Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 11-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #81
ME.GASSER
Alliance Member

Default Re: Women in Hot Rodding

Ryan,
Great post!!!! I am a certified car nut. I have helped my husband rebuild motors and restore a couple of willys coupes. I also wish that more of my female friends were into cars as i am. I just don't enjoy learning how to knit or scrapbook (not that theres anything wrong with that) it's just not my thing. Now sitting on a bleacher and watching a willys go screaming by at 110mph that to me is absolute heaven. I have become friends with barb hamilton in the last few years. She was the first woman to receive her NHRA drag racing license even before shirley did. Her willys is a down right animal. To see the smile on her face when she's under the wheel of that thing is priceless. To me there is nothing any better than having the ground under your feet shake when a high power car drives past. I'm getting excited just thinking about it. So to all of you woman out there who love your cars and getting greasy I say GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!! My love for cars will never lessen only get stronger.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:53 PM   #82
Lobucrod
Alliance Member

Man I love that shot of the girl doing the one handed sideways smoker with the other hand on the jockey shift and one foot on the clutch, and smiling all the time. One tuff mama right there. Looks like the flagman is lifting his foot before she trims his toenails with the back tire. I love it!
Old 11-28-2007, 05:11 PM   #83
Lim34
FNG

ChevyGirlRox.

Im in the UK in a large well established car club. Alot of the wife's now have a variety 32', 34' and 37' Ford convertabiles. It must be something to do with the wind in your hair !!, lucky alot of us blokes are a bit short in That department.
Ian
offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-28-2007, 05:29 PM   #84
MonsterGarage
FNG

speaking of women and cars.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPgHNoVIS7E

don't know which link will work
Old 11-28-2007, 05:31 PM   #85
Dakota Kid

I think you said it perfect... I couldnt of said it better myslef!!!

dakota kid
Old 11-28-2007, 05:33 PM   #86
hotrodladycrusr
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamCouver View Post

but BS or no, in observation to the photo, I make note that the chicks dont have tattoos and wonder where they have gone. "chicks without tattoos that is."
Look at the photo of the 4 of us. Do you see any tatts? "We" have not gone anywhere. I can't speak for the rest of the girls BUT I would rather spend my money on car parts then body art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrseclipse View Post
glad to see there are plenty of educated car womens on this forum, im sure i can learn alot from you gals, and hope to meet y'all soon
Come to the Lonestar RoundUp in April in Austin TX and we can all get together for a cocktail or something and chat about hot rods and hot guys. Megan and I will be there and Kisam (Kathy, from your area) as well as ALOT of the Thunderbolt's gals who are now called the CherryBombs and have their own cars. We're just normal car girls, not "scenesters" into drama. Looking forward to meeting you.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:35 PM   #87
gal6xie5
Grenade Inspector

Great thread. I agree with Rox, it is very hard to find balance. When my mom, who is/was never a hot rod lady got her race car she said in no uncertain terms was I to race it. Two years later, I got behind the wheel of it and have not looked back. I love it when I hit the staging lanes and the guy who winds up running against me goes 'dang I gotta race the girl!'.

On the other hand, I've been insulted many times by so called 'hot rod guys' who seem to think that if I show up dressed in heels to a show that I have not built my own car. One guy asked who's car it was, I said mine, he said never mind you won't know...I got mad and said I probably do, well I didn't know what backspacing was on that certain type of wheels I was running, but man don't shoot me down before you even talk to me!

I enjoy the best of both worlds, I dress up for shows, but when I have to I get just as dirty as the guys.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #88
lrseclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodladycrusr View Post
Come to the Lonestar RoundUp in April in Austin TX and we can all get together for a cocktail or something and chat about hot rods and hot guys. Megan and I will be there and Kisam (Kathy, from your area) as well as ALOT of the Thunderbolt's gals who are now called the CherryBombs and have their own cars. We're just normal car girls, not "scenesters" into drama. Looking forward to meeting you.
That would be AWESOME! We could always hit up Guero's for some good ol' 'ritas! it will be great to meet some gals who aren't into all the drama. the local forums have hit a downward spiral because of it

i don't know if i can keep up with y'alls' car talk unless you wanna talk about forced induction, but im sure ill learn alot from yall i havent rebuilt a carburetor since high school. ill hopefully be drivin a new project down there, looking forward to meetin you gals!
Old 11-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #89
cleatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodChassis View Post

This photo is cool as hell!
Anyone know more about her?
Old 11-28-2007, 06:50 PM   #90
autobilly
Old School HAMBer

Chicks have been part of hot rodding since the start. Life is alot easier for guys like us if our wife/girlfriend digs cars.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:51 PM   #91
Jive-Bomber
Alliance Member

I think I've got the best of both worlds with my wife-- She's not a "gearhead" with a ton of car knowledge, or superb mechanical ability, but she loves traditional hot rodding, supports my car habits completely, and will ride with me shotgun to almost any car event I'm into: We drove in my 39 Merc for 400+ miles to the Primer Nationals with the top down along the coast at night (It got pretty chilly!). She rides along in my roadster to Paso almost every year as well.

Early on in our marriage, I tried to buy her old cars to own and customize, but I finally realized that its MY passion, and she's happy with just supporting me however she can, and learning more about what I love so much along the way...

Icing on the cake? She doesn't look too shabby hanging around the cars either!!!
(At least she's not some clueless model just posing...)

Photo: Copyright David Perry Studios
Old 11-28-2007, 07:04 PM   #92
povertyflats
Old School HAMBer

With all the traveling and photojournalism done by Megan and Denise, it is very possible they will be famous women hot rodders who will be researched by future hot rodders. Hell, we follow their every move now.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:05 PM   #93
**MCQUEEN**

Old 11-28-2007, 07:12 PM   #94
Jimmy B
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus View Post
This photo is cool as hell!
Anyone know more about her?
That is one of the best Farking pics I have seen.

Hot Rods of the Dry Lakes Era

jimmy

Last edited by Jimmy B; 11-28-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #95
Brandy
Old School HAMBer

Some of those Cheese Cake Derby pics were taken here in Bakersfield. Should be the same track I live near.

I love all of these pics, that girl on that bike shiftin gears and grinnin ear to ear has earned HIGH marks in my book. WOW!

Veda Orr is my heroine, she just don't know it. Doris Stinson? She's one hell of a tough cookie as well.

One of these days, when I grow up, I wanna be just like them.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:24 PM   #96
Cshabang

I want a girl like that....you know, one that'll spin wrenches with me and tolerate my insanity, but still be a girl...

Would I be bitching if i said i was sick of people BITCHING?
online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:25 PM   #97
Rolo
Alliance Vendor

This is one of my favorites! Not one, but two girls, and a bitchin' car! Texas...somewhere around the mid-fifties.

Proud to be a HAMB Alliance Vendor
Old 11-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #98
Lil' Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamCouver View Post
those are some hardcore chicks, where did they all go anyway?

id also like to add that tattoos belong on sailors and hot-rodders not chicks.
O/T for a minute here, I gotta disagree. Nothing hotter than a girl with tattoos and not the stereotypical ones.

Back to the topic at hand, it's always cool to read about the old days and the people that participated, especially those you don't normally here about(the ladies). I think it would be an interesting book. So who's gonna write it?
Old 11-28-2007, 07:30 PM   #99
Stevie G
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
One of these days, when I grow up, I wanna be just like them.
You're going to grow up?
Cool!!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:40 PM   #100
Ace Brown

Here's one of my gal Heidi, under her '57 chevy adjusting her brakes before she drove to Indy for the Road Rockets, and one of us by her baby...She even drives with me in my model A in 30 degree Ohio weather! Or even in the 110 degree heat at the drag strip, she's either in her own, or putting up with heat and no pipes. it's nice to have a girl who doesn't bitch if i buy car parts