have some cool pictures to post soon but probably not for a couple of days.

7. Cool, thanks!

8. Here are the pictures I promised. Jim and his wife Connie are very involved in the local car scene as members of the Ventura Vintage Rods club. They have 3 beautifully finished cars. A fully fenderd 34 roadster, bright red with small block Ford power. A 51 Ford Victoria and a 50 Chevy convertable with GMC power (Wayne Head). Jim was originally a meat cutter who then went into business starting a speed shop/auto parts store/machine shop. This would have been the early 70's. He built it up through the 80's, 90's, 2000's and sold the auto parts side a few years ago' He is still operating the machine shop. I've known Jim for many years, he's a real nice guy who likes to do things right. He has a long racing history so here are some pics from his albums.

His first racer. 56 Chevy at Santa Maria...........

[​IMG]

9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Cool more photos.

10. This 40 Chevy coupe was Jim's next race car..........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Next Jim built and raced this Henry J for several years all over So Cal and even tavelling to Phoenix and winning his class at a national event..........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Next came this Vette. Jim didn't have this one too long. It is the car used on the Fains apeed shop logo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Jim was very involved in trying to get a drag strip in Ventura County back in the early 70's. The Ventura County Timing Association was formed and they really tried hard. They did get to put on several meets at the Camarillo airport that were very successful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Here is a pic of a VCTA display at the Ventura Fairgrounds, (Primer Nats location)......

[​IMG]

15. Here are some misc' pics from Jims albums.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Thanks for pics and info. I know Jim and now know more about him. He never talks up himself and truly is a nice guy....All his cars are class..

17. Cool, thanks. I appreciate you posting this stuff!

18. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

[​IMG]

Ouch! that is painful seeing all the parts just all thrown in the back of the truck, particularly the hemi with the blower still on top. that was a bad day at the track for sure :(

19. RatBone

RatBone

Wow! Thanks Kevin for putting those up.

20. Many Thanks Kevin.

Easy to look back and see where Jim was going in life.

His high school car was a McCulloch blown flatmotor 50 Ford sedan.
    White in color, very clean and very much the sleeper.

Talked to him off and on over the years although little brother Louie knows him better than I do.

An honorable man.

21. Rusty

Rusty

Awesome pics, that willis sure looks scary

22. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

Great thread, thanks for the pictures!

23. awsome thanks kevin

24. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Thanks for the pics Kev....great thread..

25. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

Those are some great pics... thanks for posting!