Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 11-26-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
48fordnut
Alliance Member

Default tech: removing phillips screws

I learned about removing rusty screws from working on crop dusters. I was taught to use valve grinding compound on the phillips bit because it gives a grip. I have removed hundreds of rusty screws with this method.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
Frank

Default Re: tech: removing phillips screws

I always had a hard time believing it worked until I tried it myself, now its one of the first things I do to a really rusty screw instead of chewing it up first. It really works.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
Fresh469
Grenade Inspector

what i usually do if i dso not plan on saving the screw is cut a slot in it with a dremel so that i can use a flathead that is wider than the screw so that it cannot slip unless the head breaks.....
Old 11-26-2007, 11:11 AM   #4
HemiRambler
Old School HAMBer

I've also had very good results with an IMPACT DRIVER like this one:

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000723.php

I got mine(SnapOn) CHEAP at a Swapmeet
Old 11-26-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
CB_Chief

I try the screw if it is clean or only slightly rusty but use the following process otherwise. I use the phillips head as a center guide and drill them out. I drill them the with the recommended tap drill size and re-tap to clean the threads. I spend less time that way than if I tried to fight them out.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine
Old 11-26-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
TurboRay
Grenade Inspector

DITTO on the impact driver, as mentioned by HemiRambler! If the cross-slots on the screw head aren't boogered already from previous removal attempts, an impact driver will almost ALWAYS back the screw out, as long as it isn't stuck so bad that the shank breaks. It's also a good idea to "shoot" the screw with PB Blaster, or some other good penetrating oil, and allow it to soak in for a few minutes prior to the removal attempt.

C'ya - RAY
Old 11-26-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
rusty1
Old School HAMBer

heat the screw head with a small welding tip on your torch until it;s just orange, they will come loose 99% of the time...
Old 11-26-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
lewislynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB_Chief View Post
I try the screw if it is clean or only slightly rusty but use the following process otherwise. I use the phillips head as a center guide and drill them out. I drill them the with the recommended tap drill size and re-tap to clean the threads. I spend less time that way than if I tried to fight them out.
Use a left hand bit slightly smaller than tap size and the screw will often twist right out at some point...I've done that with exhaust manifold bolts with some success.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:07 PM   #9
lewislynn

Another way for any screw, bolt or nut is to tap a sacrificial flat blade screw driver, punch, or chisel at an angle in the direction of rotationon with a hammer on the outside edge.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:21 PM   #10
oktr6r
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB_Chief View Post
Try that with a left hand drill bit. Some will back right out when the bit really starts biting into the metal.
'68 Chevy truck
'68 Chevy II Nova 4 door
'68 Fiat Spider 850 "Project Fiat Fiasco"
'63 Dodge Town Panel "Bad Karma"
Too many project bikes to list
Old 11-26-2007, 07:43 PM   #11
junk yard kid

i use a die grinder and cut a slot for a big flathead the heat and vibration seem to help too
Old 11-26-2007, 08:07 PM   #12
skajaquada

hell, i've been wondering what to do with the valve lapping compound i have until i start on the new engine. thanks for the tip!!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:41 PM   #13
21stud
Grenade Inspector

I've had very good luck with needle nose vise grips on the head of the screw ( if possible) turn with the vise grips and the screw driver at the same time. Sometimes I've found it justs needs alittle help.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:29 AM   #14
Don Lyon
Grenade Inspector

I have used all the methods described and all WILL work. But the EASIEST WAY I HAVE FOUND is to spray / soak with Aerokroil, let it / them sit for a while. Use a 1/2 inch speed handle / apex bit, they will back right out.If you dont have room for the speed handle, use a ratchet.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:55 AM   #15
wfopossum
Grenade Inspector

In the aviation biz we use what's called an"old man" it's just a handle for leverage used with an air hammer,I'm sure there's a more technical term for it,maybe someone on the board might know. Works very well.

http://www.myspace.com/thefnaholes
Old 11-27-2007, 06:28 AM   #16
nexxussian
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopossum View Post
In the aviation biz we use what's called an"old man" it's just a handle for leverage used with an air hammer,I'm sure there's a more technical term for it,maybe someone on the board might know. Works very well.
'Old Man' 'Screw Knocker' '#%!!*&$##' (if your a dumbass like me and let the web of skin between your fingers get between the bulge on the shank and the nose of the air hammer, without a guard on it)

I have been wanting to try the one you take a screw out next to it and anchor the tool so you can lever the apex bit harder into the stubborn screw. Can't seem to find a pic though.

'Cause it's s'posed to be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Goggles View Post
I mean Ive got an angle grinder and a hot metal pump who says I can't make my own manifolds
Old 11-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #17
speedway
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxussian View Post
'Old Man' 'Screw Knocker' '#%!!*&$##' (if your a dumbass like me and let the web of skin between your fingers get between the bulge on the shank and the nose of the air hammer, without a guard on it)

I have been wanting to try the one you take a screw out next to it and anchor the tool so you can lever the apex bit harder into the stubborn screw. Can't seem to find a pic though.
these work great, way better than a impact driver. they are easy to make with an air hammer punch, an all thread nut and 3/8 socket extension to hold a socket w the screwdriver bit. slip on a ratcheting end wrench and hammer away. a soaking w gibbs also helps
Old 11-28-2007, 03:42 PM   #18
greasel
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48fordnut View Post
I learned about removing rusty screws from working on crop dusters. I was taught to use valve grinding compound on the phillips bit because it gives a grip. I have removed hundreds of rusty screws with this method.
works unbelievably well. breaking the flush-head screws loose in the fuel tank inspection covers I use the compound and hammer the screwdriver in with an impact, using a wrench on the screwdriver(on my snap-ons, there's a hex right at the base of the handle). when that doesn't work, we have a bunch of the Craftsman bolt/screw extractors that are amazing.

btw, rusty screws tells me you worked on either ag-cats or thrushes, correct? I'm an A&P and work full time mostly with AirTractors.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:20 PM   #19
Don Moyer
Old School HAMBer

I use the ball peen hammer trick. Take a ball peen hammer and hit the head of the screw and colapse the phillips groves some. Then take your phillips screw driver and stick it on the screw aligned with the crushed in slots. Give it a wack on the handle with a leather or dead blow hammer. This will seat the screw driver (or impact driver bit) into the screw for a custom fit. The shock also helps break the rust. Turn while pressing down on the hammer. Gets most of them out.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:34 PM   #20
wc chopper
Grenade Inspector

when that doesn't work, we have a bunch of the Craftsman bolt/screw extractors that are amazing.

btw, rusty screws tells me you worked on either ag-cats or thrushes, correct? I'm an A&P and work full time mostly with AirTractors.[/quote]

I have loads of those screw extractors I used to make em when I was a machinist and would drop em in my pocket everyonce in a while. For research of course.